All Things 2022 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

Reminder that the wolves play tonight at 8:00 on NBATV.

Check out WMJ and Minott.

Reminder that the wolves play tonight at 8:00 on NBATV.

Check out WMJ and Minott.

Good reminder. Here's their roster:

Position:
Terrell Brown Jr.Guard
Brian Bowen IIForward
Deonte BurtonGuard
George CondittForward
Melvin Frazier Jr.Forward
Kevon HarrisGuard
Matt LewisGuard
David McCormackForward
Josh MinottForward
Wendell Moore Jr.Forward
Marial ShayokGuard
Matteo SpagnoloGuard
Phillip WheelerForward
Kahlil WhitneyForward
Position:
Terrell Brown Jr.Guard
Brian Bowen IIForward
Deonte BurtonGuard
George CondittForward
Melvin Frazier Jr.Forward
Kevon HarrisGuard
Matt LewisGuard
David McCormackForward
Josh MinottForward
Wendell Moore Jr.Forward
Marial ShayokGuard
Matteo SpagnoloGuard
Phillip WheelerForward
Kahlil WhitneyForward

Last edited:

Why? Do you think we matched up better with them with Vandy on the court rather than Gobert? Gobert is a generational talent on defense. Vandy might be marginally better than Towns at chasing around small 4s but Gobert is such a drastic difference in the paint. that it completely offsets whatever minimal amount lost with Vandy's defense.

Oh, they also added the best defensive small ball 4 in free agency in SlowMo. I get the concerns about Gobert's age and to a lesser extent the draft picks but arguments that we added the best defensive player in the league (by a wide margin) and we somehow got worse on defense seems like a stretch to me.

A reminder of how good of a defender Gobert is:

View attachment 19252
Im worried about playoff time when teams make a concerted effort to find the match ups they like. Wolves will be fine in regular season. 50 wins or so. Its the playoffs where i think this trade isnt going to do as much good as they think

Im worried about playoff time when teams make a concerted effort to find the match ups they like. Wolves will be fine in regular season. 50 wins or so. Its the playoffs where i think this trade isnt going to do as much good as they think

If they just make it to the second round it'll be the 2nd best best performance in team history.

If they do get 50+ wins in the regular season, don't think anybody outside of Golden State or maybe Phoenix, can keep them out of the Western Conference Finals.

As with all of this, we'll see.

If they just make it to the second round it'll be the 2nd best best performance in team history.

If they do get 50+ wins in the regular season, don't think anybody outside of Golden State or maybe Phoenix, can keep them out of the Western Conference Finals.

As with all of this, we'll see.
I'm excited and I hope I'm wrong about the playoffs. Best case scenerio for Wolves before this was relying on Edwards and McDaniels to become all star caliber, which would have taken 2 to 3 more seasons. For the impatient, this is a good trade and will make next year a lot more entertaining than the status quo

He averages 16 a game.
Mostly on dunks. Forgot the % but it was high. Can't shoot (and doesn't) from the outside so Finch will have to adjust the offense a lot.

Right now the Wolves don't run an offensive set. That must change. Im all for that since D-Lo is better suited for that anyways imo.

The offense did well until the 4th qtrs when teams buckled down on defense. That caught up to them in the playoffs. Hopefully Finch and co. are already working on finding ways to get Rudy lots of dunks.

I'm excited and I hope I'm wrong about the playoffs. Best case scenerio for Wolves before this was relying on Edwards and McDaniels to become all star caliber, which would have taken 2 to 3 more seasons. For the impatient, this is a good trade and will make next year a lot more entertaining than the status quo
Expecting McDaniels to make the jump from bench player to all star caliber isn't going to happen next season. Id be happy if he can lock down the starting job.

Mostly on dunks. Forgot the % but it was high. Can't shoot (and doesn't) from the outside so Finch will have to adjust the offense a lot.

Right now the Wolves don't run an offensive set. That must change. Im all for that since D-Lo is better suited for that anyways imo.

The offense did well until the 4th qtrs when teams buckled down on defense. That caught up to them in the playoffs. Hopefully Finch and co. are already working on finding ways to get Rudy lots of dunks.
Well yes, but Edwards, towns, and DLO can shoot. At least that is what they are counting on. And McDaniels should get better, also.

Gobert excels in the pick-n-roll........DLO will be better based on that and will be able to get more shots.

Scoring will not be a problem for us.

Vando was on the court for us and never guarded and we scored pretty much no problem. The end of games were bad in the playoffs, but that was more experience.

Expecting McDaniels to make the jump from bench player to all star caliber isn't going to happen next season. Id be happy if he can lock down the starting job.
We have 3 starters already that are all-star caliber.

