All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Detroit is starting a lefty. I'm sure the Twins' computer (which I refer to as Skynet) has spit out reams of data showing that Kepler and Arraez don't hit as well against left-handed pitching.
It is against a lefty though. No idea what Kepler's splits are this year. Also battling some sort of ailment.
I get it. But sometimes that should go out the window after a really good day at the plate.

Detroit is starting a lefty. I'm sure the Twins' computer (which I refer to as Skynet) has spit out reams of data showing that Kepler and Arraez don't hit as well against left-handed pitching.
Maybe Gardy's "draw a line-up out of a hat, but the catcher must hit 3rd) line-ups had merit after all.

If you think today's lineup is wonky, wait till the Toronto series.

whether you agree or not, Canada does not allow unvaccinated players to enter the country. And, from all accounts, the Twins have a number of unvaccinated players.

media is speculating on who won't make the trip. Correa is vaccinated, but still has covid, so no word on when he can return.

several media members are claiming that the unvaccinated list includes Kepler, Kirilloff, Ryan and several other pitchers.

so the Toronto series has the potential to be really ugly or really amusing, depending on your point of view.
Kiriloff is on the taxi squad. So he traveled to Detroit just in case they need him, then they send him right back to St. Paul?

Batting averages vs LHP this season:
Arraez: .188
Kepler: .227 - 1 HR

Buxton has better numbers against lefties but I'm guessing he's sitting due to playing both games yesterday...

Garlick is batting .308 with 3 HR's against lefties. Larnach .400. Gordon .333. Miranda has been better against lefties at .217

Any chance we can get Torii Hunter to go into the Twins dugout and beat the snot out of the manager to try and get him to take this more seriously?

I see the game was essentially over in the bottom of the 1st. Got 2 hits which is better then I thought.

I’m gonna start counting your positive/negative posts starting now
The O/U is-50.5 in Vegas for the rest of the season - mortal lock on the over -50.5 🌞
It’s tough got be positive with this team as they do so many contradictory things. I stated before the season started they were a below .500 team and I stand by that so if I’m right it’ll be a long July and august.

They as a whole just seem so unconcerned about winning the game being played today and are worried about winning a game 7 days from now. That applies to the line up choices and bullpen usage along with the way people are called up / sent down. Miranda was finally hitting and no one was hurt so they call up Royce Lewis to play center field a position he played once and St Paul and a couple times in the Arizona fall league. What the hell was the point of sending him down if you are gonna play him in center. Now he’s hurt for probably 2 weeks. Keep him in triple A and let him play short stop every night as he will need to be the every day SS starting in 2023.

20 straight scoreless innings against Detroit. This is neither negative or positive, but a simple stating of fact so please NYC don’t count it against me.

Hey now, what place are we in?
At least 3 spots higher than I thought they would be at this point in the season. I would have said 4 when Spring Training started, but then they signed Correa.

^^^^^^

Would be 5 1/2 out in the AL East

3 1/2 out in the AL West

5 out in the NL East

2 out in the NL Central

4 out in the NL West

You can add 3 or 4 to each of those if we were playing in their divisions.

We are such frauds. But hey, we are in first.

^^^^^^

3 1/2 out in the AL West

5 out in the NL East

2 out in the NL Central

4 out in the NL West

Twins have played the 2nd easiest schedule so far. Have the 11th hardest to schedule finish the year.

It’s tough got be positive with this team as they do so many contradictory things. I stated before the season started they were a below .500 team and I stand by that so if I’m right it’ll be a long July and august.

They as a whole just seem so unconcerned about winning the game being played today and are worried about winning a game 7 days from now. That applies to the line up choices and bullpen usage along with the way people are called up / sent down. Miranda was finally hitting and no one was hurt so they call up Royce Lewis to play center field a position he played once and St Paul and a couple times in the Arizona fall league. What the hell was the point of sending him down if you are gonna play him in center. Now he’s hurt for probably 2 weeks. Keep him in triple A and let him play short stop every night as he will need to be the every day SS starting in 2023.
I understand baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. But damn, that is one (of numerous) things that drives me nuts about Rocco. Seemingly willing to throw in the towel before the game even starts. A game now counts the same as a game in September, when we're going to be pulling out all the stops to get wins. We need to have more fire when playing the cellar dwellers of the central.

Finishing a marathon isn't really my thing, but I've gotta guess it's easier to reach the finish line if you don't trip over your feet multiple times on the downhill portions of the course.

I understand baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. But damn, that is one (of numerous) things that drives me nuts about Rocco. Seemingly willing to throw in the towel before the game even starts. A game now counts the same as a game in September, when we're going to be pulling out all the stops to get wins. We need to have more fire when playing the cellar dwellers of the central.

