All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Maybe he just wanted to rest as KAT picked up 5 off his 6 fouls in the 4th quarter.

Agreed, Finch wanted to rest him and once the game was in hand, think that Towns was trying to show Thibodeau that Tom was wrong about KAT being soft. Personally think KAT could have done that by still pouring on the points but Thibs was the one who made the attacks personal.

Will give Thibs some credit. Unlike Jimmy Butler, Thibs did show-up last night.

Wonder if Thibs is still Barreiro and KSTP's favorite coach?🤔

Agreed, Finch wanted to rest him and once the game was in hand, think that Towns was trying to show Thibodeau that Tom was wrong about KAT being soft. Personally think KAT could have done that by still pouring on the points but Thibs was the one who made the attacks personal.

Will give Thibs some credit. Unlike Jimmy Butler, Thibs did show-up last night.

Wonder if Thibs is still Barreiro and KSTP's favorite coach?🤔
Berraro doesn’t really know much about sports, which is nuts considering his profession. Thibs sucks as well

Berraro doesn’t really know much about sports, which is nuts considering his profession. Thibs sucks as well

Barreiro likes to remind people that he doesn't know much about sports. Sports is just a toy dept after all. Barreiro so much more sophisticated than just being a sports personality.
That said he would be my favorite listen on kfan if I listened to it anymore.

Think for Barreiro that's kind of a bit. He was a sportswriter going back to his College days at Indiana. Then he was a sportswriter at the Dallas Morning News then for 17 years at the Strib. Then he got the radio shows.

He's gone out of his way to stay away from sports and is adamant about telling people that the show is "almost exclusively non-sports." Probably because he just got tired of talking about them and he wanted to expand the audience for his show.

Think he still follows them but can't speak to how well versed he is. Quit listening quite awhile ago. Couldn't stand his constant trolling for callers.

Think for Barreiro that's kind of a bit. He was a sportswriter going back to his College days at Indiana. Then he was a sportswriter at the Dallas Morning News then for 17 years at the Strib. Then he got the radio shows.

He's gone out of his way to stay away from sports and is adamant about telling people that the show is "almost exclusively non-sports." Probably because he just got tired of talking about them and he wanted to expand the audience for his show.

Think he still follows them but can't speak to how well versed he is. Quit listening quite awhile ago. Couldn't stand his constant trolling for call

The whole, "he never talks sports" has never been remotely true. He talks Vikings about 50% of the time and the rest of the teams about 25% and "other" about 25%. Only Spaulding knows for sure though.

Dumb?

Use to listen to the show every afternoon. Haven't listened to a "whole show" for quite awhile. In the past couple of years have tried but haven't been listened to more than 15 minutes or so. Oddly because the guy "who doesn't follow" sports will invariably mention the Vikings while ripping everybody else in town particularly the Wolves and the Gophers.

Must be your favorite show.

Dumb?

Use to listen to the show every afternoon. Haven't listened to a "whole show" for quite awhile. In the past couple of years have tried but haven't been listened to more than 15 minutes or so. Oddly because the guy "who doesn't follow" sports will invariably mention the Vikings while ripping everybody else in town particularly the Wolves and the Gophers.

Must be your favorite show.
Not sure why you're attacking me. Just letting you know what I hear on my way home from work.

Not sure why you're attacking me. Just letting you know what I hear on my way home from work.

Not sure why you're saying that. "Dumb?" was asking if you thought the posts when compared to each other were dumb.

Though listening to Danny Boy every day may explain your "blind" spots and your love for Spaulding! No!

Not sure why you're saying that. "Dumb?" was asking if you thought the posts when compared to each other were dumb.

Though listening to Danny Boy every day may explain your "blind" spots and your love for Spaulding! No!
Thought you were leading with calling me or my post dumb.

I do love Spaulding, just not in love with Spaulding.

Thought you were leading with calling me or my post dumb.

I do love Spaulding, just not in love with Spaulding.

Okay, okay. While I was working out I turned on Barreiro's show on KFAN. Missed the first 5 minutes of the show. I think he was talking about the Suns game when I tuned in. Then Dan actually talked about the Wolves and their win last night against the Knicks! He praised Gobert, Towns and Conley. Even mentioned the balanced assist totals and how they had to wake-uo Edwards at Halftime to get him in the game. Meant he actually listened! Then he brought Seifert on a couple of minutes ago to talk about the Vikings for who knows how long.

Question is after Barreiro's praise of the Wolves are you gonna quit listening to him?;)

Okay, okay. While I was working out I turned on Barreiro's show on KFAN. Missed the first 5 minutes of the show. I think he was talking about the Suns game when I tuned in. Then Dan actually talked about the Wolves and their win last night against the Knicks! He praised Gobert, Towns and Conley. Even mentioned the balanced assist totals and how they had to wake-uo Edwards at Halftime to get him in the game. Meant he actually listened! Then he brought Seifert on a couple of minutes ago to talk about the Vikings for who knows how long.

