All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

I see Minneota is back to their winning ways. Was nice to see them lose to Mayer Lutheran last year.

I really enjoy reading the discussions about football found here. There were some great games yesterday. It was fun to watch and I looked forward to coming on here and reading about it.

Maple Grove is a great team with phenomenal athletes AND they are incredibly well coached. Rosemount had a great season. Out performed expectations with kids who obviously hate to lose.

In my opinion, you can call out adults. Lombardi and staff out-coached Erdmann and staff. Lombardi had his kids ready to play. Erdmann did not. Why did Erdmann panic and put in the other QB? How did he not have his secondary ready to stay behind MG #12???

You can talk about referees and the MSHSL and the announcers. The review process is hard to understand if you are not going to open it up to other rulings that are game-changing. Also, the media timeouts are too long in my opinion.

The refs did let the game get out of control and that is a process not just one or two plays. It is a process that needs to be found in training and more need to get involved and help change it. BUT DO NOT call out a kid and if you do POST YOUR FULL NAME if you are an adult.

Remember that these are kids.
I edited it to the number, not the name. i can’t say I really agree with you. They say their names on television, and I didn’t rip the kids effort or play, just the behavior.

I will admit I do not follow HS football closely, but everyone that I talk to that does, raves about Kilzer from MG. Is he a bit underrated or just not a good enough passer to get more attention?

MG quarterback is a great player. He runs hard and sees the field fully.

There may be more teams but the level of competition isn't even close. The best 6A team would easily handle a 2A all star squad.
For sure without a doubt. I was not stating the competition level is even close, just that it means more(to them) when a smaller school has success because overall it doesn't happen as often, obviously there are some teams that dominate year in, year out. .

I will admit I do not follow HS football closely, but everyone that I talk to that does, raves about Kilzer from MG. Is he a bit underrated or just not a good enough passer to get more attention?
I have seen a ton of Maple Gove games this season. Personal opinion is that Kilzer is the most under recruited player in the state. Tough kid, tremendous athlete, and wins games.

It was embarrassing to watch. I understand it's hard to take when you haven't lost all season but that? I feel the coaches are partly to blame. These are still kids that should be led to handle things better. They preach the Irish Way in all sports at Rosemount. That was not the Irish Way to say the least.
If you know anything about the rosemount program that’s exactly the Irish way.
Everyone is out to get them according to them

Blame the refs,
Blame other programs for their problems

At least historically. That’s how it’s been

For sure without a doubt. I was not stating the competition level is even close, just that it means more(to them) when a smaller school has success because overall it doesn't happen as often, obviously there are some teams that dominate year in, year out. .
Your logic is off. The opportunities for each team to win are dependent upon the level of parity, not the number of teams. For example, the NFL has 32 teams, but FBS has ~130. However, realistically, maybe 10 teams or so have a nonzero chance to win the FBS national championship each year. If your goal is to win a championship in, say, a 10-year window, would you rather be the 15th-best FBS team or the 30th-best NFL team? Using your logic, you'd say the college team because it's a set of 15 instead of a set of 30. This is just a snapshot in time, of course, but using the NFL.com power rankings, the 30th-best NFL team is the Rams, who won the Super Bowl LAST YEAR. On SP+, the 15th-best college team is UCLA, who last won a national title in 1954. I know which team I'd rather be.

Anybody else have someone, claiming to be Kurt Bills, in your dm's trying to get your name because you said his kid took a cheap shot?

Yes, he wanted to “meet me somewhere to talk”. I also deleted my comment, but honestly don’t feel it was over the line.
What was your comment?
That the kid was a cheap shot artist and then he celebrated on tv and made himself look foolish?

He did. But he is a high schooler. He will grow up someday.

Is there anywhere to watch the game on YouTube or elsewhere? I kind of want to see it now.

Is there anywhere to watch the game on YouTube or elsewhere? I kind of want to see it now.
Don’t get me started on the MSHSL and what they allow in media distribution

Not really much to see. Basically a couple of bad cheap shots by rosemount at the end. But nothing to write home about. Stuff that was properly penalized and makes rosemount look like bad losers. But nothing anyone will remember in a couple of weeks.
Apparently the dad is pretty sore about the insults though lol

Maple Grove's QB doesn't have the classic super strong arm so I see how big schools might not be after him but he seems to do everything else very, very well - I was quite impressed.

Would have liked to see Rosemount handle things a bit better at the end but it's not the first or last time that 17-year olds will have lapses in judgment (guilty of that myself a long time ago).

As others have said this was nothing that hasn't happened hundreds of times on football fields. Couple players lost control of their emotions late in the game and committed stupid penalties.

On the one getting the most attention the whole reason the XP was blocked (leading to the late hit on the kicker) in the first place was because someone from Maple Grove was flagged for taunting after their last TD which moved the kick back 15 yards.

Wow, that was a crazy end to the 3A championship game. What a win to win a state championship for New London-Spicer.

Edit: Here is a video of it
That is one hell of a play, but it shouldn't have counted.
There was illegal motion on #7 as he needed to get set for a second since he was motioning across the formation while the other receiver was running outside to the left.

There was illegal motion on #7 as he needed to get set for a second since he was motioning across the formation while the other receiver was running outside to the left.
Agree

Refs so bad

If you know anything about the rosemount program that’s exactly the Irish way.
Everyone is out to get them according to them

Blame the refs,
Blame other programs for their problems

At least historically. That’s how it’s been
I know some about the head coach but it's all secondhand, so I'll withhold comment.

Also, I do know the Principal at Rosemount. He's actually a former assistant football coach with the team. He's a great guy, very positive and very effective.

Last edited:

That was blatant too. Horrible miss.

Don’t get me started on the MSHSL and what they allow in media distribution

Not really much to see. Basically a couple of bad cheap shots by rosemount at the end. But nothing to write home about. Stuff that was properly penalized and makes rosemount look like bad losers. But nothing anyone will remember in a couple of weeks.
Apparently the dad is pretty sore about the insults though lol
Best TV contract in the country for the member schools.

Unless you consider parents and kids and communities getting coverage of their athletes as part of the “member schools”

One of the worst in the country for media
Only for state tournaments right? They don’t control the regular season.

I really enjoy reading the discussions about football found here. There were some great games yesterday. It was fun to watch and I looked forward to coming on here and reading about it.

Maple Grove is a great team with phenomenal athletes AND they are incredibly well coached. Rosemount had a great season. Out performed expectations with kids who obviously hate to lose.

In my opinion, you can call out adults. Lombardi and staff out-coached Erdmann and staff. Lombardi had his kids ready to play. Erdmann did not. Why did Erdmann panic and put in the other QB? How did he not have his secondary ready to stay behind MG #12???

You can talk about referees and the MSHSL and the announcers. The review process is hard to understand if you are not going to open it up to other rulings that are game-changing. Also, the media timeouts are too long in my opinion.

The refs did let the game get out of control and that is a process not just one or two plays. It is a process that needs to be found in training and more need to get involved and help change it. BUT DO NOT call out a kid and if you do POST YOUR FULL NAME if you are an adult.

Remember that these are kids.
Agree fully. The coaches get paid for what they do (I know, not much). They are the professionals. They are supposed to be educators on and off the field. They are the ones who should ultimately be held accountable. The refs do their best. Sometimes life isn't "fair." Deal with it as adults.

Last edited:

Top Bottom