All Things 2021 NCAA College Basketball March Madness Tournament Thread

The Big Ten was the most overrated conference this season and almost every season.

There's a reason it's been 20 years since a Big Ten team won a natty.

Lots of hype no results.

A good coach should be able to succeed at Minnesota with this weak @ss conference.
My bracket is busted too.

Davison rare guy to complain to the rim when a shot doesn’t go in. Maybe they’ll give him a makeup roll later?

40 come back coaches who deserve a second chance.

So far the tournament is proving what I had a suspicion of all year. The Big 10 is way overrated as a conference. I've watched a lot of Big 12 and SEC hoops this season and thought they were just as good. Honestly it's looking like we were the third best conference.
Big 12 was pretty clearly the best conference.

Baylor plays defense. Wow. Their rotations and recoveries are insane. Everything so contested, even passes are hard to come by.

The Big Ten was the most overrated conference this season and almost every season.

There's a reason it's been 20 years since a Big Ten team won a natty.

Lots of hype no results.

A good coach should be able to succeed at Minnesota with this weak @ss conference.

It's not weak, but ----

1) the conference doesn't often have truly great teams;
2) the conference isn't deep enough to deserve the amount of tournament bids it sometimes gets.

Decision makers rely too much on these team ranking metrics to picking teams and most of those metrics are correlated with each other so they have a way of producing systematic errors. The conference wasn't good enough to get 9 bids like this year or bad enough to get 4 bids like it received a few years ago.

What happened to Reuvers? He's regressed pretty noticeably from last year.

I keep hoping CBS makes this the theme song for the Tournament. Dedicated to Sister Jean, here at the Bottle Rockets with Stuck in Indianapolis

It's not weak, but ----

2) the conference isn't deep enough to deserve the amount of tournament bids it sometimes gets.

Decision makers rely too much on these team ranking metrics to picking teams and most of those metrics are correlated with each other so they have a way of producing systematic errors. The conference wasn't good enough to get 9 bids like this year or bad enough to get 4 bids like it received a few years ago.
Also: TV viewership.

SHHHhhhhhh not supposed to say that one out loud.

It's not weak, but ----

I thought Illinois was a great team but great teams don't get dominated like Illinois did today.

It's not weak, but ----

It was a very even conference this year and the teams that were slightly better seemed to win at the margins. Wisconsin was 10-10 and they usually steal a couple more games because of their style and experience in a normal year. I think things like that made the conference's upper echelon teams look better on paper than they probably are.

I thought Illinois was a great team but great teams don't get dominated like Illinois did today.

Well you can't have your All-American (Ayo) pull a disappearing act when you are playing solid, well coached teams like Loyola. Especially when another one of your starting senior guards (Frazier) has an absolute train wreck of a game.

It's not weak, but ----

Hard to say this year. Michigan looked the part this year prior to Livers going down. The challenge is that in this era, the great teams are 1-3 a year and after that the margins are minuscule between major conference teams and the mid majors that have guys stick around and play team basketball in a system. This isn’t just the B10 who gets victimized by it, but all the power 6 conferences now

Top Bottom