All Things 2022 Minnesota Timberwolves Off-Season Thread

I'm not re-upping to go to Mystic Lake. I am barely hanging on to my tickets and I live eight minutes from the current location.
Again. Long shot. Though Shakopee would be a closer drive than Seattle or Las Vegas to see Timberwolves home games.

Who knows what ideas Lore & ARod envision in the future, which could also be delusions of grandeur.

Again. Long shot. Though Shakopee would be a closer drive than Seattle or Las Vegas to see Timberwolves home games.

Who knows what ideas Lore & ARod envision in the future, which could also be delusions of grandeur.
Making the trip to Vegas would be more exciting for sure. I don't think we will be moving states or arenas anytime soon. The stadium just got a decent facelift and is good enough for years to come. At least that is my 2cents right now.

Making the trip to Vegas would be more exciting for sure. I don't think we will be moving states or arenas anytime soon. The stadium just got a decent facelift and is good enough for years to come. At least that is my 2cents right now.
It's still one of the worst arenas in the NBA. 2nd oldest too, behind MSG which had a $1 Billion renovation. That's the type of dough it would take to fix Target Center, which seems like it would be better spent on a new arena or a knock-down/rebuild.

The buyout from the lease is only $50 Million which is really minor when considering how much is being spent on the franchise. They won't be playing there (in the same facility) by the end of the decade for sure, perhaps even a few years earlier.

Target Ctr is econically obsolete. The facelift didn’t change that. Too few lower bowl seats and too few suites.

Target Center is a dump, but not one cent of taxpayer money should be spent to build anything new.

Target Center is a dump, but not one cent of taxpayer money should be spent to build anything new.
Which is another reason why the Mystic Lake possibility (which is nothing more than wild speculation, I admit fully) can not be totally dismissed.

It sure feels like Lore and A-Rod are just using Glen Taylor to get the NBA ownership experience.

Target Ctr is econically obsolete. The facelift didn’t change that. Too few lower bowl seats and too few suites.
I just don't think there is much of a chance to tear down and rebuild so soon after a facelift. I think that could take years to happen.

I just don't think there is much of a chance to tear down and rebuild so soon after a facelift. I think that could take years to happen.

Indeed. Neither the city of Minneapolis, Hennepin County or the State have the stomach for an additional investment now or in the near future.

per Neal:

Connelly worked with Wolves coach Chris Finch for a year in Denver, and assistant coach Micah Nori also spent time in Denver on Connelly's watch. That's familiarity that helps an organization move forward while maintaining some continuity.

Connelly plans to make additional hires, with former Pelicans GM Dell Demps reportedly on the wish list. This is all part of an organizational buildup that fits ownership's vision.

I think that vision also includes a new arena push, likely after they gain full control of the franchise.

"We want to be first in class in every category," Rodriguez said. "From an arena, to personnel to players, to medical staff, to physical therapy and everything in between. The Minnesota people deserve that. They are starving for a winner and we are going to bring them that."

Howl Wolves!!

The Seattle Timberwolves has a nice ring to it.

The Seattle Timberwolves has a nice ring to it.
It would be a travesty for whatever NBA franchise lands in Seattle (either relocated or via expansion) to not be named the SuperSonics.

I suppose they could keep the exterior of the Target Center in place and just gut the interior - put more seating in the lower section, add more suites, etc.

Or - my "they'll never do it" plan:

build a new arena on the State Fairgrounds. the new arena would be home to the T-Wolves, the Gopher Men's basketball team, and they could hold all of the grandstand shows during the State Fair.

if they can get 19,000 people to the Loons' stadium, they can do the same a few blocks up Snelling.

(this is a take-off on Sid's long-held idea that the Vikings and Gophers football stadium should have been built on the Fairgrounds.)

And, frankly, that should be the end of their work in that department. They landed one of the best in the business to run the Timberwolves’ basketball operations. Connelly will oversee Gupta and head coach Chris Finch, who quickly is establishing himself as one of the game’s premier bench bosses. The pieces are certainly in place for Minnesota to flourish for years to come.

It’s the exact setup that ownership groups across pro sports leagues yearn for. So now it’s time to step back and let them work. Connelly saying he hopes to play a “small” role in the Timberwolves’ success was likely more a result of modesty. It should be a big role. Basketball decisions should end with him.

For so long, Lore has noted his business philosophy includes hiring the best people for key positions, then letting them steer the ship. He says the same will be true here in Minnesota.

“It starts with core values and we really believe, Alex and I both, and Glen as well and Becky (Taylor), in really trust and empowerment. That’s really the starting point,” Lore said. “It’s not trust but verify, it’s just trust. We have full confidence and trust in Tim and he’s going to be empowered to build a first-class, world-class organization. Full stop.”..

For the NBA, the $2,000,000,000 to $2,500,000,000 expansion fee has a much better ring to it. :drink:
Or they can impose a "relocation" fee with lots of zeros after it, yet still enticing for the new Wolves owners to scoot out of town. Then Mpls/St Paul would be in play for the expansion fee, just as Charlotte was.

Or they can impose a "relocation" fee with lots of zeros after it, yet still enticing for the new Wolves owners to scoot out of town. Then Mpls/St Paul would be in play for the expansion fee, just as Charlotte was.

Much different situation. Getting George Shinn out of Charlotte was a big part of that decision for the NBA and Shinn. Wouldn't apply here.

Also think that adding a $2 billion "fee" to the cost of purchasing the Wolves for Lore and A-Rod would take it out of their reach.

We disagree, but it'll probably be a year or two before we find out what'll happen.

Much different situation. Getting George Shinn out of Charlotte was a big part of that decision for the NBA and Shinn. Wouldn't apply here.

Also think that adding a $2 billion "fee" to the cost of purchasing the Wolves for Lore and A-Rod would take it out of their reach.

