All Things 2022-2023 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

Cohen really, really wanted Correa. If the Mets, Giants and, presumably, the Astros weren't willing to commit long term money to him, the findings in his physical exam can't be minor. Therefore, I'm rescinding my earlier "offer" of $325M over 10 years. :)
One-year minor league deal?

Cohen really, really wanted Correa. If the Mets, Giants and, presumably, the Astros weren't willing to commit long term money to him, the findings in his physical exam can't be minor. Therefore, I'm rescinding my earlier "offer" of $325M over 10 years. :)
This. I have no idea what is showing up that is making these deals fall through. However, the Giants and Mets have more resources to weather a potentially bad contract if he gets bogged down with injuries later. If they aren't willing to sign on the dotted line, there is no way the Twins should. If he wants to sign a shorter term deal here, then fine. But after his complete inability to provide a clutch hit in 2022, I'm not very high on Correa at the price he'll likely get.

This. I have no idea what is showing up that is making these deals fall through. However, the Giants and Mets have more resources to weather a potentially bad contract if he gets bogged down with injuries later. If they aren't willing to sign on the dotted line, there is no way the Twins should. If he wants to sign a shorter term deal here, then fine. But after his complete inability to provide a clutch hit in 2022, I'm not very high on Correa at the price he'll likely get.
I'm OK with him coming back on a 1-2 year deal because there's basically nothing else to spend their $40 million on. So it's Correa or it goes in the Pohlad's bank account.

For 6 years and $180million I am on board.
Read post 615 for the perspective of an Orthopedic Surgeon as to what the likely issue is - it’s how his leg with hold towards the end of a lengthy contract —arthritis is the potential issue.

Last edited:

the issue is the length of the contract.

from what I've read, the concern is that Correa is more likely to have problems as he gets older.

So, it's not an issue for the next, say, 3-5 years. more like an issue that could come up in 7 to 10 years.

Boras wants a big-money, long-term contract. if no one is willing to offer that, it becomes a question of who is willing to offer the most money over a 5 to 7 year time span, while accepting some risk in the later years of the year.

wild speculation here - let's say the Twins offer 6 years at $216 million ($36 million aav). is that a deal Boras would accept - if there are no other offers on the table?

The Twins don’t need Correa. They need another starter who can consistently take them deep into the fourth inning.
They're in on Michael Wacha. Which is exactly what this team needs. :rolleyes:

The Twins don’t need Correa. They need another starter who can consistently take them deep into the fourth inning.
Woah, woah, woah, those are some pretty high and unrealistic expectations there.

sad news. Bill "Soupy" Campbell died - Twins' closer in the mid-70's.
look at his 1976 stats - a season in which he won 17 games and saved 20- as a reliever!

from the Strib - written by Pat Reusse:

Campbell was called up by the Twins at midseason 1973 and then became the anchor of the bullpen in 1974. He pitched 120⅓ innings as a reliever in 1974, and 121 innings in 1975.

Then Gene Mauch became the manager in 1976 and put no limits on his ace reliever. Campbell became the only pitcher in major league history to record 17 wins and at least 17 saves (he had 20) in a season. He pitched in 78 games and an astounding 167⅔ innings. He threw his featured pitch — the screwball as a changeup — so often that his right arm was no longer lined up normally.

Campbell became an early free agent after the 1976 season and signed a lucrative contract with Boston. He had an exceptional first season in Boston, leading the AL with 31 saves in 1977 and finishing fifth in Cy Young Award voting.

He had an arm problem in 1978, as the Red Sox collapsed and blew the pennant to the Yankees. He came back from that and would lead the NL in appearances with 82 for the Chicago Cubs in 1983. He last pitched in the big leagues for the Montreal Expos in 1987.

Top Bottom