All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

I meant as in having CR and/or Brainerd actually playing in a 6A district when Totino drops down.
They all are going to have to if the current rumors come to fruition

They already do that every two years
It’s a boondoggle
Not sure they could make a new schedule every year
You could still do it every two years based on cumulative record.
Do it on record alone. The four teams with the worst two year record go down. The four with the best two year record move up.

What do I really want to see happen to 6a this cycle? Drop Hopkins, Roseville, Coon Rapids, Eastview and TG back down. Who do I want to see in 6a?

Hutchinson
Becker
Mankato West(travel Won’t be too terrible putting them with Shakopee, Prior Lake, Lakeville schools)
St. Thomas Academy(don’t they have like 1000 boys)
Elk River

I think you can do a 6a conference with Brainerd, Becker, Hutchinson, STMA, Maple Grove, Elk River, Anoka and Blaine

What do I really want to see happen to 6a this cycle? Drop Hopkins, Roseville, Coon Rapids, Eastview and TG back down. Who do I want to see in 6a?

Hutchinson
Becker
Mankato West(travel Won’t be too terrible putting them with Shakopee, Prior Lake, Lakeville schools)
Elk River

I think you can do a 6a conference with Brainerd, Becker, Hutchinson, STMA, Maple Grove, Elk River, Anoka and Blaine
St. Thomas is the big one. 33 of their last 58 games they have won by 24+ plus. Only one game this year was competitive and they won that one by 14. At some point they're doing a disservice to their own high-end kids with DI aspirations by having them play inferior competition week after week.

St. Thomas is the big one. 33 of their last 58 games they have won by 24+ plus. Only one game this year was competitive and they won that one by 14. At some point they're doing a disservice to their own high-end kids with DI aspirations by having them play inferior competition week after week.
Maybe. But IMO the 5a top 7-8 would all be in the 6a top 15 (if just one of them moved up)

Hutchinson
Becker
Elk River

I don't believe so, it always used to be about 100-110 per grade. I don't think they'd go much larger than that.

Hutchinson
Becker
Elk River

so you are proposing moving class 4A schools (Becker, Hutch) to class 6A? I’m guessing these schools would like to triple their enrollments before they’d consider your idea.

How about Caledonia and Minneota to 6A? 😉

so you are proposing moving class 4A schools (Becker, Hutch) to class 6A? I’m guessing these schools would like to triple their enrollments before they’d consider your idea.

becker enrollment closer to lakeville north than lakeville north is to prior lake.

What is the enrollment cutoff of 5A to 6A?
Looks like it's around 1750, but that's the "adjusted" numbers with the reduced lunch numbers in play. I've had a hard time finding actual enrollment numbers.

Brainerd 1752 (lowest in 6A)
Mayo 1739 (highest in 5A)

Next few down:
Buffalo 1735
Park Center 1669
Moorhead 1668
Armstrong 1661
Mpls Southwest 1624

Here's where the whole 'adjusted numbers' come into play. Park Center and Southwest undoubtedly have much larger enrollment than this shows but are bumped down by the reduced lunch metric.

Buffalo will very likely move up in the next few years. That's a huge school in a geographically large district that is growing.

Last edited:

becker enrollment closer to lakeville north than lakeville north is to prior lake.
So?

Are you suggesting 4A schools should be playing 6A schedules because Prior Lake has a thousand more students than some of its fellow 6A teams?

Also, some of these communities have enrollment ... but it's first generation immigrant families who are working in the meat processing plants. Their kids are in the public school, sure, but they aren't interested in or physically able to play high school football.

A community like Hutch or Becker, on the other hand? Football is religion and probably every red-blooded kid at least gives football a shot in youth. Some don't make it, but some do and move up the system.

STA is 946 students, all males. The girls school Visitstion is 614. Should they combine the enrollments? They would still be 5a at this time. The male population is in line with Forest Lake, Centennial, East Ridge and Woodbury.

That enrollment for classification purposes is doubled.

The MSHL enrollment is not just the number of students enrolled. It's a formula. It's doubled for all boys or all girls schools. It is determined by the schools by all students (or 2X students for all boys schools) 9 – 12 minus 40 percent of their educational benefit. (free and reduced lunch).

There are 620 kids at St. Thomas 6-12.

So?

Are you suggesting 4A schools should be playing 6A schedules because Prior Lake has a thousand more students than some of its fellow 6A teams?
No. I am just saying something that is factually accurate in response to you.

