All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Pagan got the 8th inning against the bottom of the order and Duran gets their 3-4-5 in the 9th to get his first save. Also interesting to see Jax get the 7th in a 1-run game. He’s looked good so far. Will probably see him more in close games going forward, especially with Duffey struggling.
If they don't want to use Duran back to back, I wonder if Jax is an option to close? He does seem to give up a lot of base runners at times though.

Also, just saw the attendance: 7,400. Yikes.That is such a great ballpark.

If they don't want to use Duran back to back, I wonder if Jax is an option to close? He does seem to give up a lot of base runners at times though.

Also, just saw the attendance: 7,400. Yikes.That is such a great ballpark.
I’m still guessing Pagan will get most of the opportunities. But the more good reliable guys they can develop, the better.

The Twins have really struggled putting a legitimate, young, controllable starting staff together. It's much harder to build a starting pitching staff than a bullpen, in my opinion. You have a couple years to find out what you have in Paddock. Then you hope some combination of Ryan/Ober/Paddock/Winder/Maeda and a couple of the kids coming up and you might have a chance to do something. I haven't even mentioned Gray. I like where the starting staff is headed too. Small sample size obviously but hard not to be optimistic so far. I'd rather need to find a closer.

Amazing how a legit starting staff changes everything - Justin, who is so good and makes Bremer bearable for me, mentioned last night that Twins starters have the best ERA of any starters in the AL. Part of that is due to the low walk rate and stellar defense (making all the routine plays and some spectacular ones also) - man is that a great combo and I as a baseball purist/snob of sorts, I enjoy that more than winning 10-8 and setting a HR record; it’s also more sustainable IMO.

We are 14% done with the schedule so still early, but the pitching looks like it won’t be an issue this year and I’m not scared of injuries to starters anymore due to the depth we have - Winder looks legit as heck and Paddock just keeps throwing strikes and improving.

I’m giddy for a summer of this type of ⚾️.

Last edited:

Miguel, my 🛎
Thanks for some wonderful whiffs
Appreciate the Bomba 💣
Heal 🆙 and make the most of your next opportunity
You’re a good Dude, just focus on the ⚾
And not any distractions - 🍚, 🍺, 👩, 💰

Last edited:

A torn meniscus? That's shouldn't be season ending, he should be back by the All-Star break.

Morneau last night said it was season ending.

They’ll stash him on IR and let him recover and work on getting his skills back vs. DFA him - saves face for him and makes him look less like he’s got nothing left and the Twins are washing their hands of him -ala the Mets and Cano, i.e, blame the injury and not the player, playa. Twins taking care of their guy as best they can till the end -laudable and shows a well run club.

He’s not playing again during meaningful regular season games - they got younger guns like Miranda whose earned his shot and needs those ABs, so he can figure out the next level and the Twins can see what he can do and needs to work on.

Time stands still for no one; especially in an ultra competitive field, like pro baseball ⚾️.
Simmons and Colme found homes again, someone will give Miggy a chance next year IMO

Last edited:

Morneau last night said it was season ending.

They’ll stash him on IR and let him recover and work on getting his skills back vs. DFA him - saves face for him and makes him look less like he’s got nothing left and the Twins are washing their hands of him -ala the Mets and Cano, i.e, blame the injury and not the player, playa. Twins taking care of their guy as best they can till the end -laudable and shows a well run club.

He’s not playing again during meaningful regular season games - they got younger guns like Miranda whose earned his shot and needs those ABs, so he can figure out the next level and the Twins can see what he can do and needs to work on.

Time stands still for no one; especially in an ultra competitive field, like pro baseball ⚾️.
Simmons and Colme found homes again, someone will give Miggy a chance next year IMO
Miami or Pittsburg and he will weigh 400lbs by the time the season is over. He’s had a lot of bad luck with injuries, but it also got to his head and he may or may not have put in the needed work to continually get better. In todays game if you can hit a 95mph fastball above the belt you ain’t gonna make it cause the off speed stuff is so unhittable.

