All Things 2021 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

Breeland should be benched. Massive waste of money.

Reverse jinx worked!

He got in Zimmer's doghouse somehow. Zim said he would have to play special teams, to earn back his playing time on defense, a couple/few (?) weeks ago. That could've been a quote from camp, as well, don't remember.

EDIT: it was a couple weeks ago: https://vikingsterritory.com/2021/general-news/vikings-cb-cameron-dantzler-has-his-marching-orders

On the Metcalf TD, he burned Peterson, not Breeland. And that might have been more of a zone thing, but not sure. He did quite a nifty route, Peterson tried to jump it, and he quickly went the other way.

But at least you all agree with me now that Breeland is not a starting NFL CB.
Ahhh, Zim's doghouse. If you're a player with less than 4 years experience, expect to be sitting in his doghouse from time to time. But if you're a "savvy" veteran like Breeland, you can do no wrong. Nevermind the fact that you drafted one high in the draft and has at least shown to be competent. And the other you claimed off the trash heap and is making the veteran minimum.

Mind you, I didn't mind the Breeland signing, as the secondary needed severe help after last year. But there is no reason Breeland should be playing when others are healthy.

That’s a risk they were willing to take. Hell they could have stayed there and drafted Mac Jones. The front offices inability to see what they truly have and be realistic with their expectations for the season has been an issue since they won that meaningless game at Washington where AP was hurt. I am so tired of being back the same guys and just reloading a few places with average veterans is getting old.

not to mention the need to be too cute in the draft and to the most people or a kicker in the 5th round. I would rather only draft 4-5 guys a year, but have them be higher ceiling guys than just a bunch of people.

oh and maybe just maybe you should sign a free agent kicker to a decent deal to maybe stop this terrible kicking game.

They were told it was supposed to be fixed in time for camp, from the first surgery. But it wasn't.

That’s a risk they were willing to take. Hell they could have stayed there and drafted Mac Jones. The front offices inability to see what they truly have and be realistic with their expectations for the season has been an issue since they won that meaningless game at Washington where AP was hurt. I am so tired of being back the same guys and just reloading a few places with average veterans is getting old.

not to mention the need to be too cute in the draft and to the most people or a kicker in the 5th round. I would rather only draft 4-5 guys a year, but have them be higher ceiling guys than just a bunch of people.

oh and maybe just maybe you should sign a free agent kicker to a decent deal to maybe stop this terrible kicking game.
This drives me nuts. If you look at the "hit" rate (and you can debate what constitutes a hit vs. miss) of players and where they're drafted, I would bet (albeit completely guessing), it would look something like this:

1st round: 50%
2nd: 40%
3rd: 30%
4th: 20%
5th: 15%
6th: 10%
7th: 5%

Then you factor in the ceiling of those "hits", and the ceiling on guys 1-3 on average are going to be higher than guys later in the draft. Sure, you may hit on a Stefon Diggs in the 4th every once in a while, but not reliably. I know it's easier said than done, but you should be trading as many picks as you can to get as many picks in rounds 1-3 as possible. IMO, 5 picks in rounds 1-3 is worth way more than 14 spread out over 7 rounds, most of which being late rounders. I believe it is general assumption that on draft day or just prior, you can trade away a current year pick for a pick in next years draft one round higher (i.e. some team will trade the Vikes a 4th rounder in 2022 for a 5th rounder in 2021). Now, you're at the mercy of how the trading team does as to what the value of that pick is, but why in F are you picking so many guys in the 5th/6th/7th rounds when you should be able to flip a number of them to one round higher in next years draft?

I believe it is general assumption that on draft day or just prior, you can trade away a current year pick for a pick in next years draft one round higher (i.e. some team will trade the Vikes a 4th rounder in 2022 for a 5th rounder in 2021).
Not sure if it's a linear equation but without question YES, draft capital this year is worth more than that pick next year. As a rough assumption, 1 round difference is probably not far off.

