All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Twins get C Sandy Leon from Cleveland. Will start in St Paul.

1B/DH is about the easiest position to fill.
Agreed at DH but the Twins have struggled to fill 1B effectively since Mauer's last good offensive season in 2017. Their WAR and WAA rankings at 1B since 2017 are as follows:

Wins Above Replacement:

2017: 6th (4.1)
2018: 22nd (1.0)
2019: 16th (2.0)
2020: 24th (0.0)
2021: 22nd (0.9)
2022: 16th (1.0)

Wins Above Average:

2017: 6th (1.6)
2018: 22nd (-1.4)
2019: 16th (-0.3)
2020: 26th (-0.9)
2021: 21st (-1.1)
2022: 16th (-0.4)

In saying that, 1B hasn't hurt them too much this year as they rank 6th in total WAR for Non-Pitchers.

Obviously determing which prospects pan out is mostly a crapshoot. CES could flame out in AAA and Mahle could become a legitimate #2/#3 for years to come.

Really, as long as I don't see another Sano at-bat in a Twins uniform I will be happy (mostly).

The Minnesota Sports Gods sensed too much optimism....

The Minnesota Sports Gods sensed too much optimism....

Ugh. The Twins get to continue to play the what-if game regarding injuries to star/potential star players. Liriano, Morneau, Buxton, Royce Lewis.

Now Michael Fulmer switching dugouts. Really need to get an OF'er and then call it a day.

Really surprised the Cubs didn't move Contreras.

With the decision to be buyers at the deadline, I would love the Twins to go all-in this offseason and make a run at him somewhere in the realm of 5 years/$125 million. It would be similar to the deal Realmuto got with Philly. Would absolutely help with the pitching staff and possibly help in re-signing Correa if he opts out and they decide to pay the asking price.

The Twins have ranked 17th or lower in year-end payroll since 2013. If there was ever a time to spend and push towards the top 10, it is now.

Really surprised the Cubs didn't move Contreras.

With the decision to be buyers at the deadline, I would love the Twins to go all-in this offseason and make a run at him somewhere in the realm of 5 years/$125 million. It would be similar to the deal Realmuto got with Philly. Would absolutely help with the pitching staff and possibly help in re-signing Correa if he opts out and they decide to pay the asking price.

The Twins have ranked 17th or lower in year-end payroll since 2013. If there was ever a time to spend and push towards the top 10, it is now.
If Correa opts out, they have $ to spend. If he doesn't, they don't have a lot of room assuming they stay around $140 million. But I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Kepler in the off-season.

Winning​

Minnesota Twins​

In: RHP Tyler Mahle, RHP Jorge López, C Sandy León, RHP Michael Fulmer

Out:

LHP Cade Povich, RHP Yennier Cano, RHP Juan Nuñez, LHP Juan Rojas, LHP Steven Hajjar, INF Spencer Steer, INF Christian Encarnacion-Strand, RHP Ian Hamilton, RHP Sawyer Gipson-Long

The deals Minnesota made on deadline day were straightforward: a high volume of prospects, none of them from the team’s elite tier, for an All-Star closer and a reliable, durable mid-rotation starter. Mahle in particular will be quite valuable for a team that’s currently riding Chris Archer and Aaron Sanchez to the playoffs. Minnesota let both the Guardians and White Sox back into this AL Central race over the past few months; these trades at least mark the intention of securing that currently precarious division lead. And if it doesn’t work out in 2022, both Mahle and López are under team control beyond this year.

Last edited:

Archer needs to go. You can’t not overcome the lack of innings here pitches with this bullpen. The fact that he can give you 4.1 innings every 5 days does not offset the cost on the bullpen. Smeltzer needs to be up here in Archers place. You couple Archer with Bundy and 2/5’s of the starting rotation is almost guaranteed to give you under 5 innings of work when they pitch. That makes it even more maddening when the “good” starters are pulled prior to going through the line up a 3rd time.

We should be selling and cleaning house not adding. The Twins are not going anywhere. At the most another one and done season. A division title means absolutely nothing. It is the same old story. They are to cheap to have any elite pitching. Other winning teams of the past the leaders were obvious. I can not name a leader of this team on the field and in the clubhouse. We will see.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We should be selling and cleaning house not adding. The Twins are not going anywhere. At the most another one and done season. A division title means absolutely nothing. It is the same old story. They are to cheap to have any elite pitching. Other winning teams of the past the leaders were obvious. I can not name a leader of this team on the field and in the clubhouse. We will see.

I said this yesterday. They are hot garbage.

Buxton? Correa?

They had no one to sell. Or are you saying they should do a complete rebuild? Because that would be insane. Two of three additions will be around next year. So not a big deal if they don’t go anywhere this year.

Archer 73 1/3 innings over 18 starts is basically 4 innings a start. It is just too much to continually ask the bullpen to get 12 to 15 outs every 5 days when they are asked to get 9-12 outs every other day of the week. It’s a war of attrition and it’s getting to the twins. Hopefully the top 3 starters can get things going and get through 6 each time but I doubt it. The worst part is they could have teamed up archer with winder every 5th day and have wonder either start or come in in the 5th inning to pitch 3 innings, but that plan is gone.

They had no one to sell. Or are you saying they should do a complete rebuild? Because that would be insane. Two of three additions will be around next year. So not a big deal if they don’t go anywhere this year.
Correct. This team needs pitching. Is this their year? Highly unlikely, but they put themselves in a better spot to take another crack at it next year. And I realize I'm way higher on him than most, but Mahle really looks to me like a guy who has the ability to take a big step to the next level and become a true #1.

Top Bottom