All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Joe Ryan is so fun to watch - all Star team this year barring injury

Twins just made 2 very good plays in the 6 with Correa and polanco fielding tough chances and completing with off balance throws. Our D is extremely impressive thus far

Larnach and Jeffers both with 2 extra base hits - very encouraging

Larnach has been hitting the ball well for a little while now. Good to see him starting to get rewarded with hits. Kepler’s on fire and Jeffers is heating up. If Correa and Polanco can get things going, look out.

What the hell does this stat even mean? Please promise we aren’t looking at stats like this over, you know, batting average or K/HR ratio.

Win Twins!!
It just means he’s hitting the ball hard so there’s probably some bad luck involved in his low numbers so far. It’s not the only reason of course.

It’s just another metric to look at.

It just means he’s hitting the ball hard so there’s probably some bad luck involved in his low numbers so far. It’s not the only reason of course.

It’s just another metric to look at.
It's worth noting that that's on batted balls...which he doesn't have a high percentage of (i.e., lots of strikeouts). Sooo, when he hits the ball, he hits it hard.

It's worth noting that that's on batted balls...which he doesn't have a high percentage of (i.e., lots of strikeouts). Sooo, when he hits the ball, he hits it hard.
Yep of course. Although his strikeout rate is lower than it usually is. His BAbip (Batting average on balls put in play only) is incredibly low at .121. His career BAbip is .324. A player can have some control over their BAbip but there's also a lot of luck involved.

By no means am I trying to make excuses for him. He's a frustrating player. But I don't think it's time to completely pull the plug on him based on results in April. I would cut his playing time back a little to maybe starting 50% of the time. Then once his bat hopefully gets going, play him more.

Joe Ryan is so fun to watch - all Star team this year barring injury

Twins just made 2 very good plays in the 6 with Correa and polanco fielding tough chances and completing with off balance throws. Our D is extremely impressive thus far
At the risk of jumping too early on a small sample size, Ryan feels like the first true ace we've had since Johan Santana. He has a confidence bordering on arrogance factor that an ace needs and Berrios never quite had.

At the risk of jumping too early on a small sample size, Ryan feels like the first true ace we've had since Johan Santana. He has a confidence bordering on arrogance factor that an ace needs and Berrios never quite had.

4 Tigers errors in 5 innings so far -amazing how much bad D there is.

6-0 home stand and 7-game winning streak. The schedule is extremely favorable the next month or so too. After these 3 next games with Tampa, they have Baltimore-4, Oakland-6, Houston-3, Cleveland-3, KC-7 and Detroit-8.

Time for a extended winning streak. Let’s take out the broom complete the sweep tomorrow and leave it out for the Tiggers as well!
Prescient Yogi - Good Bear.

I , err I mean Yogi, foresees a 5-2 upcoming road trip.
Super impressed with Larnac and his improvement on the off-speed pitches this year; he has a higher ceiling than AK IMO.

1651182837042.png

Last edited:

Granted it’s early, but this division looks really bad so far.
The White Sox have had a ton of injuries so I expect them to get better. But with our schedule coming up, hopefully we can take advantage.

6-0 home stand and 7-game winning streak. The schedule is extremely favorable the next month or so too. After these 3 next games with Tampa, they have Baltimore-4, Oakland-6, Houston-3, Cleveland-3, KC-7 and Detroit-8.
White Sox fans on twitter will have you know Johnny Cueto is on the way and all is well.

Bleed - as another older fellow who grew up in an era when the traditional 'counting' stats mattered, I share your view on the Age of Analytics.

StatCast is the system that provides the new-age numbers.

two numbers the announcers LOVE to talk about:

Exit Velocity = how fast the ball comes off the bat
Launch Angle = the arc that the ball travels

and you get the announcer saying things like

"that ball had exit velo of 112 with a launch angle of 35 degrees."

meaning, he hit a hard and high fly ball that landed in the seats. aka a Home Run.

I generally like Cory Provus on the Twins' Radio Network, but he is a numbers guy, and he says
"exit velo" (pronounced vee-low) which drives me nuts.

don't get me going on Spin Rate. (how fast a pitch spins or revolves on its way to the plate)

there are days I wish I could be in a Twilight Zone episode where some guy gets to go back in time, so I could go to a game at Met Stadium, sit on those wooden plank seats above 3rd base, eat a Frosty Malt with those little wooden spoons, and watch Killebrew and Oliva again.

those days now live only in my memories.

Bleed - as another older fellow who grew up in an era when the traditional 'counting' stats mattered, I share your view on the Age of Analytics.

StatCast is the system that provides the new-age numbers.

two numbers the announcers LOVE to talk about:

Exit Velocity = how fast the ball comes off the bat
Launch Angle = the arc that the ball travels

and you get the announcer saying things like

"that ball had exit velo of 112 with a launch angle of 35 degrees."

meaning, he hit a hard and high fly ball that landed in the seats. aka a Home Run.

I generally like Cory Provus on the Twins' Radio Network, but he is a numbers guy, and he says
"exit velo" (pronounced vee-low) which drives me nuts.

don't get me going on Spin Rate. (how fast a pitch spins or revolves on its way to the plate)

there are days I wish I could be in a Twilight Zone episode where some guy gets to go back in time, so I could go to a game at Met Stadium, sit on those wooden plank seats above 3rd base, eat a Frosty Malt with those little wooden spoons, and watch Killebrew and Oliva again.

What, no HomerDome? 😉

Orange pop!

Top Bottom