Question is after Barreiro's praise of the Wolves are you gonna quit listening to him?;)
I like Dan's show. It's really the only one I catch most days. I like the mix of sports and nonsports. I always switch channels when Vikings talk comes on. I just don't care about the Vikings enough.

I will say that Dan and the rest of the hosts turned a corner when the Gophers joined the Fan. Before that, he couldn't name five players. Now at least he watches and his opinion has something behind it.

The only NFL talk I will stick around for is when Carl Gerbby is on. Genius bit.

Dan has ripped on the Wolves for years and years. All because they deserved it.

I have decided to look at the Rudy trade in a different light. Instead of just Rudy...I am going to add the Conley trade in there as well. No chance of it happening if Rudy didn't come here. We would have resigned D-Lo and I would have been beyond annoyed by that.

Mn receives:
Rudy Gobert
Mike Conley
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
3 2nd round picks

Leaving Mn:
D-Lo
Malik Beasley
Patrick Beverley
Leandro Bolmaro
Walker Kessler (No. 22 pick in 2022 Draft)
Jarred Vanderbilt
2023 first-round pick
2025 first-round pick
2026 pick swap
2027 first-round pick
2029 first-round pick

Losing Kessler hurt.
Losing Vanderbilt is a minor loss. I'd still love him on this team, but oh well.
Beasley, Beverly, Bolmaro are three yawns.
Thank God D-Lo is gone!!!

Whole different trade this way.

I like Dan's show. It's really the only one I catch most days. I like the mix of sports and nonsports. I always switch channels when Vikings talk comes on. I just don't care about the Vikings enough.

I will say that Dan and the rest of the hosts turned a corner when the Gophers joined the Fan. Before that, he couldn't name five players. Now at least he watches and his opinion has something behind it.

The only NFL talk I will stick around for is when Carl Gerbby is on. Genius bit.

Dan has ripped on the Wolves for years and years. All because they deserved it.

Ripping the Wolves from the time they lost Garnett is perfectly expectable IMO. Dan lost me when he doubled down on his praise of Thibs during his disastrous tenure here. When he was both Head Coach and de facto General Manager.

That stunk of "we don't make money on the Wolves".Coming from a guy who talks about himself as only pointing out the truth made things even worse. It's pandering. KTSP-AM fits right in there too

Anyone who claims that Thibs and Butler were blameless in that debacle are trolling or proving their ignorance of the situation.

Or both.

I have decided to look at the Rudy trade in a different light. Instead of just Rudy...I am going to add the Conley trade in there as well. No chance of it happening if Rudy didn't come here. We would have resigned D-Lo and I would have been beyond annoyed by that.

Mn receives:
Rudy Gobert
Mike Conley
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
3 2nd round picks

Leaving Mn:
D-Lo
Malik Beasley
Patrick Beverley
Leandro Bolmaro
Jarred Vanderbilt
2023 first-round pick
2025 first-round pick
2026 pick swap
2027 first-round pick
2029 first-round pick

Losing Kessler hurt.
Losing Vanderbilt is a minor loss. I'd still love him on this team, but oh well.

Agreed. Though not sure if we know what kind of NBA player Kessler will end up being. Though he does look great against the Wolves. Not so much against a lot of other teams.

Barreiro tells you nothing you don't already know about sports. For example, the Vikings have never won the super bowl

Also, the wolves have been bad.

I never had a clue about these things.

Ripping the Wolves from the time they lost Garnett is perfectly expectable IMO. Dan lost me when he doubled down on his praise of Thibs during his disastrous tenure here. When he was both Head Coach and de facto General Manager.

That stunk of "we don't make money on the Wolves".Coming from a guy who talks about himself as only pointing out the truth made things even worse. It's pandering. KTSP-AM fits right in there too

Anyone who claims that Thibs and Butler were blameless in that debacle are trolling or proving their ignorance of the situation.

Or both.
Well said

From today's ESPN

Tim Connelly's Gamble Paying off

As Tim Connelly was running the Nuggets and assembling the core of what later became a championship team, there was almost nothing more important to him than size.

He drafted centers Nikola Jokic and Jusuf Nurkic on the same night in 2014. He took a gamble on a 6-foot-10 small forward with an injury history, Michael Porter Jr., because the combination of size and shooting was so appealing. Connelly's most important trade was acquiring Aaron Gordon, whose height and wingspan make him a difference-maker.

