All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Maybe we can trade Cousins for Baker Mayfield and their #1 pick. I would do that, and just hope that Mayfield was hurt this year and that was the issue with his throwing.

We can't find a guy like Matt LaFleur out there somewhere?

I have no idea if they can or can't, just seems like typical Vikings, that GB can just pick up a LaFleur and continue right along doing well.
You'd be hard-pressed to find a consensus of 8-10 anonymous GMs who think LaFleur is some great coach. As has been said, a blind monkey could coach the Packers offense with Rodgers.

For all the hand-wringing and crying about Cousins and his contract hit, I would guess by the time fall camp starts, Cousins will barely be in the top 8 or 10 contracts or so for QB's, which isn't all that far off from where he actually is.

The cap goes up $26M next year. That's a huge amount, massive, and whatever Cousins' salary cap number is by August won't be that outrageous when you look around the league. Good grief, he's PFF's 5th highest rated QB right now, right behind Rodgers.

There's a list of what's wrong with the Vikings right now, arguably Kubiak being at the very top, and Cousins is not very high on that list.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a consensus of 8-10 anonymous GMs who think LaFleur is some great coach. As has been said, a blind monkey could coach the Packers offense with Rodgers.

For all the hand-wringing and crying about Cousins and his contract hit, I would guess by the time fall camp starts, Cousins will barely be in the top 8 or 10 contracts or so for QB's, which isn't all that far off from where he actually is.

The cap goes up $26M next year. That's a huge amount, massive, and whatever Cousins' salary cap number is by August won't be that outrageous when you look around the league. Good grief, he's PFF's 5th highest rated QB right now, right behind Rodgers.

There's a list of what's wrong with the Vikings right now, arguably Kubiak being at the very top, and Cousins is not very high on that list.
You are correct, but how many losing years do we have to endure with Cousins and his big salary? Cousins is not top 5 QB, but he gets paid like one, and he keeps having losing seasons.

What is the solution if they get rid of Cousins? We all saw last night.

What is the solution?

What is the solution?
Tank next year, build the lines via the draft in 2022, sort out the cap problems, draft the QB of the future in 2023.

What is the solution?
Trade Cousins for a younger QB and/or draft picks and start over. We do not have his replacement on the roster.

Trade Cousins for a younger QB and/or draft picks and start over. We do not have his replacement on the roster.
In some ways I agree. Quarterbacks don't grow on trees though. We've been trying to find one since Fran tarkenton, Chicago has been looking forever, as has Detroit.

Its so damn frustrating because it could be forever.

Trade Cousins.

Potential 2022 QB Options. I go down the list in this order since the draft seems pretty barren:

Going all in on 2023:
Russel Wilson
Derek Carr

Low Floor High Ceiling:
Tua Tagavailoa
Marcus Mariota

Cheap Lottery Tickets:
Drew Lock
Jimmy Garappolo
Tyler Huntley

Expensive PR Nightmare:
Deshaun Watson

One/Two Year Caretaker and draft someone in 22 or 23:
Teddy Bridgewater
Colt McCoy
Mitch Trubisky
Taylor Heinicke
Gardner Minshew
Tyrod Taylor
Andy Dalton

Trade Cousins.

Potential 2022 QB Options. I go down the list in this order since the draft seems pretty barren:

Going all in on 2023:
Russel Wilson
Derek Carr

Low Floor High Ceiling:
Tua Tagavailoa
Marcus Mariota

Cheap Lottery Tickets:
Drew Lock
Jimmy Garappolo
Tyler Huntley

Expensive PR Nightmare:
Deshaun Watson

One/Two Year Caretaker and draft someone in 22 or 23:
Teddy Bridgewater
Colt McCoy
Mitch Trubisky
Taylor Heinicke
Gardner Minshew
Tyrod Taylor
Andy Dalton
You've gotta be out of your right mind, at least with everything past Wilson and Carr. Ironically, for most of the season, I would have put Carr and Cousins side by side, very similar QB's as far as flawed, not fanbase favorites, but workable.

Mariota and Tua would be disasters. Tua is 100% not a viable longterm starter in this league. All you have to do is watch the games, they don't trust him to throw the ball more than 3 yards past the line of scrimmage. They did EVERYTHING they could to acquire Watson, and you think the Dolphins are comfortable with Tua?

Lock is terrible, he's had more than enough opportunity to show what he can do. That Denver team/roster is very, very good outside of the QB position. I expect them to make a move for Russell Wilson.

The only option on that list that makes sense is Deshaun Watson. I would absolutely trade for Watson if the price was right. Problem is, the Texans made that price astronomical and they didn't back down. It'll be interesting to see what happens this offseason. I don't expect Houston's price tag to drop one bit; way way too many teams that need a QB, why would you drop the price?

