All Things 2022 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

help is on the way. Randy Dobnak has started his minor-league rehab with a scoreless inning for the FCL Twins.

it certainly looks like the Twins think they're not re-signing Fullmer, because he's apparently going to throw every game. they're going to get their money's worth out of him.

Nick Gordon is hitting .342 and .895 OPS in August (coming into today). He's improved his numbers every month.

Amazing how far he has come! Considering all his injuries and his abilities being doubted.

If this continues, maybe he play himself into consideration to replace Kepler ( Max had a nice run here and I thought he might be abl to parlay going to left into a .260+ avg, but that ship has apparently sailed).

Trade him for more pitching. You could have these four compete for the 2 spots - Larnach, Nick, Ak and Wallner and hope that 2 can do it and stay reasonably heathy.
I think Kep could be a fit for a good offensive team that needs to shore up their D and can live with his limited so skills.
iIRC he also has a team friendly contact for a few more years.
If we could get a good veteran corner OF with a legit stick, I’m open to that also.

Last edited:

help is on the way. Randy Dobnak has started his minor-league rehab with a scoreless inning for the FCL Twins.

it certainly looks like the Twins think they're not re-signing Fullmer, because he's apparently going to throw every game. they're going to get their money's worth out of him.
Doogie on SKOR reported that there is now decent chance that Maeda could provide some bullpen help when rosters are expanded to 28 in September.

Going to 40 is no longer a thing with this most recent Labor Agreement, which I think is good.

Doogie on SKOR reported that there is now decent chance that Maeda could provide some bullpen help when rosters are expanded to 28 in September.

Going to 40 is no longer a thing with this most recent Labor Agreement, which I think is good.
Has he been thrown a pitch from the mound yet?

That would make the most sense if he were to return this season.

I am all for Maeda coming back if he’s healthy and if they intend to use him. My problem comes when they promote people and then don’t use them in the correct roles Cole Sands has been for the better part of two weeks and he’s pitched 3 times with two of the times being 1 inning. I know they are different pitchers and Maeda is better but I would love to see them set up a formal piggy back situation. Spread out Bundy and Archer so they don’t go back to back and then tie Maeda with one and Sands with the other. If everyone knows the situation going into the game it could be a good strategy to help cover this time. Not sure Bundy will love it but he’s not gonna be on the team next year anyways.

If not doing something like that I don’t see the need for Maeda to be on the roster and put into difficult spots throwing 90 and coming off Tommy John surgery. It would be one thing is he misses bats, but that’s not his strength. They would be better with a hard throwing guy that goes one inning and truely let Maeda recover cause they will need him next year.

J-Rod is the prohibitive fave per three sites I looked at- as in -600 type of fav. I just looked him up and saw he’s 6’3 228 lbs- that’s insane with his speed.

Miranda and Ryan have punter’s chances; Miranda was an other mention on all those sites and Ryan was a long shot in one. Ryan didn’t pitch enough last year to lose his rookie status and was in the Top 100 prospect list at the beginning of the season. Duran wasn’t mentioned on any site.

I think Miranda and Ryan have said Punter’s chance, IF the Twins make the playoffs and the Mariners don’t and J Rod would need to slump and Miranda needs to hit .300 or close to with over 20 dongs and Ryan needs to lead AL rookies in Ws and some other pitching categories and notch several more wins down the stretch. Possible yes, probable no and even if all the aforementioned happened, JRod was an All-Star this year and Witt Jr. is baseball royalty as his dad was A very good player in his day and well liked IIRC.

i
What % chance is a "punter's chance"?

I am all for Maeda coming back if he’s healthy and if they intend to use him. My problem comes when they promote people and then don’t use them in the correct roles Cole Sands has been for the better part of two weeks and he’s pitched 3 times with two of the times being 1 inning. I know they are different pitchers and Maeda is better but I would love to see them set up a formal piggy back situation. Spread out Bundy and Archer so they don’t go back to back and then tie Maeda with one and Sands with the other. If everyone knows the situation going into the game it could be a good strategy to help cover this time. Not sure Bundy will love it but he’s not gonna be on the team next year anyways.

If not doing something like that I don’t see the need for Maeda to be on the roster and put into difficult spots throwing 90 and coming off Tommy John surgery. It would be one thing is he misses bats, but that’s not his strength. They would be better with a hard throwing guy that goes one inning and truely let Maeda recover cause they will need him next year.
I am in favor of putting Sands into the rotation and Archer to the pen. But now we will probably need Sands to make at least one start in place of Mahle.

As they should.

Reported during the Twin's radio broadcast, "shoulder fatigue".
Since he already had this issue earlier with the Reds, hopefully that's really all it is. How this team manages to always trade for injured pitchers is beyond me.

At the very least make sure to have a guy like Sands available to pitch after Archer and/or Bundy. But if Archer goes 5, it's a close game and the bullpen is well rested, then you can choose to get to your better pitchers.

I am in favor of putting Sands into the rotation and Archer to the pen. But now we will probably need Sands to make at least one start in place of Mahle.
I have to wonder if SWR moving to Triple-A is partly due to the Mahle situation. If he ends up being out for awhile, they may give him a chance longer term over Sands.

I have to wonder if SWR moving to Triple-A is partly due to the Mahle situation. If he ends up being out for awhile, they may give him a chance longer term over Sands.
I think Varland would get a chance first. And hopefully Ober/Winder are available soon.

Nice column by Chip Scoggins in advance of Dan Gladden going into the Twins HoF.

"What made him such a great teammate?" Hrbek says, repeating the question. "He liked beating the other team."

Great read. Every great team, regardless of the sport, needs a Dan Gladden.

Win Twins!!

At the very least make sure to have a guy like Sands available to pitch after Archer and/or Bundy. But if Archer goes 5, it's a close game and the bullpen is well rested, then you can choose to get to your better pitchers.
That and please don’t make them go back to backs split then you a couple of days so the “good” pitchers can hopefully provide bullpen relief and then you have a full bullpen for the Bundy and Archer starts.

Anyway good sweep of KC and now go sweep the rangers.

Top Bottom