All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I agree the twins set themselves up well for 2023, which was not the case before the trading deadline. It will be interesting to see what value Arreaz gets next year in arbitration or if they sign him to a long term deal. He’s not a great defender, but may win a batting title. Does that mean he’l gets $120million over 7 years or is it more? That could be the difference between having money for Correa or not.
He's earning $2.1mil this year. Even if he wins a batting title, he is largely a singles hitter that has one of the lowest "hard hit ball rates" in the MLB. He is valuable to the team, and I like him as a player, but he doesn't have a defined position and isn't overly fast for being a singles hitter. He still has three more years of arbitration eligibility, so if they were to sign him to a long term deal, they would get good value by doing it this early in the process. They bought Polanco out of some of his arbitration and got him for 5/$25. Granted, the team got a really good deal on him. If they wanted to lock up Arraez, my guess is 6/$48. My guess at arbitration for next year is $5-6mil. Aaron Judge is going to win the MVP, and his arbitration salary for this year is $19mil. There's no way buying out Arraez's arbitration is going to get him anywhere near the $17/year as you guessed.

He's earning $2.1mil this year. Even if he wins a batting title, he is largely a singles hitter that has one of the lowest "hard hit ball rates" in the MLB. He is valuable to the team, and I like him as a player, but he doesn't have a defined position and isn't overly fast for being a singles hitter. He still has three more years of arbitration eligibility, so if they were to sign him to a long term deal, they would get good value by doing it this early in the process. They bought Polanco out of some of his arbitration and got him for 5/$25. Granted, the team got a really good deal on him. If they wanted to lock up Arraez, my guess is 6/$48. My guess at arbitration for next year is $5-6mil. Aaron Judge is going to win the MVP, and his arbitration salary for this year is $19mil. There's no way buying out Arraez's arbitration is going to get him anywhere near the $17/year as you guessed.
His best position is 2B, but we have Polanco there. Still you have to keep him and find a way to get him in the line-up.

Good stick, bad glove.

If he had power or defense, he'd have HOF potential.

The best you'll get is low-end all-star numbers in any given season, which is perfectly fine. He's a great leadoff hitter.

Sign him long term.

Outside of BA Arraez just has good at bats. Good at bats are underrated.
I was curious about his average pitches per plate appearance and found that the Twins have 4 of the top 15 in the AL.

I was curious about his average pitches per plate appearance and found that the Twins have 4 of the top 15 in the AL.

I would not have guessed that Aaron Hicks was #1

This is just the writer stating his opinion. Correa has not officially said anything.
Dougie really thinks Correa likes it in Minnesota. He probably does and I want nothing more for him to come back next year. As many have pointed out the SS is strong this off season so maybe he does come back. It would be amazing if he does.

6th inning Pagan is no better than 8th inning Pagan. The guys gets ahead 0-2 on everyone and can’t put them away. He’s basically unusable.

At least now the twins have 4 innings to clean up Pagan’s mess.

6th inning Pagan is no better than 8th inning Pagan. The guys gets ahead 0-2 on everyone and can’t put them away. He’s basically unusable.

Seriously....guy is worthless. He's lost us numerous games this year.

Teacher's Pet blows another one. Maybe if they let Ryan go another inning yesterday instead of pulling him at 78 pitches, they wouldn't have to keep throwing that turd out there

6th inning Pagan is no better than 8th inning Pagan. The guys gets ahead 0-2 on everyone and can’t put them away. He’s basically jags unusable.

Comeback to the 5 & dime Jharell Coltton, Jharell Cotton

Another possibility is that Kepler could get traded for some pitching, freeing some OF time for Kirilloff et al. That would allow some ABs for Sano if he's competent.

They did right by Miggy, gave him a legit shot and that’s important to his teammates and the clubhouse. They all know Miggy shou have lost weight and worked harder, but that doesn’t mean they don’t ❤️ Him, want to succeed.

Rocco does many things wrong, but he handles the clubhouse environment extremely well. Those guys live together for six months - insane, unless you really get along with your “Band of Brothers.”

Do we expect a roaring comeback against the Jays tonight. This one game lead is not going to last long.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pagan sucked, but yet another night of just brutal hitting. Just brutal. 2 hits through 7

Last edited:

now would be a great time to bring Pagan in. With any luck the patrons will get to see Nick Gordon pitching before the concert.

Teacher's Pet blows another one. Maybe if they let Ryan go another inning yesterday instead of pulling him at 78 pitches, they wouldn't have to keep throwing that turd out there
Probably my biggest pet peeve with modern day baseball is the proclivity of managers using starters for only 4-6 innings. Just annoying.

Makes this story just mind blowing in retrospect:

It’s amazing how quickly our bullpen has potentially gone from a disaster to a strength just from those two moves.
Rocco can still manage it into a mess. I also don't understand how they booted Cotton and Moran to keep Megill, Pagan and Duffy. Especially Megill who has options and Pagan who should they should be done with by now.

Rocco can still manage it into a mess. I also don't understand how they booted Cotton and Moran to keep Megill, Pagan and Duffy. Especially Megill who has options and Pagan who should they should be done with by now.
I believe that Moran got sent down because the Blue Jays are a very right-handed heavy lineup. He'll be back soon.

Probably my biggest pet peeve with modern day baseball is the proclivity of managers using starters for only 4-6 innings. Just annoying.

Makes this story just mind blowing in retrospect:
What a beast!

It was really disheartening to turn the game on in the sixth inning last night and have to watch the usual suspects turn a tight game into a disaster.

Why did we give up half the talent in our farm system to throw Magill. Pagan and Duffey out there in a tight game against a good team during a pennant race?

with all of the attention to the pitching staff, let's not forget how banged-up this team is right now.

Buxton is in-and-out of the lineup with a bad knee. The rest of the OF: Kepler on IL, Larnach on IL, Garlick on IL, Kirilloff on IL. Oh, and let's not forget Royce Lewis out for the season.

The Twins are in a pennant race, and they're running out an outfield of Divin' Jake Cave, Nick "where is it" Gordon and Gilberto Celestino.

Correa has not been hitting. Arreaz has been in a slump since the all-star break. Sanchez can't buy a hit.

considering all of that, I'm somewhat amazed this team is even above .500 at this point.

Putting Pagan into a game that the Twins are winning by one or two runs is basically conceding defeat. I'm sick of Rocco. Dude can't manage his pitchers.
x1000.

I have no idea why Pagan is left with the big leaguers and Cotton gets sent down. If Pagan is out of options and that's why he has to stay here, then expose him to waivers.

x1000.

I have no idea why Pagan is left with the big leaguers and Cotton gets sent down. If Pagan is out of options and that's why he has to stay here, then expose him to waivers.
cause Pagan has another year of team control and is out of options. Plus he has “good” stuff or so the baseball people on Twitter says. That’s the reason they fear they might lose him for nothing if he is DFA’d. Now why they don’t find a fake injury for him to sit him for 15 days I don’t know.

Top Bottom