I have no worries about the starters. I wonder deeply about our bench.

Obviously it’s just summer league, but Minott had himself a great game. Could be a steal if he continues to develop his 3 point shot.

Last edited:

Hard to know if Minott is just a Summer League Wonder or an NBA player. What is obvious is that he is crazy athletic. It will take a lot more than that to become an NBA player, but the crazy athletic ability is a helluva start.

Draymond Green chimes in:

"What this trade says to me is that they believe that they have a superstar in Anthony Edwards," Green said. "You think about the NBA. What championships used to be was having a great guard and a great big. And that says to me that they believe that [Edwards] can carry the torch."

"KAT's been there," Green explained. "They weren't trading the No. 1 overall pick [when they drafted Edwards.] They weren't trading picks anytime before that or really after. But they're in win-now mode because I think Minnesota thinks they have a superstar in Anthony Edwards. And by the way, I believe they do."

"The thing I love about [Edwards] is, he's got the game," Green said. "He talks it. He walks it. He's got the personality. He's got what it takes to be one of those guys and Minnesota sees that. They're going all-in on that and I think it's a beautiful thing."

Howl Wolves!!

"What this trade says to me is that they believe that they have a superstar in Anthony Edwards," Green said. "You think about the NBA. What championships used to be was having a great guard and a great big. And that says to me that they believe that [Edwards] can carry the torch."

"KAT's been there," Green explained. "They weren't trading the No. 1 overall pick [when they drafted Edwards.] They weren't trading picks anytime before that or really after. But they're in win-now mode because I think Minnesota thinks they have a superstar in Anthony Edwards. And by the way, I believe they do."

"The thing I love about [Edwards] is, he's got the game," Green said. "He talks it. He walks it. He's got the personality. He's got what it takes to be one of those guys and Minnesota sees that. They're going all-in on that and I think it's a beautiful thing."

Howl Wolves!!
I saw the video and my first thought was "that's pretty cool." Then it occurred to me that Green never said why he thought the trade was all about Ant. His comments about trading or not trading draft picks didn't really make any sense. There wasn't any connective analysis.

The media gives Green a kind of gravitas that he doesn't deserve. If you are interested in NBA or former NBA player insights, Matt Barnes and JJ Reddick have much better pods.

Howl Wolves!!

If not now, then when?
They’ll always be reasons to not make the trade or hold on to the prospects, but you wanna make a difference (win big) than be different!

I think this is a fair point but I really liked the message coming out of the Timberwolves FO (it sounds insane to say such a thing). They essentially are saying "we can't out small ball the Warriors" so we're going to build as good of a team as possible and give it our best shot.

If this team is 50+ wins and locked up for 3-4 seasons, I think the trade was an absolute success. We get our proverbial roles of the dice and if things fall our way, we have a shot. Essentially, if Edwards becomes a top 10 player in the league, this team is really tough to beat.

I saw the video and my first thought was "that's pretty cool." Then it occurred to me that Green never said why he thought the trade was all about Ant. His comments about trading or not trading draft picks didn't really make any sense. There wasn't any connective analysis.

The media gives Green a kind of gravitas that he doesn't deserve. If you are interested in NBA or former NBA player insights, Matt Barnes and JJ Reddick have much better pods.
I think it's saying that our chance to win an NBA championship will likely be determined by Anthony Edwards. He has the pieces around him that help his game and it'll kind of come down to this (IMO):

(1) If Anthony Edwards becomes a top 10 player in the league, we are championship contenders.
(2) If Ant improves but is still a borderline all star/top 30 player in the league, we're good but probably not contenders.

I think the deal is essentially pushing our chips in on Ant. That might only be a 1/4 chance of happening, but for a franchise like the Wolves, a 25% chance of being a legitimate contender is worth it.

The Athletic: Courtside with D-Lo: D’Angelo Russell on his future, Rudy Gobert and the Wolves’ new expectations

The inconsistency has been frustrating. There have been duds in the playoffs, injuries that have slowed him and booms and busts as a shooter that have made it difficult to rely on him. But the Wolves do need him, and he will enter next season as one of the most important players on the roster. McLaughlin is the only other point guard on the roster, and as inspiring as it has been to watch the undersized jitterbug knife through opposing defenses and jumpstart the Wolves when they are sluggish, he is viewed as a player best used in a second-unit role.

They need him to orchestrate the offense, keep Edwards, Towns and Gobert fed and be mindful when he calls his own number. That is no small task, but there is not another player on the roster capable of handling that load right now. They also need a consistency of focus and production that has not always been there in Minnesota. And make no mistake: he would prefer to get an extension done.