I am saying and have said multiple times “6a schedules” shouldn’t exist

I get that there are historical rivalries and where both schools would want to keep playing regardless, which is fine to make exceptions ..... but why don't they just use the sections as the scheduling mechanism for regular season??

I know not all sections have a full 8 teams, but I'm sure you could do some reasonable thing of combining two sections to fill out a schedule.

STA is 946 students, all males. The girls school Visitstion is 614. Should they combine the enrollments? They would still be 5a at this time. The male population is in line with Forest Lake, Centennial, East Ridge and Woodbury.

A clarification. The MSHSL enrollment number you report is the "gross" up for St Thomas Academy. They take the school population of just boys (actual 9-12 number is 473 boys) and multiple it by 2 (as if they had the same number of girls) to get to the classification number of 946.

STA has been in the 110-130 boys per grade for many many years.

They all are going to have to if the current rumors come to fruition
I think 6A will go to Section play and then keep the Cross Over for playoffs. I think it's the best scenario. Will be interesting to see if they will still go with 32 teams if TG moves down.

Here are the schools in the mix for being bumped up. Not sure what 2022 numbers came in at that they will be using to set the next 2 year cycle.

1666625368727.png

Any reason why they wouldn't go to section scheduling for 6A and back to conference play for the other classes? Is it because some of the predominately 6A conferences have a smattering of 5A schools (Park Center, Irondale, Cretin, Spring Lake Park etc.)

Any reason why they wouldn't go to section scheduling for 6A and back to conference play for the other classes? Is it because some of the predominately 6A conferences have a smattering of 5A schools (Park Center, Irondale, Cretin, Spring Lake Park etc.)

I suspect the MSHSL would see that as "not fair" if you had different criteria for difference classes.

and conference play holds its own challenges. a lot of the old conferences, especially in outstate MN, had teams in different classes. the old Southwest Conference in SW MN at one point had teams in three different classes, so you had 2A schools playing 4A schools (which usually didn't end well).

the district scheduling was essentially a compromise - something in-between conferences and sections.

I still think that going to Section scheduling for everyone is the best idea. not perfect, but better than the alternatives.

They should do section play instead of districts or conferences. Play your section and then be partnered with another section for the balance of non-sections games. If Section 1 and 2 are partnered, don't allow them to be on the same side of the state playoff bracket or seed the state tournament.

8 teams sections would only need one partnered section game.

It's all doable if they put in the effort to make it work.

They should do section play instead of districts or conferences. Play your section and then be partnered with another section for the balance of non-sections games. If Section 1 and 2 are partnered, don't allow them to be on the same side of the state playoff bracket or seed the state tournament.

That really does make the most sense.

I think that Hutchinson and Becker have the football tradition, coaching staffs and numbers to compete in 6a.

I think that Hutchinson and Becker have the football tradition, coaching staffs and numbers to compete in 6a.
For a game or two they for sure do. They’d get run down. Can’t have that. Hopkins and Roseville…those are two programs that can’t get run down…so we should make them play all 9 vs 6a

Go back.to geographically balanced conferences that are mixes of 6A/5A schools and 4A schools again, so schools and kids can play against the kids they grew up playing in Youth sports. That and so the schools can sell tickets, and have real neighboring community rivalries again. Saves on travel cost and expense for the schools, consistency in scheduling. Playing schools across town in playoffs should be unique. This forced parity nonsensical stuff us ruining the game. No reason, for teams to have to travel the hour or more to play weeknight games. This current district scheduling is nonsense.

Maybe the bottom 16, but not the top 16 6A schools.

Here are comparisons of some of the schools

Hutch has 37 JR/SR and 20 SO on Roster (10 Coaches)
Becker 30Jr/Sr, 28So, 4FR (14 Coaches) (For Reference Blaine's 10th grade team destroyed Beckers JV this year)
Mayo largest 5A school has 41 Jr/SR and 10 SO on Roster (10 Coaches)
Lakeville North Smallest Gold Division team has 62 Jr/SR and 18 So on Roster. (24 Coaches)
Hopkins one of worst 6A teams. 30 Jr/Sr, 22So, and 2FR (12 Coaches)
Wayzata Largest School 61 Jr/SR and 26 So (14 Coaches)
Mankato West 5A Power 39 Jr/SR 21 So 5 FR (10 Coaches)

Right.

Seems blatantly obvious.

So clearly then it was an agenda of powers that be to not have it that way, for some reason.

Top Bottom