Dantzler isn't playing ahead of this guy. Why is that?

It can't have anything to do with the temperament of his head coach, right?
Well, something ain't right here. Who knows what it is.

Dantzler isn't playing ahead of this guy. Why is that?

It can't have anything to do with the temperament of his head coach, right?
Zimmer hates Tomasson with passion.

Bit his head off the other day over some little thing.

Yet some on this board swear our GM is one of the top 10🙄
Fans rag on him for not drafting OL. He drafts one first round. Then the surgery that he told everyone would fix his issue, didn't work and he had to get a second surgery.

So fans rag on him that he isn't playing.

:ROFLMAO: Can't make it up.

And we WON! And the OL has played pretty well the last two games, after the first week disaster.

Neither Hill nor Udoh are the long term answer. But I don't see either costing us the Cards or Seahawks game.

Fans rag on him for not drafting OL. He drafts one first round. Then the surgery that he told everyone would fix his issue, didn't work and he had to get a second surgery.

So fans rag on him that he isn't playing.

:ROFLMAO: Can't make it up.

And we WON! And the OL has played pretty well the last two games, after the first week disaster.

Neither Hill nor Udoh are the long term answer. But I don't see either costing us the Cards or Seahawks game.
Udoh is going to be all-pro in a couple years.

Through 3 weeks, Pro Football Focus's has him rated the 8th best guard in the NFL. He is knocking people back. He has long arms, strength, and good feet. He is one of the reasons the line is looking good lately.

Rick Denison being removed from day-to-day is addition by subtraction for the O-Line.
Correct. The guards are playing well. Things are looking better there. Center and LT are brutal, but we should have the LT solution on the roster.

Can Davis play Center?

Correct. The guards are playing well. Things are looking better there. Center and LT are brutal, but we should have the LT solution on the roster.

Can Davis play Center?
Bradbury actually hasn't been terrible since week 1. I would try Mason Cole there first and then Cleveland there before Davis. He hasn't been doing that great at LG.

If you know anything about OL, watch Bradbury on zone runs, the way he gets up to the next level, and on those screen passes, the way he gets out to lead block.

He's a very good center.

The main thing he struggles with is a high center of gravity, which makes it very difficult for him to anchor against large, powerful bull-rushing nose tackles.

Rick Denison being removed from day-to-day is addition by subtraction for the O-Line.
Stupid take. Why do you think they tried so hard to keep him on staff that they retained him on staff at any cost? Your COVID position hatred is clouding your vision. Denison is extremely highly regarded in what he does around the league.

Udoh's development is just one example. The Vikings have finally allocated some resources to the O-Line in recent drafts, they are a short time away from having one of the better and younger OL in the league.

Stupid take. Why do you think they tried so hard to keep him on staff that they retained him on staff at any cost? Your COVID position hatred is clouding your vision. Denison is extremely highly regarded in what he does around the league.

Udoh's development is just one example. The Vikings have finally allocated some resources to the O-Line in recent drafts, they are a short time away from having one of the better and younger OL in the league.
If Darrisaw is the real deal, and all the skill players coming back(Irv Smith playing now would make this offense close to unstoppable)......they can devote next off season to almost all defense in the draft and any free agency.

Does anyone know what we look like next for salary cap space? Barr is more than likely gone. What kind of shape are we in for the cap?

Dennison is not highly regarded.

If Darrisaw is the real deal, and all the skill players coming back(Irv Smith playing now would make this offense close to unstoppable)......they can devote next off season to almost all defense in the draft and any free agency.

Does anyone know what we look like next for salary cap space? Barr is more than likely gone. What kind of shape are we in for the cap?
Need to reload on corners

Kendricks is weak?

Vigil playing great. Barr who?

Have Dye and really liked Surratt, in the hopper.

They brought him in because he and Gary Kubiak are buddies. Presumably he's close with Klint Kubiak too. Doesn't make him a good coach. Ask any Denver or Buffalo fan.

Top Bottom