“Hell yeah,” he said when asked if he wants to get a deal done before the season. “Obviously every player wants an extension, and you want to be in a position to do that.”

Russell said his representation has had some dialogue with the Wolves about a new deal but did not delve into specifics of what he wants. With Gobert and Towns on max deals and a max almost certainly looming for Edwards just around the corner, the Timberwolves’ cap sheet is going to bulge very soon. Perhaps there is a compromise deal out there for the Wolves and Russell, one that gives him some long-term security but also avoids the Wolves descending too far into luxury-tax hell. Or maybe they decide to let it roll this season, see how Russell performs on a team with big expectations and address it when the season is over.

There are risks on both fronts. If they do sign him to a lucrative extension, even one that is not max level, and he struggles with injuries or has a hard time fitting into the role of facilitator and scorer that can be so delicate to balance, it could be harmful to the Wolves’ ability to build around Edwards, Towns and Gobert.

If they do not sign him and, just as he did in an All-Star season in his contract year in Brooklyn in 2018-19, he plays exceedingly well on a team that wins a lot of games and makes some noise in the playoffs, he could price himself right out of Minnesota. As of now, more teams are projected to have cap space next summer, and the market for point guards is a little thin, with Russell, Kyrie Irving and Reggie Jackson a few notable names who could be available.

Howl Wolves!!

That seems like a lot of wings for a 15 man roster.

Rivers is a solid rotational wing, of which the Wolves now have many. In a League dominated by wings, Timberwolves coach Chris Finch has a fully-stocked arsenal of D’Angelo Russell, Jordan McLaughlin, Forbes, Rivers, Nowell, Edwards, Taurean Prince, Jaden McDaniels, Kyle Anderson and Wendell Moore.

That type of depth will pay off throughout a grueling regular season and give Finch plenty of different options and combinations to play with come the postseason..

That seems like a lot of wings for a 15 man roster.

Rivers is a solid rotational wing, of which the Wolves now have many. In a League dominated by wings, Timberwolves coach Chris Finch has a fully-stocked arsenal of D’Angelo Russell, Jordan McLaughlin, Forbes, Rivers, Nowell, Edwards, Taurean Prince, Jaden McDaniels, Kyle Anderson and Wendell Moore.

That type of depth will pay off throughout a grueling regular season and give Finch plenty of different options and combinations to play with come the postseason..

I was hoping for Bledsoe or Boogie Cousins.

Rivers plays hard. Thats about all I can positively about him

Rivers sucks. Is he getting garbage time?
Completely agree. He has always thought that he is way better than he is.

I think it also means Minott isn't getting a roster spot. Even as a raw rookie, Minott's defense and rebounding when he plays would mean more to the team than Rivers' putting up numbers every fifth game.

Completely agree. He has always thought that he is way better than he is.

I think it also means Minott isn't getting a roster spot. Even as a raw rookie, Minott's defense and rebounding when he plays would mean more to the team than Rivers' putting up numbers every fifth game.
Minott is in the minors all season.

Austin Rivers knows how to endear himself to the Minnesota fan base...reference a movie we have provincial pride in, thus giving a "one of us" mentality. If he throws in a Grumpy Old Men reference then we will begin to build the statue.

Howl Wolves!!

Presumably, Connelly and Finch have a blueprint for the type of team they want, and the type of players they need to make that blueprint a reality.

Rivers, from what I have read, is considered a decent defensive player. The Wolves have guys who can score, so having a guy who can play a little defense is OK with me.

and let's face it. This is a "fill-out-the-roster" move. It's like signing Jake Layman. you're not counting on him to carry the team.

REVENUE

The NBA is coming off a massive financial year, with revenue topping $10 billion for the first time and basketball-related income reaching $8.9 billion, another record.

Silver said the numbers are particularly strong considering the league is still dealing with a pandemic, and it wasn't that long ago when some questioned whether sports could survive the virus -- at least in the sense of whether people would want to gather again.

"The numbers did surprise me to a certain degree because it exceeded projections, and the projections represent where we think our business is going," Silver said. "I think it's quite remarkable from where we came 2½ years ago."

KEVIN DURANT

Kevin Durant is under contract for four more years with the Brooklyn Nets, and his trade request has been one of the biggest stories of the offseason.

It hasn't been one that Silver has particularly enjoyed.

"This needs to be a two-way street," Silver said. "Teams provide enormous security and guarantees to players, and the expectation in return is that they'll meet their end of the bargain. There's always conversations that go on behind closed doors between players and representatives and teams, but we don't like to see players requesting trades, and we don't like to see it playing out the way it is."

Top Bottom