All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

I've got a weird feeling that they are going to thump Denver on Thursday, only to have the favor returned to them on Sunday.

Th mpls lakers were in mn from 1947 til 1959. I assumed they were here for 30-40 years

One thing I've learned in these playoffs is that basketball is basketball, especially when the stakes are high. Sure, Jokic routinely making amazing shots is part of this, but another part is his impeccable passing. Sharing the ball, taking care of the ball, rebounding, effort... Who was it that said that the ball can move faster on a pass than a ball handler can dribbling?

If your hopes rest on the suspension of one of the other team's stars, you're not good enough. If the object of the playoffs is to determine the best team, Murray plays, and I'm sure that's the mindset the NBA was in when they made the judgment.
Look. To be clear I’m not saying the Timberwolves needed Murray to be suspended. I’m saying the guy should’ve been suspended under any fair judgment of the rules. And I’m saying that it was more a boon to the Nuggets chances than it was a detriment to our chances. That decision was a fucking joke in every way imaginable. And while the Timberwolves don’t have much of a right to whine about it with the way. they’ve played the Nuggets sure benefited and received boost from that decision.

And when you add in that long break at that exact same time for them to regroup and take advantage of that boost, it was the perfect storm for them to takeoff. And both things can be true. The wolves have fucking sucked for three games. And Murray should have been suspended.

assuming the Wolves do not pull off a stirring comeback - as you look toward next year, there is one really big issue hanging over the team - who the bleep is going to be the owner?

a lot of the off-season decisions will hinge on salary issues - how much luxury tax is the owner willing to pay? under one estimate, the Wolves are only $500,000 or so away from the 2nd luxury tax threshold. that makes it really tricky to make any moves to improve the team.

If Connelly wants to trade KAT, for instance, does the owner have to sign off on the deal?

But - if the ownership is up in the air, who makes those decisions? can those decisions be made?

so I don't see a lot happening until the arbitrator decides who should be the owner - and the league signs off on the decision. and then, if AFraud and Lore wind up as the owners - do they have the money to operate the team and pay the luxury tax, if necessary?

Look. To be clear I’m not saying the Timberwolves needed Murray to be suspended. I’m saying the guy should’ve been suspended under any fair judgment of the rules. And I’m saying that it was more a boon to the Nuggets chances than it was a detriment to our chances. That decision was a fucking joke in every way imaginable. And while the Timberwolves don’t have much of a right to whine about it with the way. they’ve played the Nuggets sure benefited and received boost from that decision.

And when you add in that long break at that exact same time for them to regroup and take advantage of that boost, it was the perfect storm for them to takeoff. And both things can be true. The wolves have fucking sucked for three games. And Murray should have been suspended.
Correct

That's all fair, but the long break could have ended up benefitting either team depending on the circumstances. It wasn't intentionally formulated to aid one team at the expense of the other.

That's all fair, but the long break could have ended up benefitting either team depending on the circumstances. It wasn't intentionally formulated to aid one team at the expense of the other.
I didn’t say that either. I said it was a perfect storm. After those first two games going the way they did, Denver ended up being the team that needed that long break and it came right when they needed it. And then you throw in the ridiculous NBA decision on Murray, and things were looking up for the old Nuggets.

And with all that said, the Timberwolves have their chance to flip the script once again tomorrow night. I hope they do.

I didn’t say that either. I said it was a perfect storm. After those first two games going the way they did, Denver ended up being the team that needed that long break and it came right when they needed it. And then you throw in the ridiculous NBA decision on Murray, and things were looking up for the old Nuggets.

And with all that said, the Timberwolves have their chance to flip the script once again tomorrow night. I hope they do.
I wonder if the Wolves players took this same attitude and let it erode their confidence. Or if the Nuggets saw things falling their way and it gave them a boost. One way or another, it's up to the Timberwolves how well they play. The other night, Edwards scored 40 plus, but Denver made sure that wasn't enough. Jokic may get his 40, but the Wolves can play well enough otherwise to win the game.

No Conley? Makes a Wolves win a very, very long shot indeed. Though it can happen. Maybe if they take heed of what Luka said he did last night in the Mavericks 104-92 upset of OKC.

Doncic didn't voice his displeasure with the officials nearly as much as usual, though he had words with fans a few times.

“I’m just trying to play basketball, just focus on basketball,” he said. “Sometimes I forget this is the thing I love, the thing I do. My mental focus was just go out there and play basketball with a smile on my face and just go.”

Oh and SG-A only shot 6 free throws.;)

The Timberwolves don't have the offensive ability to overwhelm Denver and win in a shooutout.

The key to tonight's game is holding Denver's field goal percentage to 47% or less. If they do that, and their offensive output is similar to the last 2 games, then they'll be in position to win.

I really want them to win, but it doesn't seem likely. For as long as I have watched Minnesota professional sports we just can't seem to get over that hump, the 2003 Wild, 2004 Wolves or the 2009 and 2017 Vikings.

I got this feeling the Wolves are gonna come out tonight and force a game 7 in Denver. here the thing. No Minnesota Sports team that i can remember has loss a game 7 in Colorado. Both Wild game 7 win were in Denver.

Top Bottom