All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

FWIW -
I'm gonna say your source is wrong (the tweet from Meg Ryan -included in the post I’m responding to) - still nothing on the MLB which lists Sands as the starter, let alone has been recalled from St. Paul.

If this is a bullpen game with an opener, as it appears to be, then I'd give the ball to Moran and see what he can do over 2/3 innings against the Yanks - Jax for the middle three and then go from there - if we have the lead. Moran is part of our future, so let's ride with him and see what he can do as a starter

The beat writer for the Twins on the MLB app (highly recommend it) said they're looking for Ryan to have at a minimum another bullpen session or a rehab start - he is an All-Star level pitcher, no sense in rushing him when he's not ready - don't' want to be a penny wise and a pound foolish.

RE: Roccoc - I highly doubt that he makes unilateral decisions moves regarding players on the IL - this ain't Earl Weaver at the helm. I'm sure that they all put their heads together: player, trainer, front office and Rocco and map out a plan. He's not the best manager in baseball, butt not the worst either and his track record has been impressive so far (2 AL Central Crowns/Mgr. of the year) and most people get better in their jobs with experience

All I want to do is split the next 6 with the Yanks & Rays and then we'll be much healthier moving forward.

I'm ecstatic that we're in first, have a deep bench and a farm system that look healthy and productive (see MLb's take in the link below) -

I love your passion for sports bro, however, sometimes the reality is this -

View attachment 18780

Sands with the start- swing and a miss by NYC - maybe a good omen for an improbable 2 out of 3 series win?

Correa took part in pre-game activities today, which means he has cleared covid protocol. He won't be activated today, but tomorrow seems likely.

I was going to ask for the over/under on what moment someone would toss out the Yankee hex... I thought it would be after the first Yankees run but I see that howeda7 has already chocked up a loss despite the first pitch not being for another couple of hours. Psychologists could have some interesting studies around here!

I was going to ask for the over/under on what moment someone would toss out the Yankee hex... I thought it would be after the first Yankees run but I see that howeda7 has already chocked up a loss despite the first pitch not being for another couple of hours. Psychologists could have some interesting studies around here!
Hey...some of us have been here since it started....

I wouldn't be surprised if we see #9 prospect, Spencer Steer, up with the Twins if there's more injuries in the infield. 3rd rounder in 2019 out of Oregon has looked really good the past two seasons. Hit 24 HRs last year at A+ and AA. Has 14 so far this year at AA & AAA. Just had 3 homeruns on Sunday for the Saints. He's played a bunch at 3B, SS and 2B this year.

Lemme steer you towards this article - one of the reasons, I think that Gordon may be traded as we have him for next year (if need be) and Rolls can fill Nick's role for the rest of the season -

Spencer Steer Closing in on the Twins​

St. Paul, MN - Spencer Steer was promoted to Triple-A St. Paul on Monday after a successful second turn through Double-A Wichita. Steer was drafted in the third round of the 2019 Major League Baseball draft out of Oregon, and he’s now one step away from an eventual Major League debut.
Spencer-Steer.jpg.37f98cd1e26d22cc6b5142472ae6fedf.jpg

Image courtesy of Rob Thompson, St. Paul Saints

Collegiate powerhouse Oregon featured Steer primarily at shortstop in his junior year, although he played at the hot corner some. In his final college season, he posted a .958 OPS with six homers across 56 games. He was drafted as a solid defender with a good bat that had the ceiling of a solid regular at the highest level.

It was hard to be unimpressed by Steer in his professional debut. Across 64 games the infield posted an .809 OPS and made quick work of the Appalachian League before earning a promotion to Cedar Rapids. Shelved, like everyone else in 2020, Steer opened last season as a 23-year-old a bit above the average at the Single-A level. His .915 OPS there showed he was ready for more, and the Twins gave him 65 games at Double-A Wichita in the inaugural season for the new affiliate.

Again getting close to the higher end of the average age at Double-A, Steer made quick work of another level. In 35 games this season he posted a .976 OPS and clubbed eight home runs. He often played up the middle with top prospect Austin Martin, and the two combined to play strong defense for the Wind Surge.

Maybe most surprisingly for Steer’s game has been the development of power. He hit just 12 long balls in 163 college games and then had just four in his first 64 professional games. When coming back from the Covid shutdown, Steer flashed his hard work. 24 dingers split between Cedar Rapids and Wichita last season was six times his previous career-high. Already with eight this season, it doesn’t appear the power surge was a fluke.

The Twins have used Steer all over the infield as a minor leaguer. He’s probably best cast at second or third base, but he’s adequate at shortstop too. Playing alongside another top prospect in St. Paul, Royce Lewis and Steer can certainly feed off of each other as was the case with the situation down in Kansas.

It’s probably lofty to suggest that Steer has the pedigree to be a perennial All-Star or something of that sort, but there’s no denying he’s looked the part of a Major League regular at each stop throughout the system. Obviously, the Twins have a current answer at shortstop, and Lewis appears tabbed for the future. Gio Urshela doesn’t look like a mainstay, and while Jorge Polanco is penciled in at second, he’s always going to need days off. Having a depth piece like Steer is some nice found money in the prospect world.