Connelly's pairing of Rudy Gobert and Karl-Anthony Towns when he got to Minnesota seemed like a gamble from another era. In the trade that brought Gobert to the Wolves, Connelly protected 6-foot-10 forward Jaden McDaniels because of his defensive prowess and size. Connelly then signed the long, defensive-minded Kyle Anderson as his first significant free agent deal.

Connelly was following the script of what got him a $40 million contract to do the job in the first place, and doing so with a coach, Chris Finch, who was a true believer in playing this way.

Then the roster fell on its face in Year 1. Gobert and Towns were clunky together. They had a series of injury issues. Their point guard situation was shaky. And Gobert punched Anderson and was suspended for a play-in tournament game that was also missed by McDaniels, who broke his hand throwing a different punch the same night.

A season later, it's a different story.

The long and rangy Wolves have been one of the NBA's best defenses throughout the early season, and it's driving success -- they are second in the league with a rating of 106.9. It has been a major help that Connelly's second-biggest trade was getting veteran point guard Mike Conley, who has a sparkling 5-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio, as he has smoothed the offense.

Anthony Edwards, who plays taller than his height because of a massive wingspan that helps make him a tremendous defender, is ascending to superstardom.

But the big reason the Wolves are surging in the West is because their size and length overwhelms opponents at the defensive end. And it isn't surprising they've given the supersized Nuggets a few headaches, going down competitively in the playoffs last season and winning the first meeting this season.

Size. Size. Size. It's the Connelly way, and it has become the Wolves' way -- and it's starting to pay off. -- Brian Windhorst

Mn receives:
Rudy Gobert
Mike Conley
Nickeil Alexander-Walker
3 2nd round picks

Leaving Mn:
D-Lo
Malik Beasley
Patrick Beverley
Leandro Bolmaro
Jarred Vanderbilt
2023 first-round pick
2025 first-round pick
2026 pick swap
2027 first-round pick
2029 first-round pick

Losing Kessler hurt.

I don't think you even have to do this to justify the Gobert trade. The people who have been mad about it is because they gave up too many 1st round draft picks. Ok. So they traded up to the top of the 2nd round and got a 1st round talent in the last draft anyway, yet when everyone is healthy he's in the G league because there's no room for him to play. Plus they'll have their 1st rounder again next year.

Their window is wide open now. I'll take proven players over picks any day, especially when 1st round picks are such a crapshoot in the NBA. The DLo trade was a heist by Connelly though.

The Athletic Power Rankings has the Wolves ranked 3rd in the NBA

Minnesota Timberwolves​

This Week's rank - 3
team-logo-78-300x300.png

Last Rank - 4
Good News: This is the best team the Wolves have had since 2003-04. They’re tied for the top defense in the league, and their offense is getting good. They might actually be dangerous.
Bad News: Turnovers. This is still a team that is far too sloppy with the ball, and that has to get cleaned up if they want to entertain a deep playoff run. It’s part of the growing pains, but it needs to go.
Good News: This team is perfect at home and 7-1 in the Western Conference. The Wolves are positioning themselves to sustain success and give themselves a high seed. This team is legitimately good.

Or both.
Probably had a lot to do with Thibs being a weekly guest.

76ers lose a tough one in OT last night. Wolves better put the boots on their throats early so 76ers give up due to tired legs
Maybe it's Embiid or something, but I despise the Sixers.

I'd love to see us crush them. tough overtime game for them last night, and they had to fly all the way from Philly to get here tonight.

Jaden McDaniels to miss 2-3 weeks.

The Timberwolves likely will be without Jaden McDaniels for two to three weeks after the 23-year-old forward sprained his right ankle early in Monday's win over the Knicks.

The Wolves said in a release that McDaniels has a Grade 1 right lateral ankle sprain with a return to play timeline of two to three weeks. McDaniels will be re-evaluated after one week.

McDaniels is the Wolves' best perimeter defender and usually guards the opponent's top scorer. His contributions are a major reason the Wolves had the league's No. 1 defense entering Tuesday.

However, the team has shown it can continue high-caliber defense without him thanks in part to Nickeil Alexander-Walker and Kyle Anderson, who will both likely see an uptick in minutes with McDaniels out. Coach Chris Finch said after Monday's game either could start in McDaniels' place.

Alexander-Walker started the first two games of the season which McDaniels missed because of a calf injury..

Last edited:

At this point, appears that Wolves will be favored through the next 6 games. Among those 6 games are Philly, OKC, Sacramento. But also those three games are all at home.
I am definitely here for a 16-3 start to the regular season.
(And yes I get that we are without JM and there are no gimmes in the NBA. I'm just saying.)

Wolves have been dodging some bullets with guys being out...Butler, Steph, Zion x2...hopefully they take advantage even with Jaden out.

Top Bottom