All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Then put him on the IL until he can play more than 2 games in a row...

It's Buck's team and he has to say to Rocco - division rival game, we need to win 2 of 3 after Houston, i'm good to pinch hit late - just give me an inning to get ready.

What is Rocco gonna say back to him?? There's plenty of blame to go around for that BS - can't think of one of the guys from the WS teams who wouldn't have been lobbying to get an AB. Being a great player doesn't automatically make you a great leader.

Meanwhile back at the Farm -

Canterino runs scoreless streak to 17 innings​

Make it five starts, four weeks and 17 consecutive innings since Matt Canterino surrendered a run. The No. 8 Minnesota prospect equaled season highs with six strikeouts and four innings to help lead Double-A Wichita past Northwest Arkansas, 4-3.

Canterino surrendered two hits and has yielded only four during his scoreless streak, which has lowered his ERA to 1.31. The 24-year-old is holding opponents to a .129 average and has fanned 28 in 20 innings. -- Michael Avallone

His stuff is supposed to be very nasty

he pitched the night before for an inning - why they used him in that game I have no idea. Should have saved him for 2 innings last night or for an inning in game 2 & 3 of the series. Stop playing checkers Rocco.

But Cotton's stuff belongs in St. Paul and not Mpls. Heck many on here could hit a letter high change up at 78 mph for a double off the RF wall.
I think he threw 18 pitches the night before, that’s not exactly a lot. I would have rather seen him go out for the 10th and if he gives up the run then pull him. If he doesn’t and you don’t score in the 10th then go get whatever bum out of the bullpen you want.

The fact they have only 1 lefty in the pen is also a problem. I am not counting Smeltzer as who knows how long he will be here. I do think he should stay as a long reliever as they do not have one currently. He would also be a second left handed pitcher.

I think he threw 18 pitches the night before, that’s not exactly a lot. I would have rather seen him go out for the 10th and if he gives up the run then pull him. If he doesn’t and you don’t score in the 10th then go get whatever bum out of the bullpen you want.

The fact they have only 1 lefty in the pen is also a problem. I am not counting Smeltzer as who knows how long he will be here. I do think he should stay as a long reliever as they do not have one currently. He would also be a second left handed pitcher.

My point was if you’re not going to pitch him in two innings in that game thenn don’t use him the night before- that’s when you gave a decent sized lead - use Cotton then or whoever to scuffle through an inning and not in a tie game in the 10th. Duran should only be used at this point in tie games or save situations - use him strategically. Poor handling of the staff and not looking ahead -play ♟ not checkers.

Buxton in CF today. That's good. Royce Lewis continues to bat 9th, even though he's hitting .310. Move him up, get him more at-bats.
They'll probably send him back down when Correa comes back and keep running Urshella out there.

Meanwhile back at the Farm -

Canterino runs scoreless streak to 17 innings​

Make it five starts, four weeks and 17 consecutive innings since Matt Canterino surrendered a run. The No. 8 Minnesota prospect equaled season highs with six strikeouts and four innings to help lead Double-A Wichita past Northwest Arkansas, 4-3.

Canterino surrendered two hits and has yielded only four during his scoreless streak, which has lowered his ERA to 1.31. The 24-year-old is holding opponents to a .129 average and has fanned 28 in 20 innings. -- Michael Avallone

His stuff is supposed to be very nasty
Got to hand it to them, they’ve done an excellent job developing pitching.

They'll probably send him back down when Correa comes back and keep running Urshella out there.
The only issue right now is 1B. Miranda should probably get sent down but him and Arraez are the only guys that can play 1B. I’m kinda surprised Larnach has never played 1B at any level.

I don’t know how they’ll juggle the roster once Larnach, Correa and Garlick return but Lewis can help this team win right now so he needs to stay up.

I just saw this. Former Twin, David West died yesterday from cancer.

The only issue right now is 1B. Miranda should probably get sent down but him and Arraez are the only guys that can play 1B. I’m kinda surprised Larnach has never played 1B at any level.

I don’t know how they’ll juggle the roster once Larnach, Correa and Garlick return but Lewis can help this team win right now so he needs to stay up.

It will be interesting - I think Urshela could do it, if you wanna play him regularly and slide Royce to 3rd and get Luis spot starts all over - man we need him to get 500+ ABs this year to be a real team in the fall

It will be interesting - I think Urshela could do it, if you wanna play him regularly and slide Royce to 3rd and get Luis spot starts all over - man we need him to get 500+ ABs this year to be a real team in the fall
Or after watching Gio make another insane D play at third, move Royce to first

Last edited:

Souhan has a column in the Strib going over the Buxton situation.

