All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Not even top 5. They wasted nearly that entire amount on one season of JA Happ. I'm no fan of Falvey but the amount people bring up the Dobnak contact is ridiculous. It's less than $2 million / year. Who cares?

The person paying it likely cares.
JA was no slouch the seasons prior 14-10 with ~4 ERA in 2019 $ 2020.

I’m far less upset with hurlers RANDY that have recent success and competence vs. giving YOU a contract based on a few good starts and a good spring -
Facts -

Random thought of the day...they beat this drum all the time on the radio broadcast when there is a bunting situation - "how can you expect player xyz to bunt here when they don't have any experience bunting". These are highly compensated professionals (well, some anyway) - why isn't bunting for 5-10 minutes a daily practice routine? With a gift runner on 2nd base in extra innings, unless you have Aaron Judge up to bat, almost every first at bat should be a sac bunt. But nope...nobody in the majors apparently knows how to bunt anymore.
I don't think bunting in the top half of an extra inning is a good strategy, unless the scheduled hitter really stinks. SAC bunting (if fielded successfully) really limits the chance to score more than a run, which would be necessary with the Home team getting to start in the same fashion.

If the Visitor fails to score, then the Home team by all means should often bunt in the bottom half. However, with high strike out rates even getting a Sac Fly can be difficult.

Just the way it is in today's game.

The person paying it likely cares.
JA was no slouch the seasons prior 14-10 with ~4 ERA in 2019 $ 2020.

I’m far less upset with hurlers RANDY that have recent success and competence vs. giving YOU a contract based on a few good starts and a good spring -
Facts -
It wasn't based only on that. He had been decent in 2019 and 2020. It was a marginal gamble on signing him for less than he'd have gotten in arbitration if he'd stayed on that track. Obviously they lost the gable. But the amount of the contract is so tiny it can't possibly be one of their worst.

Signing Happ. Signing Shoemaker. They paid Homer Baily $3 million to make like 2 starts. Sano's extension bit them and they're paying him a total of $12 million for 2022 to not play/go away. Kepler's extension looks awful, though I liked it at the time. Lance Lynn. Logan Morrison. All worse. Not to mention all the trades for injured pitchers. Trading LaMont Wade for nothing. #FireFalvey.

It wasn't based only on that. He had been decent in 2019 and 2020. It was a marginal gamble on signing him for less than he'd have gotten in arbitration if he'd stayed on that track. Obviously they lost the gable. But the amount of the contract is so tiny it can't possibly be one of their worst.

Signing Happ. Signing Shoemaker. They paid Homer Baily $3 million to make like 2 starts. Sano's extension bit them and they're paying him a total of $12 million for 2022 to not play/go away. Kepler's extension looks awful, though I liked it at the time. Lance Lynn. Logan Morrison. All worse. Not to mention all the trades for injured pitchers. Trading LaMont Wade for nothing. #FireFalvey.

It wasn’t the amount it’s that they offed it to someone with minimal MLB production - that’s what I’m trying to articulate.
Uber bad thinking 😃

well, we will see if this year's finish causes the ownership to become more involved, or causes the front office to rethink any of its recent decisions and policies.

if the front office comes back next year with "everything is fine," then they have to be prepared for the fallout. If they thought attendance was down this year, wait and see what happens next year if the front office does not do something to address the current situation.

if this was a football team, they would at least fire a coordinator.

at the very least, I'd like to see some changes on the coaching staff, AND the training staff.

well, we will see if this year's finish causes the ownership to become more involved, or causes the front office to rethink any of its recent decisions and policies.

if the front office comes back next year with "everything is fine," then they have to be prepared for the fallout. If they thought attendance was down this year, wait and see what happens next year if the front office does not do something to address the current situation.

at the very least, I'd like to see some changes on the coaching staff, AND the training staff.
Whomever evaluates the medical records for prospective pitchers being obtained via trade should be canned.

The entire training/medical staff should be fired. Where is Ober? Where is Jeffers? Both were supposed to be back by now. What is up with Polanco? And on and on. Almost every injury this year has taken far longer to return from than seems reasonable or was estimated initially. It's absurd.

Dump Rocco. I didn't watch any of the games this weekend because football is more important.....but earlier in the summer when we had two series against Cleveland in the span of about a week and a half.....he proceeded to toss Pagan out in games that were either tight or that we were winning to get rocked. Believe Pagan blew two in a row and then Rocco still decided to use him a couple games later.

Bad manager.

Dump Rocco. I didn't watch any of the games this weekend because football is more important.....but earlier in the summer when we had two series against Cleveland in the span of about a week and a half.....he proceeded to toss Pagan out in games that were either tight or that we were winning to get rocked. Believe Pagan blew two in a row and then Rocco still decided to use him a couple games later.

Bad manager.
I agree, except that alone won't do any good. Falvey wants an obedient manager who will follow the analytics and do exactly what they agreed on at 2:00 PM in the pre-game meeting.

Those analytics say pull the starter after two times through the order in almost every case. And they say Pagan is good because look how many swing and misses he gets and golly gee he's just having bad luck when they hit it 500 feet. And stealing bases and sacrifice bunting are bad, even if your next 3 hitters up all hit .200 with no power.

Correra thrown out by infinity and didn’t even try to get to plate snd just ran off the field and into the dugout - another first for me in watching MLB games.

Tommy Watkins is easily the worst third base coach in the history of organized baseball - nudging out Bart Anderson who just used to pick and eat during Little League

I know they’ve been tough to watch lately but I would recommend tuning in if you can just in case. That’s all I’m going to say.

I’m sure after a couple of days Joe Ryan will be so happy that Rocco pulled him in a meaningless game in September in order to protect him. I’m mean no hitter through 7 are a dime a dozen now-a-days.

I mean there’s no chance Ryan gets through all 9 but treating this like a normal 6-0 game has to be a let down. The team needed a boost but instead this will almost feel like a loss because of how it was handled.

Glad to see Correa getting warm just in time to opt out of his contract.
Great, let him walk. For what he has produced this year, he has been overpaid by about 2-3 times. His D is great, but his offense and clutch hitting have been bad. Spend the money on pitching.

Top Bottom