All Things 2023-2024 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Can't see them winning tonight in Phoenix, not with the Big 3 all back, but they've been surprising people all season. That said here is The Athletics Power Rankings from yesterday.

Tier 2 - Brink of Contention 4th

Minnesota Timberwolves​

team-logo-78-300x300.png

Last weeks Rank 6th

Last edited:

No Beal tonight.

Green suspended 5 games!

Anybody who constantly complains about football injury reports has never followed the NBA. Though as you said about the Warriors, playing 3 games in 4 days is a tough thing to do and for the Wolves they're road games.

Last edited:

I haven't posted slow feet in a while.

Holy shit!

Wolves 115 Suns 113.

Good gosh that was awful. kg21 predicted that the Warriors would be easy pickings Tuesday after playing 3 games in 4 nights. That applied to the Wolves last night. Coming right after they played in of the most physical games of the year. They were outshot 60 to 46%. From three they were 5/27 while the Suns were 17/31. The Wolves constantly had shots that were short. Tired legs will do that.

Wolves had more offensive and total rebounds than the Suns. They also had about the same number of blocks and turnovers. They had far more free throws and less fouls.

Because like the Warriors and many other teams before them this year, the book on the Wolves is still play them physical and chippy and you'll win.

It worked last night. First time in the last 8 games.

Next game will be Saturday down in New Orleans.

Last edited:

Wolves end their road trip with a 121-120 win over the Pelicans in New Orleans.

Brandon Ingram lead all scorers with 30. Towns had 29 for the Wolves.

NEW ORLEANS -- — Karl-Anthony Towns capped a 29-point performance with a running floater off the glass with 5 seconds left, and the Minnesota Timberwolvesovercame a 14-point deficit in the final 7:32 to beat the New Orleans Pelicans 121-120 on Saturday night.

Anthony Edwards scored 23 points before fouling out with 10 seconds left while guarding Brandon Ingram along the perimeter. But Ingram missed one of his two free throws, allowing Towns to put Minnesota in front from close range.

The Pelicans still had a shot to win it as time ran out, but Ingram, who had a game-high-30 points, missed a mid-range jumper. That capped a difficult closing stretch for the New Orleans star, who made just one shot and turned the ball over twice in the fourth quarter.

New Orleans led 108-94 with 8:04 left after Matt Ryan's third 3 of the game, but momentum turned quickly when Towns drew Herb Jones' fifth foul. That started a 7-0 Minnesota run that included a breakaway layup and transition 3 by Pelican Nickeil Alexander-Walker.

Towns scored 12 in the fourth quarter, including a 3 that gave Minnesota its first lead of the second half at 119-117.

Rudy Gobert had 17 points and 11 rebounds for the T-Wolves. Jaden McDaniels added 12 points.

Take the win. a come-from-behind on the road is nice. But Zion did not play for New Orleans.

the Wolves have been catching some teams that are not at full strength, while the Wolves have been mostly healthy through the early part of the season.

even with the NBA trying to crack down on load management, that is still one of the big questions before every game - who is playing and who is sitting out due to injuries, rest or whatever?

Indeed it is. Makes you wonder what would have been last year if Towns and Gobert had played together more than 23 times.
They had a lot of injuries last year and DLo was really awful to start the year.

I do not like where the defense is trending.

They had a lot of injuries last year and DLo was really awful to start the year.

Yep, Conley has played much better for them than D-Lo did. He got his wish to be traded too and has played much better for the Lakers than he did here.

Though it was mainly injuries that kept Towns and Gobert from playing together maybe 50 of those games they missed playing together. Just don't remember much focus on it.

Point is NBA teams do play other teams who are not at full strength. The win or loss doesn't come with an asterisk.

Tonight the 9-3 Wolves host the 8-5 Knicks at 7:00

Anyone hearing anything about the Terry Rozier rumors?

You mean the Conley and two 2nd rounders for Rozier trade? Not gonna happen imo.
Yep essentially that although I didn't see what exactly the outgoing was going to be (assuming it would have to be Conley for money to work out).

Yeah I don't know how i feel about it either...Conley has been fine and I don't know what bringing in another scorer does to the dynamic.

Yep essentially that although I didn't see what exactly the outgoing was going to be (assuming it would have to be Conley for money to work out).

Yeah I don't know how i feel about it either...Conley has been fine and I don't know what bringing in another scorer does to the dynamic.
Part of the reason I hated the Rudy trade was that it is going to cause a huge salary issue next season.

Conley's contract absolutely is needed to come off the books (and more). They can't take on Rozier unless Kat is traded. I don't see that happening.

Wolves ahead 93-71 with a quarter to go, 99.5% chance of winning....no way they can lose that one right? Asking for friends in Missouri.

KAT just can’t help himself. Everything is going so well tonight and he just can’t wait to pick up stupid fouls to foul out of the game.

10-3 Wolves beat the 8-5 Knicks 117- 100. Anthony Edwards, who only had four 1st Half Points(?) led them with 23. Wolves were up by 18 after 3 and ended up winning by 17 over the Tom Thibodeau lead Knicks. Wolves host the 76ers on Wednesday.

Jaden McDaniel left after playing 5 minutes in the 1st Quarter with a sprained ankle.

"On Monday, bigger Rudy Gobert provided the pulse with a dunking demonstration on a night he went 7-for-7 from the field but 2-for-7 from the free-throw line.

Gobert played 26 minutes, scored 16 points and had seven rebounds and two blocked shots before he was removed with three minutes left and the game assured.

The Wolves at 6-0 remained unbeaten at home on Monday after a five-game road trip in which they went 4-1 out west and down south.

The Wolves' expensive July 2022 blockbuster trade paired Gobert with Towns, an experiment that floundered last season partly because of injury and unfamiliarity.

Now nearly a month into the season, the Wolves' size and skill has helped push them to that 10-3, first-place season start. Towns was one of four other Wolves who scored in double figures Monday on a night when the team outscored the Knicks 35-19 in a decisive third quarter.

They led by as many as 22 points after they held a 58-56 halftime lead.

Towns finished with 20 points while Anthony Edwards led all Wolves with 23 while Mike Conley and reserve Nickell-Alexander Walker each had 11.."

Minnesota (10-3) is 6-0 at home — tying a franchise record to start a season — and has won nine of its past 10 games. That stretch included seven straight wins, the franchise's longest streak since 2004 — which was the last year the Wolves made it past the first round of the playoffs.

Jalen Brunson scored 25 points and Julius Randle had 21 for New York, which shot 34.8% (32 of 92) to Minnesota's 51.3%.

The Knicks (8-6) came in allowing a league-low 104.9 points per game.

After a quiet first half, Edwards scored nine points during a 16-5 Wolves run to open the third quarter. Mike Conley's third 3-pointer of the night gave them a 76-61 lead with 7:53 remaining in the period.

They never trailed by less than 11 the rest of the way.

Rudy Gobert scored 16 points for the Wolves. Minnesota forward Jaden McDaniels left with a sprained right ankle in the first quarter and didn't return. That opened up extended minutes for Nickeil Alexander-Walker, who finished with 11 points, three rebounds and three assists.

Naz Reid added 10 points as the Wolves' bench outscored New York's reserves 43-30.

Quentin Grimes started for the Knicks after missing their previous two games with a sprained left wrist.

The skeptics have gone from "they'll barely get above .500", "Twin Towers will NEVER work again in the NBA" to "let's see how they'll do in the playoffs!"

Okay then.;)
I'm still a skeptic, but also, encouraged. Does that make sense? When the playoffs come and defense locks in, I think we need another scorer. would be nice to finish top 4 and have a home playoff series.

Top Bottom