Are we still complaining about the lineup yesterday? I posted the splits against LHP yesterday, and the lineup made quite a bit of sense.

Skubal is a top 10 SP in the majors currently and the Twins are one of the only teams who have gotten to him the last time they faced him. Correa who was unavailable had 3 hits and 3 RBI in that game. Celestino who was also unavailable had 2 hits. Urshela had 3 hits and Larnach had 2 against Skubal last time and they both played yesterday. That was most of their offense in that game.

Arraez was 0-5 and Kepler was 0-4 the last time Skubal started against the Twins. Buxton didn't play either time.

Twins have played the 2nd easiest schedule so far. Have the 11th hardest to schedule finish the year.

It's not going well at the moment. But the flip side is they've gotten little from Gray, Buxton can't say this bad and Correa should miss fewer games going forward. Plus Larnach and Kiriloff will have good 2nd halves IMO.

If they can get to June 13th with at least a 3 game lead, I'll take it.

^^^^^^

3 1/2 out in the AL West

5 out in the NL East

2 out in the NL Central

4 out in the NL West

By that reasoning, the '87 Twins, '06 Cardinals, and '21 Braves were frauds who should forfeit their World Series titles. It's really quite simple-win the division or stay home. There's no wild card berths for the AL Central this year, but getting into a short series with Gray, Ryan, and Smeltzer/Winder/Ober as your starters, and (hopefully) a healthy lineup is the aim.

Perhaps your time will be better spent on the NBA trade machine seeing what winning combination of players we can trade Anthony Edwards for.

By that reasoning, the '87 Twins, '06 Cardinals, and '21 Braves were frauds who should forfeit their World Series titles. It's really quite simple-win the division or stay home. There's no wild card berths for the AL Central this year, but getting into a short series with Gray, Ryan, and Smeltzer/Winder/Ober as your starters, and (hopefully) a healthy lineup is the aim.

Perhaps your time will be better spent on the NBA trade machine seeing what winning combination of players we can trade Anthony Edwards for.
It's June 2

Also, when I think of the Hrbek, Pucketts, Gaettis, Viola, Brunansky, and on and on

I'm definitely thinking 2022 Twins

Are you for real?

Why are we 0-18 in our last 18 playoff games with your logic? We should have been great! Most of those 0-18 teams were better than this one.

Last edited:

Are we still complaining about the lineup yesterday? I posted the splits against LHP yesterday, and the lineup made quite a bit of sense.

Skubal is a top 10 SP in the majors currently and the Twins are one of the only teams who have gotten to him the last time they faced him. Correa who was unavailable had 3 hits and 3 RBI in that game. Celestino who was also unavailable had 2 hits. Urshela had 3 hits and Larnach had 2 against Skubal last time and they both played yesterday. That was most of their offense in that game.

Arraez was 0-5 and Kepler was 0-4 the last time Skubal started against the Twins. Buxton didn't play either time.
I’m upset about the line up on the evening game of the double header. They just look so uninspired and took terrible at bats they just couldn’t wait for the game to be over. Losing that game is not great cause odds were pretty good you were not winning last night.

In baseball it’s almost more important when you play a team than in any other sport. Unless it’s the Yankees then the twins just crawl into the fetal position and die.

One game's lineup is but a canary in the coal mine. It's pulling a starter who is mowing down the opposing team because he hits 80 pitches. It's sitting players more than necessary. It's playing Miranda at first base when he has no business being there (and having errors that cost a game). His laissez faire attitude towards winning/losing games just gets annoying after a while. Again, I understand it's a marathon, but the season often comes down to a couple of games. A game in May against KC or Det counts the same as the last game of the year.

FWIW, there are those in the media who claim that Rocco is not necessarily making all of the decisions. there is a school of thought that some of this stuff is coming from higher-up, and Rocco is getting stuck with having to try and explain it.

don't know if I buy that or not.

Rocco is too laid-back for my taste. I liked Molitor as a manager, but I guess he wasn't "new-age" enough to deal with today's ballplayers..........

and as I type this, Pagan gives up a 420-ft HR off a hanging breaking ball, and the Tigers lead the Twins 3-2 going into the top of the 9th.

FWIW, there are those in the media who claim that Rocco is not necessarily making all of the decisions. there is a school of thought that some of this stuff is coming from higher-up, and R8occo is getting stuck with having to try and explain it.

don't know if I buy that or not.

Rocco is too laid-back for my taste. I liked Molitor as a manager, but I guess he wasn't "new-age" enough to deal with today's ballplayers..........

and as I type this, Pagan gives up a 420-ft HR off a hanging breaking ball, and the Tigers lead the Twins 3-2 going into the top of the 9th.
I don't think he is. They hired him because he's a spineless jellyfish.

Another bad loss. 2 runs in three games against bad teams.

Win Twins!!

Top Bottom