Watson's transgressions are nothing that would deter me from acquiring him if he was available. By all accounts he's a shy guy who doesn't go out much and was trying to get his ass from his massage therapists. Hardly monumental on the list of possible red flags.

Jimmy G doesn't really do anything for you that Cousins doesn't already, and his price tag isn't going to be that much different. There will be competition for him also

I disagree on LaFleur. He's won 13 games in the regular season his first three seasons. That is not easy to do regardless of your QB. Mike McCarthy only won at least 13 in the regular season once with Rodgers. LaFleur learned as an assistant under McVay and Vrabel his two seasons prior to becoming a HC. All three continue to move towards the top as some of the best coaches in the league.

The Vikings need to go young with their next hire. The NFL is becoming more like the college game, and the old school approach isn't working anymore.

You are correct, but how many losing years do we have to endure with Cousins and his big salary? Cousins is not top 5 QB, but he gets paid like one, and he keeps having losing seasons.
Hey, I'm not telling you what I want to happen, just telling you what I think is going to happen.

Look at it from the Wilf's perspective; owners want continuity and stability, a reboot would likely mean a healthy hit at the ticket and concession windows. Turnover of a coaching staff is a costly proposition, especially on a massive level.

Kubiak is a major major liability and was a major reach this year. An unmitigated disaster. That was a catastrophic error on Zim's part, and/or whoever else was involved in making that decision. Zim's biggest failing has been the inability to find some consistency at OC. Stefanski leaving was a big blow, no doubt about it.

The other thing I would imagine not many know exactly is, what is the relationship between the Wilfs and Zim or the Wilfs and Spielman? Makes it a lot harder to shitcan someone when you've had a great working relationship for a number of years.

DO NOT WIN THE GAME AGAINST CHICAGO!

Watson is the best QB available, but he won't have played in a year, and unless there's some sort of group settlement, I have a hard time seeing how all of these legal issues will be cleared up by the start of next season. Unless the price is one first round pick or less, I'm letting someone else take that gamble.

I find Mariota somewhat intriguing. i think he will ironically follow the path of Ryan Tannehill and be good but not great when he gets a 2nd chance. I'm not as high on Tua.

Watson, with his legs, would make this offense almost ridiculous. We do have theilen, cook, JJ, and a healthy Irv Smith back next year.

Is Watson a total clown is my only question.

Watson, with his legs, would make this offense almost ridiculous. We do have theilen, cook, JJ, and a healthy Irv Smith back next year.

Is Watson a total clown is my only question.
They should trade/dump Cook and Theilen.

Cook just doesn't seem like he is worth what he gets paid.

Titans could be AFC #1 seed and Derrick Henry hasn't played since week 8.

The modern NFL: "It's the passing game, stupid!"

with Cousins, it's not just an issue of "Cousins vs QB X."

It's an issue of Cousins with a $45-mill cap hit vs another QB with a $20 or $25-mill cap hit.
Yes, you may lose some production at QB, but you gain $20 or $25 mill in cap room that could be used to fill holes at multiple positions - like OL, CB, etc.

I would be perfectly happy to take a small step back at QB if the pay-off meant a better OL, or better pass coverage.

let's face it - they're not winning with an expensive QB. so how much worse could it get?

But you'd get out of salary cap hell. Neither player is irreplaceable.
Salary cap hell is somewhat irrelevant until you fix your front office, head coaching, and QB issues. They are not going to fix their QB issues this offseason unless they get Wilson or Watson. Any rookie QB this class isn’t likely to be an instant hit- you’d be playing for ‘23, so you wouldn’t need to resolve your cap issues until then.

Salary cap hell is somewhat irrelevant until you fix your front office, head coaching, and QB issues. They are not going to fix their QB issues this offseason unless they get Wilson or Watson. Any rookie QB this class isn’t likely to be an instant hit- you’d be playing for ‘23, so you wouldn’t need to resolve your cap issues until then.
Except you can tank it and clear the way for 2023 in a big way by addressing it now.

I don't think anyone would seriously trade for Cousins.

We need to play him or cut him.

I disagree on LaFleur. He's won 13 games in the regular season his first three seasons. That is not easy to do regardless of your QB. Mike McCarthy only won at least 13 in the regular season once with Rodgers. LaFleur learned as an assistant under McVay and Vrabel his two seasons prior to becoming a HC. All three continue to move towards the top as some of the best coaches in the league.

The Vikings need to go young with their next hire. The NFL is becoming more like the college game, and the old school approach isn't working anymore.

Don't tell Bill Belichick. Or Mike Vrabel.

Viking fans have been hoping for a new GM, a new coaching staff, and a new QB for some time now.

Be careful what you wish for; you just might get your wish.

Viking fans have been hoping for a new GM, a new coaching staff, and a new QB for some time now.

Be careful what you wish for; you just might get your wish.
Yep, without them we would lose our dominating ways.

Top Bottom