Miami or Pittsburg and he will weigh 400lbs by the time the season is over. He’s had a lot of bad luck with injuries, but it also got to his head and he may or may not have put in the needed work to continually get better. In todays game if you can hit a 95mph fastball above the belt you ain’t gonna make it cause the off speed stuff is so unhittable.

Timing is the only question at this point.

As my sales manager used to quip back in the day, “You’re either growing or going,”

Timing is the only question at this point.

As my sales manager used to quip back in the day, “You’re either growing or going,”
He was signed as a 16 year old shortstop although his actual age was questioned at the time given physical body compared to other 16 year olds.

He was signed as a 16 year old shortstop although his actual age was questioned at the time given physical body compared to other 16 year olds.

The quote is about improving oneself (figurative) not a comment about size/girth (literal). I have found it to be applicable for most everything in life, as being static isn’t an option, as much as a short-term rest area.

On Sano - it depends on the type of procedure being done.

Currently, there are three main methods of modern surgical management of meniscus tears: arthroscopic partial meniscectomy; meniscal repair with or without augmentation techniques; and meniscal reconstruction.

Depending on the nature of the injury and the method of repair, recovery time can range from 6 weeks to three months or longer.

Best-case scenario, Sano could be back by July.
Worst-case is a season-ending situation.
reality is probably somewhere in-between.

As of yet, I have not seen any information on how bad the problem is, or what surgical option is being considered.

It has been an annual event, hoping that Sano can get off to a strong start to a season, and then trade him. But he seems to never get off to a good start.

On Sano - it depends on the type of procedure being done.

Currently, there are three main methods of modern surgical management of meniscus tears: arthroscopic partial meniscectomy; meniscal repair with or without augmentation techniques; and meniscal reconstruction.

Depending on the nature of the injury and the method of repair, recovery time can range from 6 weeks to three months or longer.

Best-case scenario, Sano could be back by July.
Worst-case is a season-ending situation.
reality is probably somewhere in-between.

As of yet, I have not seen any information on how bad the problem is, or what surgical option is being considered.

As posted previously -
Mourneau said last night that he was done for the year FWIW.

Last edited:

Doc Roc giving Buxton another day off after playing 3 in a row. Through 25 games he has now started 12 in CF, DH'd 4, had 3 Doc Roc days off and missed 6 with injuries. Even when healthy, we will only play the best CF'er in the game 70% of the time. Sigh.

As posted previously -
Mourneau said last night that he was done for the year FWIW.
Even if he's not, they should just release him when he's healthy. He has no value to the Twins and no value in a trade. Miranda is better than him. So is Arreaz. So is Kiriloff.

Even if he's not, they should just release him when he's healthy. He has no value to the Twins and no value in a trade. Miranda is better than him. So is Arreaz. So is Kiriloff.

I don’t think he has any trade value either, I simply think they may choose to have a different scenario for the end of his Twins career.

Sano is under contract for the rest of the season.

There is a team option for next year. I believe the Twins can buy him out for something like $3 million.

So, if they release Sano, they still owe him for this year and the buyout for next year.

that is not the Twins' way. they will try to get some type of return on the investment.

There is a team option for next year. I believe the Twins can buy him out for something like $3 million.

So, if they release Sano, they still owe him for this year and the buyout for next year.

that is not the Twins' way. they will try to get some type of return on the investment.
By the time he comes back, he'll be owed a total of about $8 million with the buyout. He has no trade value at that price.

Even if it's throwing pucks in the urinal

Doc Roc giving Buxton another day off after playing 3 in a row. Through 25 games he has now started 12 in CF, DH'd 4, had 3 Doc Roc days off and missed 6 with injuries. Even when healthy, we will only play the best CF'er in the game 70% of the time. Sigh.
Honestly, given Buxton's track record over the long haul and this season, I can't fault him for giving him a day off. Just can't. Also I don't think this is a Rocco decision only. It as to be a collaborative effort with Buxton, Baldelli, Falvey, Levine, trainers and agents that this is the plan.

Saying that, I really hope Buxton plays on Friday, my season debut at Target Field.

Top Bottom