I don’t know that Steer has a calling card of sorts yet. Luis Arraez plays all over the place and has a bat that simply doesn’t slump. His plate discipline is unmatched and it makes him one of the toughest outs in the game. Nick Gordon also plays everywhere, but it’s his speed that separates him. Steer could wind up being a big bat off the bench with the pop he’s shown, or he could just be a solid all-around utility man.

Not yet on the 40-man roster, Steer will need to earn one more promotion in order to make his dreams come true. The journey got a bit closer when he singled up the middle in his second at-bat for the Saints. He’ll show he belongs here in time too, and then comes the final step.

It 3-0 Yankees already. Aaron Judge 2 run homer and Giancarlo Stanton's solo home run. Why do we have to play the Yankees.

It 3-0 Yankees already. Aaron Judge 2 run homer and Giancarlo Stanton's solo home run. Why do we have to play the Yankees.
Forfeits generally don't produce a lot of revenue for anyone.
Not a hex. The Yankees have been flat out superior.

Well the first pitch has been thrown and it’s 3-0.

Last edited:

-5 for posting non relevant negativity to today's game.

Also missed your insights while we won the Toronto series :)
It was a great a series. They scored runs and pitched well. Of course Duffey proved he should only be used when your down 5 or up 10 and nothing in between. With a plastic comes a negative. 😁

The starting of Cole Sands got me thinking of Dobnak and where he was at. Didn’t even know he was on the 60 day IL. What a terrible waste of money for no reason.

Still battling tonight but of course like all yankee games it won’t end until 10:30 when it started at 6:20.

It was a great a series. They scored runs and pitched well. Of course Duffey proved he should only be used when your down 5 or up 10 and nothing in between. With a plastic comes a negative. 😁

The starting of Cole Sands got me thinking of Dobnak and where he was at. Didn’t even know he was on the 60 day IL. What a terrible waste of money for no reason.

Still battling tonight but of course like all yankee games it won’t end until 10:30 when it started at 6:20.

+3

Can we sit Byron for 10 days. He’s lost and this whole thing of DHing him doesn’t make any sense given his biggest attribute is his defense.

Thank you Rocco Baldelli for one of the worst managing i seen tonight. He bring in Tyler Duffey to pitch. Why or why did you do that Rocco Baldelli. horrible.

Ownership so huge that's it's just eery!

Total mind control.

Jesus Christ what more does Duffey have to show you that he can’t be trusted in a close game. This whole game the twins were dodging bullets like the matrix and Duffey finally couldn’t dodge them with a weak single and a walk and a home run.

Thank you Rocco Baldelli for one of the worst managing i seen tonight. He bring in Tyler Duffey to pitch. Why or why did you do that Rocco Baldelli. horrible.
because every time we see pinstripes, the players shit the bed, the manager shits the bed.

The funny thing is that I watch it and fans pay for it. We must like getting bent over. LMAO

Jesus Christ what more does Duffey have to show you that he can’t be trusted in a close game. This whole game the twins were dodging bullets like the matrix and Duffey finally couldn’t dodge them with a weak single and a walk and a home run.
Ah, we'd lose no matter who they pitch or play.

We are playing the Yankees. They mind fuk with us every single game.

And Duffey strikes again with a hanging curve ball for a 3-run HR. Can't keep throwing him out there. Time to come up with a phantom injury.

This is the problem I have with the twins and their thoughts. Play to win todays game the hell with what happens tomorrow. You save Duran for an inning you have a lead and that may never get here. You could have brought him in to get out of Duffeys mess but you don’t and now the games almost over so you probably won’t need him tonight. The emphasis to win the current game vs a game tomorrow is just mind boggling to me.

In all fairness Rocco is not telling his pitchers to walk every other batter they face. At some point you have to be able to throw a strike.

In all fairness Rocco is not telling his pitchers to walk every other batter they face. At some point you have to be able to throw a strike.
In fairness Duffey has been bad since 20/21 so when do you cut the cord. Did he not just watch what happened in Toronto? Why would he expect something else tonight against maybe the best team / lineup in baseball. You have to put players in positions to succeed and putting Duffey in this game was not putting him in a position to succeed.

Honestly for giving up 14 hits and 9 walks to only allow 10 runs is pretty good. Big difference in the game is that walk difference with the twins waking once and the Yankees waking 9 times.

Not even upset it’s just exactly as I thought it would go down. Kinda like watching a bowl game or Wisconsin game with Mason coaching, expect the loss and you’re not as unhappy m.

Can we sit Byron for 10 days. He’s lost and this whole thing of DHing him doesn’t make any sense given his biggest attribute is his defense.
The time to sit him was 2 weeks ago. He's finally coming around now. Hitting OK the last week with a HR and a double. Plus 10 days isn't going to change anything. Either he plays through it or goes out for 2 months.

Top Bottom