All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Cleveland seriously want to put the end to any of the Twins playoffs hopes. the Twins are lifeless right now. down 5-0.
The twins have team leader in Jose Miranda with 61 RBI. Cleveland has Jose Rameriz with 109. They also someone with 64 and 61 RBI. Cleveland has one guy who will get MVP votes and the twins are paying a $34million shortstop who was 54 RBI and was not even an all star.

The Saints don't let any pitchers go for more than 5 innings. It's like the entire minor league system is designed to fail pitchers.

I think a lot of this has to do with what happened in the minors the last two seasons. 2020 there was no minor league baseball, so most players lost a year of development. as a result in 2021, teams were very careful about keeping pitchers' workloads down. then, the Twins had a number of minor league pitchers miss time with injuries, so that really reduced their workloads.

so this year, they've been very cautious about keeping pitchers from a big jump in the number of innings pitched - especially for guys who have had injury issues.

ironically, that's one reason why Duran became a reliever - so they could limit the # of innings he pitches. he had been a starter in the minors until he began having arm problems.

I'm not saying I like it or believe in it, but that's their approach.

Hopefully they can hold off the hard charging Royals for 3rd place in the central...........

This has been such a frustrating season. Even when this team was in first place it wasn’t an enjoyable group to cheer on, and it always felt like being in first place was temporary. There’s just an unhealthy vibe this season.

Cotton and his horrible 2.83 ERA are back.

Man I am glad Austin Davis was here for a bit instead of a guy who competes and performed well.

More Wild-like furious rallies for the twins. Moral victories for a team with so many injuries.

From the half full guy - at least they haven’t quit and Rocco hasn’t lost the club.

He’ll be the manager next year, he’s won 2 central 👑, so he deserves that much.

Whoever writes the checks needs to grab him and tell them that next test if they want to stay employed it’s the second round ir else period

From the half full guy - at least they haven’t quit and Rocco hasn’t lost the club.

He’ll be the manager next year, he’s won 2 central 👑, so he deserves that much.

Whoever writes the checks needs to grab him and tell them that next test if they want to stay employed it’s the second round ir else period
I have no problem with Rocco. Do I think everything he does is perfect, no. He has also been saddled with players that don’t do their jobs all the time and that’s beyond his control.

Let’s just win a playoff game before we worry about the second round.

So Jorge Lopez might now be a bullpen answer either. At least he’s under team control for next year.

I have no problem with Rocco. Do I think everything he does is perfect, no. He has also been saddled with players that don’t do their jobs all the time and that’s beyond his control.

Let’s just win a playoff game before we worry about the second round.

I think the expectations need to be raised for success to be actualized - Peter John Fleck is a master at this concept, as are all truly good/great coaches IMO.

To wit -

The Pygmalion Effect-

The Pygmalion effect, or Rosenthal effect, is a psychological phenomenon in which high expectations lead to improved performance in a given area.[1] The effect is named for the Greek myth of Pygmalion, the sculptor who fell so much in love with the perfectly beautiful statue he created that the statue came to life. The psychologists Robert Rosenthal and Lenore Jacobson, in their book Pygmalion in the Classroom, borrowed something of the myth by advancing the idea that teachers' expectations of their students affect the students' performance, a view that has been called into question as a result of later research findings.[2]

Yeah, I think it's "see you in Fort Meyers" time.

even if they got all of the injured players back, I don't think there's enough time left in the season - especially with the pitching problems.

speaking of pitching:
in the Saints' game at AAA - rehab stints for Ober and Dobnak:

Ober retired 11 in a row at one point but gave up a tying home run to Brendon Davis in the fifth inning. In 4⅔ innings, Ober gave up only the one run and one hit while walking two and striking out six.

Fellow injured Twins righthander Randy Dobnak did not fare as well, giving up another homer to Davis in the seventh before departing after a walk. That runner eventually came around to score, as Dobnak gave up two runs on two hits in 1⅓ innings with one walk and two strikeouts.

even if they got all of the injured players back, I don't think there's enough time left in the season - especially with the pitching problems.

speaking of pitching:

Ober retired 11 in a row at one point but gave up a tying home run to Brendon Davis in the fifth inning. In 4⅔ innings, Ober gave up only the one run and one hit while walking two and striking out six.

Fellow injured Twins righthander Randy Dobnak did not fare as well, giving up another homer to Davis in the seventh before departing after a walk. That runner eventually came around to score, as Dobnak gave up two runs on two hits in 1⅓ innings with one walk and two strikeouts.
The problem comes with Cleveland having 6 straight games at home against Kansas City to end the year. The wild card is gone so you have to be in first place going into the last 6 to have any chance of making the playoffs.

speaking of pitching:

Was Ranhdys five year guaranteed contact for 9 or 19 mil?

Never has a spring a new training slider done more for one pitcher in the history of professional baseball.

Biggest blunder #1 for the brain trust?

The problem comes with Cleveland having 6 straight games at home against Kansas City to end the year. The wild card is gone so you have to be in first place going into the last 6 to have any chance of making the playoffs.
There's also no game 163, so if we end in a tie, Cleveland wins the division. So 4.5 back is really 5.5. It's over.

Was Ranhdys five year guaranteed contact for 9 or 19 mil?

Never has a spring a new training slider done more for one pitcher in the history of professional baseball.

Biggest blunder #1 for the brain trust?
Not even top 5. They wasted nearly that entire amount on one season of JA Happ. I'm no fan of Falvey but the amount people bring up the Dobnak contact is ridiculous. It's less than $2 million / year. Who cares?

Top Bottom