All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

have not seen any update on Duran's leg.

on the pitching, apparently Ryan is going to do a bullpen and then they'll decide if he needs a rehab start. haven't heard anything new on Gray. Alcala is starting a rehab stint in the low minors. Kenta Maeda is coming back to MN to be with the Twins while he continues his rehab. still hopes to pitch later this season. Winder will be evaluated soon to see how his shoulder is doing.

Correa is close to coming off Covid list but (of course) Rocco says he needs time to get back in playing shape.

some interesting decisions are looming. Kirilloff is red-hot in AAA, including hitting for power. He says the wrist is better but not 100% pain-free. and Spencer Steer has been lighting it up at AAA including a 3-HR game recently.

have not seen any update on Duran's leg.

on the pitching, apparently Ryan is going to do a bullpen and then they'll decide if he needs a rehab start. haven't heard anything new on Gray. Alcala is starting a rehab stint in the low minors. Kenta Maeda is coming back to MN to be with the Twins while he continues his rehab. still hopes to pitch later this season. Winder will be evaluated soon to see how his shoulder is doing.

Correa is close to coming off Covid list but (of course) Rocco says he needs time to get back in playing shape.

some interesting decisions are looming. Kirilloff is red-hot in AAA, including hitting for power. He says the wrist is better but not 100% pain-free. and Spencer Steer has been lighting it up at AAA including a 3-HR game recently.
And apparently Sano is scheduled to rehab sometime this week.

I can hardly wait to see him work those helpless pitchers into three or four 0-2 counts a game. He's a master.

I can see him being included in a trade for some pitching, if they can get someone to take him/ the rest or part of his contract.
Or worse case outright released.

I can see him being included in a trade for some pitching, if they can get someone to take him/ the rest or part of his contract.
Or worse case outright released.
He has no value in a trade. No one is picking up the option to pay him $13 million next year.

He has no value in a trade. No one is picking up the option to pay him $13 million next year.
Kepler might have some trade value. Just not to Toronto.............

seriously, was thinking about this. the Twins' current optimal lineup as I see it: (position, not batting order)
Larnach LF
Buxton CF
Kepler RF
Urshela 3B
Correa SS
Polanco 2B
Arraez 1B
Sanchez C
DH - ? - maybe Miranda right now, or bring Kirilloff back up from AAA.

bench of Celestino, Gordon, Jeffers

that's a pretty solid lineup. If the front office has the guts to trade some prospects for a starting pitcher, they could match up with almost any team in MLB - except the Dodgers and Yankees, who appear to be on a different level.

seriously, was thinking about this. the Twins' current optimal lineup as I see it: (position, not batting order)
Larnach LF
Buxton CF
Kepler RF
Urshela 3B
Correa SS
Polanco 2B
Arraez 1B
Sanchez C

that's a pretty solid lineup. If the front office has the guts to trade some prospects for a starting pitcher, they could match up with almost any team in MLB - except the Dodgers and Yankees, who appear to be on a different level.

Lewis likely plugs into Correa's spot next year, but what do you do with him this year?

Garlick has also been a pleasant surprise this year. Do they get rid of him too?

This line-up does really have some depth as you said, particularly if Polanco trends closer to last year.

Larnach LF
Buxton CF
Kepler RF
Urshela 3B
Correa SS
Polanco 2B
Arraez 1B
Sanchez C

Kepler has trade value, but I don't see why we want to trade him and I don't know that teams like Oakland/Cincinnati would value him that much as he's not that cheap anymore. If we want to add pitching we'll have to give up prospects. I'm fine with parting with anyone who's not Royce Lewis as long as we don't overpay. I don't think this team is winning the World Series no matter who they add to the rotation thanks to the Yankees/Dodgers.

Cole Sands chould be starting tomorrow night game vs the Yankees. oh boy.

Cole Sands chould be starting tomorrow night game vs the Yankees. oh boy.

Sands, Archer, Bundy apparently are our 3 starters for this series. Might as well just forfeit. If there's anyway Joe Ryan can start one of these 3 games, he should. Screw Doc Roc.

Hence the word IF in my sentence.
Never hurts to rehab and see what happens, as you can always outright him if there are no nibbles; excuse me, if I’m skeptical of your GMing abilities after harping to trade Larnach or Lewis before the season started Or you wanting to bench Gio after his slow start- we currently have the 4th best team ERA BTW - this of course doesn’t mean that we don’t need another starter, we do, but now we have many more pieces which can be considered in a trade then before the season started, such as: Gil, Gordon, Miranda and a healthy AK, not to mention all the pitching in the minors there that has had another half season to grow and improve.

The hard part about making trades is just like when buying/selling stocks- it’s WHEN to execute the transactions - difference between playing chess and checkers.

Hence the word IF in my sentence.
Never hurts to rehab and see what happens, as you can always outright him if there are no nibbles; excuse me, if I’m skeptical of your GMing abilities after harping to trade Larnach or Lewis before the season started OT yo bench Gio after his slow start- we currently have the 4th best team ERA - this of course doesn’t mean that we don’t need another starter, we do, but now we have many more pieces which can be considered in a trade; sulcus as: Gil, Gordon, Miranda and a healthy AK, not to mention all the pitching in the minors there has had another half season to grow and improve.