We disagree, but it'll probably be a year or two before we find out what'll happen.
The more similar situation is probably Seattle. Aging decrepit arena, new owners and they high tailed it to OKC.

The more similar situation is probably Seattle. Aging decrepit arena, new owners and they high tailed it to OKC.

Nice try!

For quite awhile use to say they were gonna head to Seattle myself. Then the NBA Commissioner talked about how they eventually wanted to get to 32 teams and how the expansion fee would be $2,000,000,000 to $2,500,000,000..

Chip: To-do list for new Timberwolves boss Tim Connelly: Keep Karl-Anthony Towns, replace D'Angelo Russell

Signing star Karl-Anthony Towns to a 'supermax' contract is an easy call. Finding a replacement for streaky guard D'Angelo Russell will be a tougher (but necessary) task for Tim Connelly.

The Timberwolves new basketball boss presented a laid-back, unassuming, anti-braggadocious tone at his public introduction by suggesting he hopes to "play a small role" in the operation and that he's coming "here not to mess it up."

Nice guy, that Tim Connelly.

This is his regime now though, his ledger of decisions to be analyzed and critiqued. Connelly is at the controls, steering the Wolves into the future. There's nothing small about his role of president of basketball operations.

Two big-ticket reminders are waiting on his desk when he settles into his new office: Contract decisions on Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell.

The answer to the first one is clear.

By virtue of being named third-team All-NBA, Towns is eligible for a supermax contract extension worth $211 million over four years that would start in 2024. The deal would pay him nearly $60 million in the final season.

That's a large number, but it's also the price of doing business. Compensating star players is expensive and comes with high risk.

Towns is a unique talent coming off his best season and has fostered a close connection with coach Chris Finch. He is a star athlete who professes his love for Minnesota and the organization.
Giving him the supermax is a no-brainer.

Howl Wolves!!

Chip: To-do list for new Timberwolves boss Tim Connelly: Keep Karl-Anthony Towns, replace D'Angelo Russell

Signing star Karl-Anthony Towns to a 'supermax' contract is an easy call. Finding a replacement for streaky guard D'Angelo Russell will be a tougher (but necessary) task for Tim Connelly.

The Timberwolves new basketball boss presented a laid-back, unassuming, anti-braggadocious tone at his public introduction by suggesting he hopes to "play a small role" in the operation and that he's coming "here not to mess it up."

This is his regime now though, his ledger of decisions to be analyzed and critiqued. Connelly is at the controls, steering the Wolves into the future. There's nothing small about his role of president of basketball operations.

Two big-ticket reminders are waiting on his desk when he settles into his new office: Contract decisions on Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell.

By virtue of being named third-team All-NBA, Towns is eligible for a supermax contract extension worth $211 million over four years that would start in 2024. The deal would pay him nearly $60 million in the final season.

That's a large number, but it's also the price of doing business. Compensating star players is expensive and comes with high risk.

Towns is a unique talent coming off his best season and has fostered a close connection with coach Chris Finch. He is a star athlete who professes his love for Minnesota and the organization.

Howl Wolves!!

Russell's situation is more complicated, though the playoff series against Memphis provided some valuable insight.

His "hero ball" shot at the end of Game 5 showed a complete lack of situational awareness. Three days later in crunch time of the elimination game, Finch benched Russell in favor of backup Jordan McLaughlin because the $30 million point guard could not be trusted late in the fourth quarter.

That's a serious problem that cannot be minimized as the team weighs whether to trade Russell or re-sign him as he approaches the final season on his contract.

Russell had a good season that saw him play terrific ball at times. But his streaky nature and playoff disappearance make it hard to justify committing to him long-term at big money.

Connelly should explore a trade this offseason with the understanding that, as frustrating as Russell's playoff performance was, the Wolves would need to find a legitimate alternative at point guard. McLaughlin is a quality backup, not a full-time starter..

Another number that underscores the discussion about that $2-2.5 expansion fee. It's presently the "cost of doing business" in the NBA.

Nike founder Phil Knight and Los Angeles Dodgers part-owner Alan Smolinisky have delivered a written offer of more than $2 billion to purchase Portland Trail Blazers and are in serious talks to acquire the team, sources told ESPN on Thursday.

Knight and Smolinisky have been engaged in discussions with the Paul Allen Trust that's overseeing the franchise and those talks are planned to continue, sources said..

Another small market team, the Minnesota Timberwolves, recently sold for a valuation of $1.6 billion..

Russell's situation is more complicated, though the playoff series against Memphis provided some valuable insight.

His "hero ball" shot at the end of Game 5 showed a complete lack of situational awareness. Three days later in crunch time of the elimination game, Finch benched Russell in favor of backup Jordan McLaughlin because the $30 million point guard could not be trusted late in the fourth quarter.

That's a serious problem that cannot be minimized as the team weighs whether to trade Russell or re-sign him as he approaches the final season on his contract.

Russell had a good season that saw him play terrific ball at times. But his streaky nature and playoff disappearance make it hard to justify committing to him long-term at big money.

Connelly should explore a trade this offseason with the understanding that, as frustrating as Russell's playoff performance was, the Wolves would need to find a legitimate alternative at point guard. McLaughlin is a quality backup, not a full-time starter..
DLO is going to get traded at the deadline.

I would be shocked if any franchise would want him for more than just an expiring contract

Howl Wolves!!

This was Towns best season? The numbers suggest it was about his 3rd or 4th best season. Now he's opting for stem cell treatment over offseason surgeries to repair multiple injuries after he spent a significant amount of time on the bench due to injuries the last two seasons.

But it's a no brainer to pay him 60 million in a season when he's 33 six years from now? That might be worse than paying Wiggins the max.

Top Bottom