All Things 2022-2023 College Basketball Coach Hire/Fire Thread

He did make an NCAA tournament with Fresno State and had a winning conference record in the Mountain West there. And outside of Jerry Tarkanian, that program has been a dumpster fire.
You're right he did make the 1.

Looks like he really dominated at UTEP as well......

You're right he did make the 1.

Looks like he really dominated at UTEP as well......
I'm not saying he's a slam dunk, but who were they getting that was absolutely better? Mark Few? Jay Wright out of retirement? I doubt it.

I'm not saying he's a slam dunk, but who were they getting that was absolutely better? Mark Few? Jay Wright out of retirement? I doubt it.
Come on...Mark Few and Jay Wright are probably 2 of the top 10 coaches all time in college basketball. There are other guys to find.

I just think the optics are bad in this situation if you let him go because of how he took over and the way they finished.

I just don't think taking over a team midseason proves that you can sustain a D1 level program. Beard built the staff and the roster.

Come on...Mark Few and Jay Wright are probably 2 of the top 10 coaches all time in college basketball. There are other guys to find.

I just think the optics are bad in this situation if you let him go because of how he took over and the way they finished.

I just don't think taking over a team midseason proves that you can sustain a D1 level program. Beard built the staff and the roster.
Agreed. Beard is simply a generational talent. Almost anyone is going to be a step down from him. That said, it does feel like they settled. The Longhorns looked alternately scared and shocked down the stretch of that game.

That thought may have just spoiled my weekend. Awful thought and image in my head. Yuk.
Probably would not be the worst idea...not the best, but not the worst.

-Clearly they have good scouting / HS ties in the region
-he played in SD so he most likely still has those connections

In comparison to CBJ, his resume is almost Wooden'esque as he has been part of winning programs.

Probably would not be the worst idea...not the best, but not the worst.

-Clearly they have good scouting / HS ties in the region
-he played in SD so he most likely still has those connections

In comparison to CBJ, his resume is almost Wooden'esque as he has been part of winning programs.
OK. Imagine the Gophers hiring Brad Davison.

May have missed it on here....but just heard on the radio that Dusty May (FAU) was signing a long term extension to stay there. I'm shocked.

Agreed. Just surprised to see that he’s at least staying one more year. I would’ve thought he was out the door. His star will never be brighter.
All his guys can return next year. Maybe he rides it for 1 last run and then the program
Collapses when everyone leaves / graduates

With Chryst and Granato sacked, does not seem unthinkable for a clean sweep on men's revenue sports.
That would be interesting. Gard has hovered for a while over a program that is hanging in there, but is overall on a downward trajectory, which is pretty similar to football, although I think football was on a steeper slope down.

OK. Imagine the Gophers hiring Brad Davison.
This is the right analogy, but it'll be 10 years from now (I suspect he'll end up being a pretty good coach - he's already said that's what he wants to do, though he's still playing in Europe for the time being). Krabbenhoft is just about ready to take over his own mid-major, but he is not the villain to MN like Madsen would be to Cal. It'd be like Stackhouse coaching Duke or Alford at Purdue.

Top Bottom