All Things 2022 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

I made the brilliant decision to trade away Jalen Hurts before the season in one of my fantasy leagues because I also had Murray. I did not expect Hurts to be this good and Murray to be this bad, even without Hopkins.

Apparently bad luck isn’t why I suck at fantasy football so much.

This team is very flawed, but might still be the 2nd best team in the NFC.

This team is very flawed, but might still be the 2nd best team in the NFC.
NFC is trash. Vikings better keep winning because only shot they have in the playoffs is if they are playing at home.

NFC is trash. Vikings better keep winning because only shot they have in the playoffs is if they are playing at home.
There's no excuse for them not to win the division at the very least. The Packers have issues and an old semi-checked out QB.

Keep saying that all the way to the playoffs, I guess?

You'd probably say that if we got an ugly win in the Super Bowl?
If they win the Super Bowl, there will be no qualifications.

But there will be an expensive bottle of booze that my wife and I will pop open.

If you look at the schedule, IF the Vikes stay healthy, they have a real shot at winning 11 or 12 games.

of the remaining games, 5 vs teams that currently have winning records; 2 vs teams with .500 records, and 4 vs teams with losing records to date.
  • WEEK 8 · Sunday, Oct 30th · 12:00 p.m. CST: Arizona Cardinals (2-4)
  • WEEK 9 · Sunday, Nov 6th · 12:00 p.m. CST: at Washington Commanders (2-4)
  • WEEK 10 · Sunday, Nov 13th · 12:00 p.m. CST: at Buffalo Bills (5-1)
  • WEEK 11 · Sunday, Nov 20th · 3:25 p.m. CST: Dallas Cowboys (4-2)
  • WEEK 12 · Thursday, Nov 24th · 7:20 p.m. CST: New England Patriots (3-3)
  • WEEK 13 · Sunday, December 4th · 12:00 p.m. CST: New York Jets (4-2)
  • WEEK 14 · Sunday, Dec 11th · 12:00 p.m. CST: at Detroit Lions (1-4)
  • WEEK 15 · Sunday, Dec 18th · 12:00 p.m. CST: Indianapolis Colts (3-2-1)
  • WEEK 16 · Saturday, Dec 24th · 12:00 p.m. CST: New York Giants (5-1)
  • WEEK 17 · Sunday, January 1st · 3:25 p.m. CST: at Green Bay Packers (3-3)
  • WEEK 18 · Sunday, January 8th · 12:00 p.m. CST: at Chicago Bears (2-4)

If Josh Allen gets hurt the Vikings would be facing Case Keenum.

The next coach to be fired is a dead heat between Kinsbury and Hackett. My $ is on Hackett.

The play of the Chargers/Broncos game was shoving the blocker into the punt returner causing the muffed punt. Very smart play which seemed to basically go unnoticed unless I’m mistaken.

If you look at the schedule, IF the Vikes stay healthy, they have a real shot at winning 11 or 12 games.

of the remaining games, 5 vs teams that currently have winning records; 2 vs teams with .500 records, and 4 vs teams with losing records to date.

That's not an easy schedule

I like the Vikings remaining schedule better than the Packers...also all of the teams in the NFC East and NFC west have to play each other and will beat up on each other some. The road to the #2 seed is wide open.

I like the Vikings remaining schedule better than the Packers...also all of the teams in the NFC East and NFC west have to play each other and will beat up on each other some. The road to the #2 seed is wide open.
Hopefully they get the #1 seed. #2 gets you two home games, but no bye

Overall Vikings caught a break this year from the NFL schedule makers, as their London game against the Saints would have been a road game.

The Vikes get 1 more home game, and have 1 fewer road game than the Cheesers:

Minnesota / 9 Home - 7 Road - 1 Neutral
Green Bay / 8 Home - 8 Road - 1 Neutral

The Packers loss against the Giants in London would have been at Home. They followed it up after the travel by getting upended by the Jets, snapping a 15 game winning streak at Lambeau. If both would have been in Green Bay, perhaps they would also be 5-1 currently.

Evens out though, the Vikes game up a home game back in 2013.

It's not daunting either. Would trend more towards easy depending on how the Jets & Giants hold up, plus both are at the Zygi Dome.

The Jets have a lot of talent, the Giants a little less, but both have competent head coaches. I also think people are sleeping on the remaining division games, which are all on the road. Detroit's offense is very scary when healthy, and they may add Jameson Williams by the time we play them again. We were extremely lucky to beat them at home.

At Green Bay and at Chicago is never easy, especially in January. I think they only gimme on the schedule is Washington, but it's still on the road. The rest are very loseable games.

The Jets have a lot of talent, the Giants a little less, but both have competent head coaches. I also think people are sleeping on the remaining division games, which are all on the road. Detroit's offense is very scary when healthy, and they may add Jameson Williams by the time we play them again. We were extremely lucky to beat them at home.

At Green Bay and at Chicago is never easy, especially in January. I think they only gimme on the schedule is Washington, but it's still on the road. The rest are very loseable games.
It can also be flipped around, only the game at Buffalo is not winnable (or at the very least heavy underdogs), in my opinion.

