All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Is this the Rivas and Guzman that played 2nd and SS for the Twins team that won division titles and had their own baseball tonight segments that showcased their sweet defensive highlights? Are those the two guys that back for years? Just checking cuz yes those are two great examples of bad decisions of the Twins. Truly brilliant analysis 🧐
It is. Rivas was terrible. No better than AAA player his entire career. Guzman had a couple good seasons, one with the Twins.

Look at the WAR of those guys. It says all you need to know.

It is. Rivas was terrible. No better than AAA player his entire career. Guzman had a couple good seasons, one with the Twins.

Look at the WAR of those guys. It says all you need to know.

Per ⚾️ Reference, Rivas was -1.5, while Guzman was 12.6. So, your point is what?

Per ⚾️ Reference, Rivas was -1.5, while Guzman was 12.6. So, your point is what?

Rivas was horrible and Guzman was only ok.

For his career, Rivas worse than a AAA player. That's how bad he was. The Twins would have been better off playing a career AAA player than Rivas.

For his career, Rivas worse than a AAA player. That's how bad he was. The Twins would have been better off playing a career AAA player than Rivas.
Man, that's a lot of hostility held for a player who last played for the Twins 17 years ago, was a starter for four seasons, and generally batted ninth in the lineup. He played 153 games his rookie season at age 21 for a team that won 85 games. He never developed as hoped, but on the list of Twins disasters, he doesn't even garner notice for me.

I will admit to the bias of believing he turned the prettiest pivot at 2B on double play balls that I can recall.

I just showed you Guzman’s WAR was more than respectable as well as a career .271 avg. others on here agree.

The Twins employed Jeff Reboulet for multiple seasons so you can’t tell me Rivas wasn’t better than him. Rivas wasn’t great, but he wasn’t garbage/ Reboulet either.

Since you’ll never admit you got something wrong 🤣, you get .25 ⭐️ Regarding Rivas.

Henceforth l will tack on Subjective to your moniker and refer to you as such

Last edited:

Twins go with the Sunday "Gardy" lineup - no Correa, no Buxton, no Urshela. That used to drive me nuts. I can understand giving players a day off, but why on Sunday? that's usually a big weekend crowd - so you run the B-team out there? (I know today is a road game, but Gardy would do it at home, too.)

KC was up 6-0 after Cano got lit up in relief.

and just now, I check my phone and see that it's 6-5 after the Twins put up a 5-spot in the top of the 8th, including a HR by Garlick. Twins now have 6 hits in the inning. Tying run on base and.....Correa is pinch-hitting. I might have to turn the TV back on.

Correa walks. 2 on, 2 out, Celestino batting. A walk to load the bases. Arraez up. Pitching change.
and Arraez goes down looking at a 3rd strike with the bases loaded. KC up 6-5.

Twins go with the Sunday "Gardy" lineup - no Correa, no Buxton, no Urshela. That used to drive me nuts. I can understand giving players a day off, but why on Sunday? that's usually a big weekend crowd - so you run the B-team out there? (I know today is a road game, but Gardy would do it at home, too.)

and just now, I check my phone and see that it's 6-5 after the Twins put up a 5-spot in the top of the 8th, including a HR by Garlick. Twins now have 6 hits in the inning. Tying run on base and.....Correa is pinch-hitting. I might have to turn the TV back on.

Correa walks. 2 on, 2 out, Celestino batting. A walk to load the bases. Arraez up. Pitching change.
Arraez got screwed. 1st and 3rd strikes were not even close.

Top 9 - Polanco walks, Kepler 2B to RF. Runners on 2nd & 3rd, no out.
Sanchez Sac Fly, Polanco scores, game tied 6-all. 1 out, runner at 2nd base.
Wild pitch/passed ball - lead runner at 3rd. Larnach strikes out swinging.
Garlick walks. runners at 1st & 3rd.
Urshela batting (entered game as defensive replacement).
Urshela base hit - Kepler scores, Twins lead 7-6. KC another pitching change.

KC starter went 7 innings. Royals have now used 4 pitchers in the 8th & 9th.
Correa grounds out. Going to bottom of 9th with Twins holding a 1-run lead

Duran coming in to pitch.

Duran a 1-2-3 bottom of the 9th with two K's and a ground-out.

Twins win 7-6 after trailing 0-6 going into the top of the 8th.

biggest comeback for the Twins in .........a while. Twins' record improves to 25-16 on the year. 21-8 in their last 29 games - a .724 winning pace.

Twins now on pace to win 97 or 98 games this year.

They are normally traveling after Sunday’s game. Ergo it’s a travel day, so it gives them an extra day of rest both mentally and physically.
It makes sense to me if they’re on the road and traveling.

I would imagine some guys also like knowing for their schedules that they’ll have Sundays off as well as the bench guys know they’ll definitely be playing on Sundays, regardless of where they’re playing.

You can’t manage for “the crowd”, you need to have a plan and stick to it. As we used to say in sales, “those who fail to plan, plan to fail.”

Enjoy the W.

Last edited:

When this easy stretch against kc and detroit began, I said by June 2 I wanted twins to be 5 games ahead of the white sox and 12 games over .500. I may have underestimated. An amazing game.

I dozed off on the couch when they fell behind 6-0. Woke up in time for the bottom of the 9th.

I would imagine most Twins fans jumped in the car at the same time I nodded off to head up 35W and get back home at a reasonable hour.

When this easy stretch against kc and detroit began, I said by June 2 I wanted twins to be 5 games ahead of the white sox and 12 games over .500. I may have underestimated. An amazing game.
The White Sox have a tough next month too.

Dick and LaTroy were discussing this during a recent game.

the point was that, with MLB introducing a 'dead' baseball - or at least a less lively baseball - it is forcing hitters to re-adjust. the 'launch angle' and 'exit velocity' crowd are suddenly finding out that balls that were clearing the fence are now being caught at the warning track.

So, hitters are going to have to adjust. start hitting the ball the other way, hitting against the shift, hitting behind the runner, even bunting and stealing bases.

And Dick's point was that the Twins may be making those adjustments more quickly or more successfully than other teams.

as an old-timer, I like it.

Dick and LaTroy were discussing this during a recent game.

the point was that, with MLB introducing a 'dead' baseball - or at least a less lively baseball - it is forcing hitters to re-adjust. the 'launch angle' and 'exit velocity' crowd are suddenly finding out that balls that were clearing the fence are now being caught at the warning track.

So, hitters are going to have to adjust. start hitting the ball the other way, hitting against the shift, hitting behind the runner, even bunting and stealing bases.

And Dick's point was that the Twins may be making those adjustments more quickly or more successfully than other teams.

as an old-timer, I like it.
Two sacrifice bunts the other day. Kepler hitting the ball the other way. I agree, it at least appears the Twins are making adjustments.

Top Bottom