Apparently Buxton is dealing with patellar tendinitis. Buxton, the trainers and the coaching staff have a plan to try and get him through the season as healthy as possible.

under the plan, the goal is for Buxton to play roughly 100 games in the regular season.

because of the nature of the injury, when he has an "off-day" he is receiving treatment, and that is why they didn't have him pinch-hit the other night.

and - the injury apparently bothers him more when he is hitting. running is not as painful.

So, that is the official story.

Cool.
Couldn’t have been visible in Pete’s day. I wonder if The Hit King might get into The Hall in another 20-30 years as his crimes won’t seem so egregious then.
I think yes to him and Shoeless Joe and
No to the steroid bros - not sure if they’ll be that type of movement ever. At least not in my lifetime

Last edited:

Can only assume that injury occurred while sliding into second base as buck started the first 7 games of the season even after a short spring training. At least all the heat they took Saturday night made them come up with some excuse. Whether it’s real or not is a whole different thing. I just can’t believe Buxton is ok with it given how much money is tied to incentives and you ain’t gonna play 100 games and win the MVP.

I'm not sure why so many seem surprised about Buxton. He is made of glass. We're talking about the same guy who missed spring training time because he chipped a tooth on a steak. If he plays 100 games it's a minor miracle.

I
I'm not sure why so many seem surprised about Buxton. He is made of glass. We're talking about the same guy who missed spring training time because he chipped a tooth on a steak. If he plays 100 games it's a minor miracle.
I just wanna see a game go extra innings and the only player left is Buxton and they need a player. Rocco goes out on the field and shrugs like Selig did at the All Star game in Milwaukee when they ran out of players. Sorry folks the game is called a tie as we are out of players and Buxton can’t be bothered to play as we are resting him.

Just remember the same people that are trying to keep Buxton healthy by limiting to 100 games are also the same people that gave away Taylor Rodgers and $6million dollars for a mediocre starting pitcher and a sub average bill pen arm.

One can only imagine what a bullpen with Rodgers and Duran looks like for the 7th, 8th, and 9th.

Just remember the same people that are trying to keep Buxton healthy by limiting to 100 games are also the same people that gave away Taylor Rodgers and $6million dollars for a mediocre starting pitcher and a sub average bill pen arm.

One can only imagine what a bullpen with Rodgers and Duran looks like for the 7th, 8th, and 9th.
The Twins record will be almost identical if Rogers were closing games instead of Pagan. In the one game he blew a save, the Twins still won.

The Twins record will be almost identical if Rogers were closing games instead of Pagan. In the one game he blew a save, the Twins still won.

Yup. Rogers also has a blown save in a game the Padres ended up winning.

This is why I said closer is the most overrated position in baseball when he was traded. Even the good ones blow ~5 saves per year. If the Twins eventually need a better one, they can go pick one off of a bad team for a mid level prospect.

Yup. Rogers also has a blown save in a game the Padres ended up winning.

This is why I said closer is the most overrated position in baseball when he was traded. Even the good ones blow ~5 saves per year. If the Twins eventually need a better one, they can go pick one off of a bad team for a mid level prospect.
It has never really made sense to have your best reliever only pitch the 9th inning. If you're facing the heart of the other team's order in the 8th, wouldn't you want your best guy facing them? I think Duran will get some opportunities to get save opportunities but I'm happy they haven't just penciled him in as the 9th inning guy only.

Can only assume that injury occurred while sliding into second base as buck started the first 7 games of the season even after a short spring training. At least all the heat they took Saturday night made them come up with some excuse. Whether it’s real or not is a whole different thing. I just can’t believe Buxton is ok with it given how much money is tied to incentives and you ain’t gonna play 100 games and win the MVP.
With Buxton's history alone, why would there be any reason to doubt it's real?

Otherwise it would be a real special kind of stupid to not play him in the 130-140 game range. Pro franchises just aren't that dumb, with that kind of talent.

It has never really made sense to have your best reliever only pitch the 9th inning. If you're facing the heart of the other team's order in the 8th, wouldn't you want your best guy facing them? I think Duran will get some opportunities to get save opportunities but I'm happy they haven't just penciled him in as the 9th inning guy only.
This - the save statistic is arguably the dumbest that baseball ever came up with. There's no reason to designate a guy for one inning. I still remember that playoff game back in 2012 or so when the Orioles lost in extra innings with their closer (who was their best reliever), still sitting in the bullpen because they never had a "save situation".

Looking forward to the road trip - just keep winning series and it's tough to be caught.

I hope Archer takes a step forward tonight and goes 5+ with less than 2 walks and we jump on the Fs in the opener.

It’s not a closer it’s a person to pitch anytime you need to get out of a jam. Plus it’s another left handed pitcher. What if they had Rodgers to pitch Saturday in the 10th instead of cotton, that could have been a win.

Top Bottom