Your statement that the rest of the schedule "is not easy", I do not disagree with. But it's not a gauntlet either. Both can be true.

It can also be flipped around, only the game at Buffalo is not winnable (or at the very least heavy underdogs), in my opinion.

Your statement that the rest of the schedule "is not easy", I do not disagree with. But it's not a gauntlet either. Both can be true.

Sort of, but with so much parity in the NFL, what would really be considered a gauntlet? Buffalo, KC, and Philadelphia? We already got destroyed by the Eagles, and still have to play the Bills.

Currently the next tier of teams is Dallas and both NY teams and we play all 3. The rest of the league is ~.500 or worse.

That's not an easy schedule
Easy? No. But they'd be favored in all but 2 or 3 right now and the only game I'd give them less than a 40% chance to win is Buffalo. If you're favored in 9 of 11 remaining games and you only really need to win 6, you're in pretty good shape.

Sort of, but with so much parity in the NFL, what would really be considered a gauntlet? Buffalo, KC, and Philadelphia? We already got destroyed by the Eagles, and still have to play the Bills.

Currently the next tier of teams is Dallas and both NY teams and we play all 3. The rest of the league is ~.500 or worse.
Cowboys, Jets & Giants all are coming to the Zygi Dome though. Not ready to crown any of them (nor the Vikings for that matter).

Vikes are 5-1. 11 games left.

so if they go 6-5 the rest of the way, that's an 11-6 record. that should be good enough to win the division.

that was my point, they don't have to be great to make the playoffs - just a little better than .500.

Cowboys, Jets & Giants all are coming to the Zygi Dome though. Not ready to crown any of them (nor the Vikings for that matter).

I get it. I'm just saying there is a very fine line in the NFL with very few dominant teams but also very few really bad teams. Anyone can beat anyone any week.

While 6-5 doesn't seem daunting down the stretch, the majority of the league could say that. The Vikings are very close to being 2-4 right now. And you could also say that about a lot of other teams going both ways.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikings won 6-7 games the rest of the way. I also wouldn't be surprised if they only won 2-3.

I get it. I'm just saying there is a very fine line in the NFL with very few dominant teams but also very few really bad teams. Anyone can beat anyone any week.
That's exactly why saying the schedule is neither easy nor daunting is the correct opinion. All subject to change, based on bigger sample size and/or injuries.

Also, the preseason is truncated and starters get so few reps in the game(s) they play, proclaiming anything declarative before Halloween is a fool's errand.

Hers will be .500 or lower by that matchup, methinks.

I don't rightly know how they're winning some of these games, so I fear that this could end up being short-lived or unsustainable success, but you have to be able to say, so far so good, at least record-wise. I trust Jeff Sagarin's ratings, and I don't know if I've ever seen such weirdness six games into a season. Both the 5-1 Vikings and Giants are rated in the bottom half of the league, below teams such as the Packers (3-3) and, surprisingly, the Broncos (2-4). The Vikes' strength of schedule, margins of victory, and margin of their one defeat are not helping them statistically, regardless of the particular model.

Avoiding penalties and getting good special-teams play has helped this team immensely. Also...who remembers Pat Reusse's nickname for Bud Grant being Horseshoe Harry? Grant's Vikings did seem to get the bounces, and this year's team has gotten more than their share--including the late fumble that bounced neatly into the arms of Cam Bynum. On the other hand, you do make your own luck, in that case by Bynum having his eyes open and not choking and dropping the gift.

Also a gift that will produce rapid results in the bedroom. You’re going to love that. Call Valley Park medical clinic.

I don't rightly know how they're winning some of these games, so I fear that this could end up being short-lived or unsustainable success, but you have to be able to say, so far so good, at least record-wise. I trust Jeff Sagarin's ratings, and I don't know if I've ever seen such weirdness six games into a season. Both the 5-1 Vikings and Giants are rated in the bottom half of the league, below teams such as the Packers (3-3) and, surprisingly, the Broncos (2-4). The Vikes' strength of schedule, margins of victory, and margin of their one defeat are not helping them statistically, regardless of the particular model.

Avoiding penalties and getting good special-teams play has helped this team immensely. Also...who remembers Pat Reusse's nickname for Bud Grant being Horseshoe Harry? Grant's Vikings did seem to get the bounces, and this year's team has gotten more than their share--including the late fumble that bounced neatly into the arms of Cam Bynum. On the other hand, you do make your own luck, in that case by Bynum having his eyes open and not choking and dropping the gift.
Good timing for the bye week to address so many weaknesses. Until something changes with the defense, this team doesnt have a shot.

Penalties is discipline and discipline is coaching. So far, the Vikings are killing it.

Only one team (Denver) has had their opponent rack up more penalty yards than the Vikings and only one team averages fewer penalties per game than the Vikings (the LA Rams), at just 4.2 penalties per game.

Rack up some wins while the Defense (hopefully) gets their shit figured out. I don't think it's solely a lack of talent by any stretch. With any luck, it's just a learning curve for Big Ed's new schemes.

All things considered, pretty hard to bitch about being 5-1 after 6 games. KOC looking like a genius so far.

Top Bottom