All Things 2022 Minnesota High School Football Thread

LS does not have the best passing attack of the remaining 6A teams. In fact, I might put them as the worst of the 4 remaining. MG is probably the best followed by EP of the remaining teams from a passing standpoint. MG would have even a stronger passing game had their TE and Gopher commit not been hurt for most of the year.
MG is the only team I haven't seen play this year, so not as familiar with them. Will be fun watching as LS goes for repeat, MG tries to defend the North Metro, Rosemount hasn't won in 40 years, and EP hasn't won in 5 years (Longest stretch since their first title).

MG is the only team I haven't seen play this year, so not as familiar with them. Will be fun watching as LS goes for repeat, MG tries to defend the North Metro, Rosemount hasn't won in 40 years, and EP hasn't won in 5 years (Longest stretch since their first title).
I've seen all four play. I don't think MG's schedule was up to the other three. Having said that, this is an indoor game. Whose OL shows up? Whose Defense shows up? I think the various coaches' game plays for an indoor game and the execution of the game plan against a specific opponent will be most important. For example, EP didn't go to their 3-5-3 when Rosemount started to use their Power T in the first game, staying in their base defense, and Rosemount controlled field position until the 4Q. The game ended 14-7 when an EP pass in the endzone fell incomplete with less than a minute to go.

I've seen all four play. I don't think MG's schedule was up to the other three. Having said that, this is an indoor game. Whose OL shows up? Whose Defense shows up? I think the various coaches' game plays for an indoor game and the execution of the game plan against a specific opponent will be most important. For example, EP didn't go to their 3-5-3 when Rosemount started to use their Power T in the first game, staying in their base defense, and Rosemount controlled field position until the 4Q. The game ended 14-7 when an EP pass in the endzone fell incomplete with less than a minute to go.
You could be correct about MG schedule but on the other hand, they didn’t lose 2 games like EP and LS. Based just on schedule, one would think Rosemount should be the favorite but obviously, at this point, strength of schedule and record means nothing. Big plays usually decide these games as the teams are typically pretty evenly matched. Whoever makes the big play typically wins these games at 6 A. Going back to last year, big plays that MG made against EP in semi’s doomed EP and big plays that LS made against MG doomed MG in the Prep Bowl.

The four 6A semifinal teams remaining won by average of...
50.5 points in the first round (211-9 total)
33 points the second round (181-49 total)
18.25 in the third round quarterfinal (116-43)

Against teams that are .500 or better...
Maple Grove scores 34.2 on average and allows 20.6 on average (13.6 margin)
Lakeville South scores 21.5 on average and allows 12 on average (9.5 margin)
Eden Prairie scores 27.8 on average and allows 14 on average (13.8 margin)
Rosemount scores 26.5 on average and allows 8.7 on average (17.8 margin)

Prior Lake stopped Rosemount's T pretty well the week after playing Lakeville South. I think the more you play against it, the better you are at stopping it. This might be why Rosemount started running it, just so they could practice against it. When Prior's defense stiffened that's when Rosemount went shotgun and put the sophomore in and ran RPO/Chuck-Duck-Run very effectively for three scores. Add that intrigue to the trick plays Eden Prairie will throw in and it is just more reasons why this will be a great game to watch.

Prior Lake stopped Rosemount's T pretty well the week after playing Lakeville South. I think the more you play against it, the better you are at stopping it. This might be why Rosemount started running it, just so they could practice against it. When Prior's defense stiffened that's when Rosemount went shotgun and put the sophomore in and ran RPO/Chuck-Duck-Run very effectively for three scores. Add that intrigue to the trick plays Eden Prairie will throw in and it is just more reasons why this will be a great game to watch.
I think the decision to go to the T formation was more built on personnel then anything else for Rosemount. The presumed starter at QB is a good runner, weak passer and the team has multiple quality RBs on the roster. Makes sense to get as many of them on the field at the same time as possible.

The 10th grade QB showing some flashes of being a solid passer was a nice surprise. Rosemount is able to throw a lot of different looks at opposing defenses and that makes them tough to prepare for and defend.

Coming into the season I never would have guessed that this Rosemount team would be in the final 4. But when you have a defense that holds teams to around 7 points a game you can win a lot of football games.

I think the decision to go to the T formation was more built on personnel then anything else for Rosemount. The presumed starter at QB is a good runner, weak passer and the team has multiple quality RBs on the roster. Makes sense to get as many of them on the field at the same time as possible.

