All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

In the last 10 games, twins have gained 6 games on cleveland and detroit, and have gained 7 games on chicago and kc. Crazy.
When Ober and Gray come back later this week, Winder will likely be sent back to the bullpen. Also crazy, but only other option is a seven man rotation.

Hindsight 20/20 and all, but Taylor Rogers got his 9th save today and has a 0.00 ERA. We have 7 starters and no closer....

Hindsight 20/20 and all, but Taylor Rogers got his 9th save today and has a 0.00 ERA. We have 7 starters and no closer....
Man, when it comes to the Twins you sure are Eeyore. To start May with 7 capable starters while having to fix the back end of the bullpen seems like a good position to be in, all things considered. They’ve won 9 of 10 and have a real chance to stretch this lead out over the next month. Maybe allow yourself to enjoy the ride?

Man, when it comes to the Twins you sure are Eeyore. To start May with 7 capable starters while having to fix the back end of the bullpen seems like a good position to be in, all things considered. They’ve won 9 of 10 and have a real chance to stretch this lead out over the next month. Maybe allow yourself to enjoy the ride?
And Taylor Rogers was a disaster last year, if I remember correctly, especially early in the year. It's over. Move on and enjoy the season.

Godoy ( third catcher) and Sands back to St. Paul; both acquired themselves well IMO for their first shot.
miggy to DL and imagine Sonny back on as he was doing a rehab stint at Fort Meyers, just up the road from Tampa - guessing he’ll pitch against the As after the Os series.

First time many hitters have face him - let's see how he faces after they have the book on him and he faces these guys more - i.e. after the break.

Regression to the Bundy?

The only reason Rogers wasn't dealt last year was because he got hurt just ahead of the trade deadline. He was not going to be retained beyond 2023.

Relief pitchers are the most dealt position around the deadline. If they are still in first place, just go and get Matt Capps. Problem solved.

Over our last 9 wins we've only needed a closer in 3 of them. If you have a good offense and a good starting pitching staff, your relievers and closer become far less important.

How many games has our closer situation cost us this year? 1? Rogers has a blown save, but they ended up winning that game. He'll blow games later this season because all closers do. If the Twins need a closer later this season, it's easy to pick one off of a bad team for a middle tier prospect or two.

Maybe Alcala can eventually take Duran‘s set-up role and Duran can close. Duran has been awesome.
I originally wanted Duran to be the full time closer but now prefer he isn’t. I’d rather he face the opponent’s best hitters, whether that’s the 7th, 8th or 9th inning.

Relief pitchers are the most dealt position around the deadline. If they are still in first place, just go and get Matt Capps. Problem solved.
True. But they have to get to July as is probably. Having only 3 save chances in 22 games is unusual.

First time many hitters have face him - let's see how he faces after they have the book on him and he faces these guys more - i.e. after the break.

Regression to the Bundy?
Perhaps. Regression is guaranteed!

A 3.35 ERA and an ERA+ of 128 is a disaster?
I remember him blowing several games early in the year. So he turned it around. Good.

Much like panicking because we blew one game after he was traded- this year, I think they will be just fine without him in the end.

I would still make the same trade again today.
They couldn’t pay him next year and Paddock may end up being a legit find and Pagan may not have closer stuff (he did get 20 a couple of years ago for the Rays), but that doesn’t means ha can’t still be a contributor.
I love that starting depth we have btw

as mentioned above, it would be nice to get Alcala back to have another hard-thrower in the Pen. Duffey is really struggling.

looking at the Bullpen, I like what Smith is doing. Jax has actually looked good recently. Stashak is a replacement-level RP. Thielbar has been shaky and Coulombe is a warm body that throws left-handed. Pagan is OK for middle innings, but I don't like him for a closer.

Duran is so much better than anyone else in the pen, it's not even close. Given his lack of innings in recent years, I'm sure Rocco & Co. will handle him with kid gloves.

Sano may be done for the season if they go with surgery.

His contract is up this year as well. He may need to move to a new spot to rediscover himself; if Colme and Simmons can find a new home, then Miggy might be able to find a new home as well - the injury/ surgery gives him some cover for this season as well.

They couldn’t pay him next year and Paddock may end up being a legit find and Pagan may not have closer stuff (he did get 20 a couple of years ago for the Rays), but that doesn’t means ha can’t still be a contributor.
I love that starting depth we have btw

The Twins have really struggled putting a legitimate, young, controllable starting staff together. It's much harder to build a starting pitching staff than a bullpen, in my opinion. You have a couple years to find out what you have in Paddock. Then you hope some combination of Ryan/Ober/Paddock/Winder/Maeda and a couple of the kids coming up and you might have a chance to do something. I haven't even mentioned Gray. I like where the starting staff is headed too. Small sample size obviously but hard not to be optimistic so far. I'd rather need to find a closer.

Pagan got the 8th inning against the bottom of the order and Duran gets their 3-4-5 in the 9th to get his first save. Also interesting to see Jax get the 7th in a 1-run game. He’s looked good so far. Will probably see him more in close games going forward, especially with Duffey struggling.

Top Bottom