The hard part about making trades is just like when buying/selling stocks- it’s WHEN to execute the transactions - difference between playing chess and checkers.
I don't recall advocating trading Lewis or Larnach...

If you can get anything for Sano, great. I'm just doubtful. It might be worth giving him a week of AB's if he shows anything in the minors.

AK might make a good trade chip if they call him up and he stays hot. I would never advocate trading him but his wrist seems like a chronic issue.

I don't recall advocating trading Lewis or Larnach...
We'll agree to disagree

If you can get anything for Sano, great. I'm just doubtful. It might be worth giving him a week of AB's if he shows anything in the minors.
I don't think he needs to be "showcased' in the majors- teams can see if he's healthy at Triple A and the same medical reports can be provided - Sano is what he is at this point.

Improbable to trade him, yes. Impossible, no?
I still cannot believe the Yanks took Donaldson's contract and we got Gio and Sanchez.
Sano might have value for a team with a crappy DH and figures Sano is worth a flyer, in case he needed a change of scenery to get his groove back.

AK might make a good trade chip if they call him up and he stays hot. I would never advocate trading him but his wrist seems like a chronic issue.
I don't think he needs to be called up, as he already showed he could hit last year in the majors before he got hurt, and teams trade all the time for prospects who aren't currently in the majors. The front office needs to not only look at the here and now, but the future as well, they may think Miranda is a better option long-term at first or Arraez until an infield spot opens for him - Larnach is a much better outfielder than AK and has an higher ceiling IMO.

We have plenty of chips to go get a frontline starter, like Montas, and have a formidable rotation of Ryan, Gray, Smelter/Ober and the pitcher we trade for. Yes, the Yanks, are the prohibitive favorite, but most of the time you need to get into the playoffs and make some noise, before winning the big prize - it's a process.

Last edited:

Sands, Archer, Bundy apparently are our 3 starters for this series. Might as well just forfeit. If there's anyway Joe Ryan can start one of these 3 games, he should. Screw Doc Roc.

Just like we should have forfeited the Toronto series because we had no chance...

Just like we should have forfeited the Toronto series because we had no chance...
We don't have 20 years of wetting ourselves against Toronto on top of everything else. Also, the pitchers we're lined up to face pretty much rule out winning any games 9-7.

We don't have 20 years of wetting ourselves against Toronto on top of everything else. Also, the pitchers we're lined up to face pretty much rule out winning any games 9-7.

The last 20 years has nothing to do with the next 3 games. And didn't we just beat the Jays best pitcher with a lineup worse than we'll likely see the next three days? Gausman had a lower ERA coming into that game than Cole does and we scored 8.

Ober to the 15 Day IL with a groin strain - recurrence of his previous stint.

Last edited:

FWIW -
I'm gonna say your source is wrong (the tweet from Meg Ryan -included in the post I’m responding to) - still nothing on the MLB which lists Sands as the starter, let alone has been recalled from St. Paul.

If this is a bullpen game with an opener, as it appears to be, then I'd give the ball to Moran and see what he can do over 2/3 innings against the Yanks - Jax for the middle three and then go from there - if we have the lead. Moran is part of our future, so let's ride with him and see what he can do as a starter

The beat writer for the Twins on the MLB app (highly recommend it) said they're looking for Ryan to have at a minimum another bullpen session or a rehab start - he is an All-Star level pitcher, no sense in rushing him when he's not ready - don't' want to be a penny wise and a pound foolish.

RE: Roccoc - I highly doubt that he makes unilateral decisions moves regarding players on the IL - this ain't Earl Weaver at the helm. I'm sure that they all put their heads together: player, trainer, front office and Rocco and map out a plan. He's not the best manager in baseball, butt not the worst either and his track record has been impressive so far (2 AL Central Crowns/Mgr. of the year) and most people get better in their jobs with experience

All I want to do is split the next 6 with the Yanks & Rays and then we'll be much healthier moving forward.

I'm ecstatic that we're in first, have a deep bench and a farm system that look healthy and productive (see MLb's take in the link below) -

I love your passion for sports bro, however, sometimes the reality is this -

1654608239026.png

Last edited:

I wouldn't be surprised if we see #9 prospect, Spencer Steer, up with the Twins if there's more injuries in the infield. 3rd rounder in 2019 out of Oregon has looked really good the past two seasons. Hit 24 HRs last year at A+ and AA. Has 14 so far this year at AA & AAA. Just had 3 homeruns on Sunday for the Saints. He's played a bunch at 3B, SS and 2B this year.

What's the over/under Yankee HR's hit this series?

One thing to watch will be the attendance.

Twins are currently 22nd in MLB attendance with an average crowd of 18,609.

the opener was - I believe - the only game this year with a crowd of more than 30,000. They've had a couple of crowds in the 25,000 to 27,000 range.

granted the weather was lousy for the start of the season, and "the kids are still in school."

well, school is out and it's warming up.

let's see how many people show up to see the Yankees.

if they don't get at least one crowd close to 30,000 for this series, that is not a good omen for the rest of the season.

Top Bottom