The 10th grade QB showing some flashes of being a solid passer was a nice surprise. Rosemount is able to throw a lot of different looks at opposing defenses and that makes them tough to prepare for and defend.

Coming into the season I never would have guessed that this Rosemount team would be in the final 4. But when you have a defense that holds teams to around 7 points a game you can win a lot of football games.
I think what you are saying about Rosemount is what MG’s offense tough to defend. They can throw a lot of different looks at you and can be very diversified on offense. Their QB has run yards and passing yards that each exceed 1,000 for the season. They will be a tough out in my opinion.

I think what you are saying about Rosemount is what MG’s offense tough to defend. They can throw a lot of different looks at you and can be very diversified on offense. Their QB has run yards and passing yards that each exceed 1,000 for the season. They will be a tough out in my opinion.
Maple Grove is certainly the wild card in all this as the other 3 all faced off against each other during the season.

Funny that the only common opponent that LS and MG have is the dreadful Hopkins team that they both demolished.

Honestly think any of the 4 remaining teams could win it all. No clear cut favorite in the bunch.

I realize that some of you have kids and grandkids on the teams, so please don't take this personally. Just analyzing and I enjoy the conversation. The Lakeville South vs. Maple Grove match up is going to tell us a great deal. I want badly to believe that the top 4 teams are in the semifinal; however, Stillwater beat East Ridge by a much larger margin than Maple Grove did and then Maple Grove took it to Forest Lake way worse than Stillwater did. I am 85% sure that Maple Grove is who we think they are. But then, Maple Grove beat East Ridge by 7 and allowed 17, where EP beat East Ridge by 27 and held them to 7. Maple Grove beat Centennial by 7 and allowed 17, where Rosemount beat Centennial by 27 and shut them out. Maple Grove beat Wayzata by 7 and allowed 21, where Rosemount beat Wayzata by 28 and allowed 14 (with a pick 6).

Fascinating that EP/Lakeville scores against Prior Lake, Stillwater and Shakopee (2nd game for EP) are almost identical. It feels to me that Rosemount, Eden Prairie, and Lakeville South are at a level others have not been able to match (outside of Shakopee #1 for EP - Do they lay an egg again? I doubt it). These teams played in a division where Lakeville North won 1 game and then beat Forest Lake 31-14 and Minnetonka 24-7... but then LOST to Stillwater 42-7!!!

I do wonder who the coaches from each team are hoping comes through the other side? If they win, Maple Grove and Lakeville South have to be hoping for EP to pull it off because the Rosemount defense is one of the best I've seen in a while, and EP and Rosemount I think are secretly cheering for Maple Grove because no one wants to stop a hungry Carson Hanson and company. I CAN"T WAIT!!!

I realize that some of you have kids and grandkids on the teams, so please don't take this personally. Just analyzing and I enjoy the conversation. The Lakeville South vs. Maple Grove match up is going to tell us a great deal. I want badly to believe that the top 4 teams are in the semifinal; however, Stillwater beat East Ridge by a much larger margin than Maple Grove did and then Maple Grove took it to Forest Lake way worse than Stillwater did. I am 85% sure that Maple Grove is who we think they are. But then, Maple Grove beat East Ridge by 7 and allowed 17, where EP beat East Ridge by 27 and held them to 7. Maple Grove beat Centennial by 7 and allowed 17, where Rosemount beat Centennial by 27 and shut them out. Maple Grove beat Wayzata by 7 and allowed 21, where Rosemount beat Wayzata by 28 and allowed 14 (with a pick 6).

Fascinating that EP/Lakeville scores against Prior Lake, Stillwater and Shakopee (2nd game for EP) are almost identical. It feels to me that Rosemount, Eden Prairie, and Lakeville South are at a level others have not been able to match (outside of Shakopee #1 for EP - Do they lay an egg again? I doubt it). These teams played in a division where Lakeville North won 1 game and then beat Forest Lake 31-14 and Minnetonka 24-7... but then LOST to Stillwater 42-7!!!

I do wonder who the coaches from each team are hoping comes through the other side? If they win, Maple Grove and Lakeville South have to be hoping for EP to pull it off because the Rosemount defense is one of the best I've seen in a while, and EP and Rosemount I think are secretly cheering for Maple Grove because no one wants to stop a hungry Carson Hanson and company. I CAN"T WAIT!!!
The “they beat this team by more” is such a useless way to gauge a team or a matchup.

I’ll be at usbank stadium Thursday watching my wifes cousin play for Rocori. Should be fun. Bringing the 2.5 year old. Plenty of space for him to cruise the bleachers.

Examining common opponents has historically been an empirical data point in seeding sports from football (sectionals) to wrestling to basketball to hockey. We don't always have head-to-head competition to rely on so common opponents provide an analysis of comparison. There are always outliers, which you may be referring to; however, longitudinally it has been a solid prognosticator.

Can't speak for the Rosemount coaches but I know I am torn on who I would prefer to see come out of the Maple Grove/Lakeville South game.

For whatever reason, Rosemount plays well against South. Beat them this year, had a reasonably hard fought game last year when Rosemount was not nearly as good as this year. and in 2019 Rosemount was the only team to beat South during the regular season. All that said it feels odd to say you want to see the defending champions advance. :)

Enough analysis GopherHolers. Who will win the 6AAAAAA Semis?

My picks:

EP 21 Rosemount 14
Lakeville South 28 Maple Grove 24

Enough analysis GopherHolers. Who will win the 6AAAAAA Semis?

My picks:

EP 21 Rosemount 14
Lakeville South 28 Maple Grove 24
Not sure about the final scores but:

Rosemount in low scoring slugfest over EP

As for the other game I have no clue who is going to come out on top. Gut says it will be Lakeville South but that is mainly because I have never seen Maple Grove in action.

I do think both games will be close, will be surprised if either matchup gets lopsided. No favorite in the bunch, any of the 4 could win it all.

saw this in the Strib:

Talking about Sam Backer from Chatfield.

A quarterback/running back, he has 7,045 career rushing yards — 458 behind McLeod West's Tyler Evans' state record of 7,503 set from 1999-2001 — with potentially two games remaining.

I saw Tyler Evans play several games. McLeod West (a school district that no longer exists) had a huge offensive line -including a RT who weighed over 350lbs. Evans was a classic power back. In a typical game, he would run the ball 35 to 40 times, mostly on off-tackle plays or end sweeps. He wasn't exceptionally fast, but just wore down defenses.

Lakeville South 34 Maple Grove 24
Rosemount 20 Eden Prairie 17

I am going with:

MG over LS - MG seeking revenge from Prep Bowl loss, most versatile offense of remaining teams.

EP over Rosemount - EP with more playoff experience, tough to beat a team twice in same season

MSHSL HS FB Semi-Finals: for Thurs, Nov 17:

9-Man: Wheaton-Herman-Norcross vs Mt Iron-Buhl -- 10:30am

9-Man: Spring Grove vs Fertile-Beltrami -- 1pm

4A: Simley vs Rocori -- 4pm

6A: Lakeville South vs Maple Grove -- 7pm

MSHSL HS FB Semi-Finals: for Thurs, Nov 17:

9-Man: Wheaton-Herman-Norcross vs Mt Iron-Buhl -- 10:30am

9-Man: Spring Grove vs Fertile-Beltrami -- 1pm

4A: Simley vs Rocori -- 4pm

6A: Lakeville South vs Maple Grove -- 7pm
Are these on local TV by chance? Like channel 45 or whatever it is called now (Fox 9+ ??)

EDIT: nope, of course not. https://www.fox9.com/tv-listings
Judge Judy definitely will get better ratings :rolleyes:

Eden Prairie 17, Rosemount 14
Lakeville South 24, Maple Grove 20

Eden Prairie 27, Lakeville South 17

No free stream. the MSHSL strongly promotes that people pay for the 'officially endorsed' streaming service.

from what I can glean, it's $7 for a Monthly subscription or $25 for a yearly subscription. I looked and did not see any single-game prices.

No free stream. the MSHSL strongly promotes that people pay for the 'officially endorsed' streaming service.

from what I can glean, it's $7 for a Monthly subscription or $25 for a yearly subscription. I looked and did not see any single-game prices.
Yeah, I am a little tempted to drop the $7 to stream the game tonight but not sure that I will. don't see myself tuning in to any other events over the remainder of the month I would have access so it would just be for that one game.

Yeah, I am a little tempted to drop the $7 to stream the game tonight but not sure that I will. don't see myself tuning in to any other events over the remainder of the month I would have access so it would just be for that one game.
I just paid the $6.99 + tax for the month. I'll be watching the AAAA game. Finals will be in person or on 45 so $7.54 or whatever it was to watch a game or two is a good value.

I bought the stream for the Wayzata - STMA playoff game last year. Weather was crappy and I didn't feel like driving to Park Center for it.

The quality is surprisingly good. We streamed it to our 60" TV, and while not NFL quality, it was decent. They even had a play by play guy who did a good job.

Top Bottom