All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Happ is 2-0 with 1.62 ERA in his 3 starts with St Louis so far.
It's pretty hilarious when you think about it. Not just him...

All the bullpen guys we let walk last year.
Kyle Gibson
Lance Lynn (only bad season was with us)
Kyle Lohse got pretty good after he sucked for 5+ years with us

There are plenty more examples I'm sure I'm forgetting in the 12 seconds it took to type this up.

Happ is 2-0 with 1.62 ERA in his 3 starts with St Louis so far.
Between him and why the shoe said once he went to Saint Paul it’s funny. Like Ope3 said little Wes is gonna be the scapegoat and it may be well deserved. Of course the twins have also pitched well for the last 2 weeks or so against league leaders.

that’s the truly sad part is the twins have played decent since the first 30 games. If they had gotten even competent pitching from their signings to start the year they would be in playoff contention.

Griffin Jax with another quality start - he's looking the part to be in the rotation for next year.

Crazy, after going winless in their first 7 extra inning games, after tonight they are now 7-9 when going past the scheduled amount.
Now, 9-10. Regression to the mean at it's finest.

Reactions: Go4

Between him and why the shoe said once he went to Saint Paul it’s funny. Like Ope3 said little Wes is gonna be the scapegoat and it may be well deserved. Of course the twins have also pitched well for the last 2 weeks or so against league leaders.

that’s the truly sad part is the twins have played decent since the first 30 games. If they had gotten even competent pitching from their signings to start the year they would be in playoff contention.

They have been playing about .500 ball since April. A "decent" start would thus mean they would be around .500 overall, so playoff contention would really be on the fringe at best. They would still be about 9 or 10 games back of the White Sox. The Wild Card would be about the same margin with 4 or 5 teams yet to catch.

Also not sure if that status would have pressed them to trade Cruz, Berrios & Happ which got them some assets that hopefully will help them in the future.

They have been playing about .500 ball since April. A "decent" start would thus mean they would be around .500 overall, so playoff contention would really be on the fringe at best. They would still be about 9 or 10 games back of the White Sox. The Wild Card would be about the same margin with 4 or 5 teams yet to catch.

Also not sure if that status would have pressed them to trade Cruz, Berrios & Happ which got them some assets that hopefully will help them in the future.
I would take that over where they are now. I think they should have traded more pile cause the odds of playing baseball next year are slim given the labor issue. There is a chance Buxton may never play a game for the twins again, unless he actually does come back from the DL sometime. The guys been out like 30 games for a broken figure, they could have amputated it and had him back on the field quicker.

I would take that over where they are now. I think they should have traded more pile cause the odds of playing baseball next year are slim given the labor issue. There is a chance Buxton may never play a game for the twins again, unless he actually does come back from the DL sometime. The guys been out like 30 games for a broken figure, they could have amputated it and had him back on the field quicker.
I would have preferred winning more games in April as well, I was just pointing out the silver lining. Being .500 would have been no man's land, not really in contention but perhaps hesitant to trade assets to build for the future.

This season had a DOA feel starting on Opening Day's loss to the Brewers with Donaldson getting hurt in his first AB, fielding issues and a late game meltdown. Bad omen. By the time they had to postpone games against the Angels and Arreaz chucked that ball wide of Astudillo by 25 ft to lose to the A's, the season was over as far as postseason hopes. Add that Buxton has played in 3 games since early May...uffda.

Ex-Twin farmhand sets MLB Record -

Yankees' Luis Gil is first MLB pitcher with scoreless starts in first 3 outings​

New York Yankees right-hander Luis Gil became the first MLB pitcher with scoreless starts in each of his first three career appearances following the club's 2-0 win over the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday night.

Gil, ranked as the Yankees' No. 6 prospect by MLB Pipeline, has thrown 15 2/3 scoreless innings to begin his major-league career. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Gil's mark is the most by a Yankees starter in the Expansion Era (since 1961), passing Joba Chamberlain's 15 1/3.

Ex-Twin farmhand sets MLB Record -

Yankees' Luis Gil is first MLB pitcher with scoreless starts in first 3 outings​

New York Yankees right-hander Luis Gil became the first MLB pitcher with scoreless starts in each of his first three career appearances following the club's 2-0 win over the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday night.

Gil, ranked as the Yankees' No. 6 prospect by MLB Pipeline, has thrown 15 2/3 scoreless innings to begin his major-league career. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Gil's mark is the most by a Yankees starter in the Expansion Era (since 1961), passing Joba Chamberlain's 15 1/3.
Not ready to anoint him the second coming of Johan Santana, but he was traded for $%&#@ Jake Cave????

Yup!

The Cave Curse is real and will haunt the Twins until he leaves this mortal plane.
Cave has to know some dirty secret on someone to stay employed with this club. He’s awful and should not be on the club next year. They have lots of corner outfielders and Refsnyder is a better back up than Cave.

Cave has to know some dirty secret on someone to stay employed with this club. He’s awful and should not be on the club next year. They have lots of corner outfielders and Refsnyder is a better back up than Cave.
Rob had a great catch and throw last night -I'm very comfy with him being our 4th outfielder next year (trust his offense much more than Cave or Gordon's) and in a pinch, he can play the infield too.

Last edited:

per Axios Twin Cities:

The Minnesota Twins are on fire.
  • They've won eight of their last 11 games, beating some of the best teams in the league, including Tampa Bay, Houston and the Chicago White Sox.
What's happening: Infielder Jorge Polanco, hobbled by a bad ankle the last two years, has returned to his old form: He's hitting .313 with nine home runs over the past 25 games.
  • Plus: A bunch of pitchers you've probably never heard of have stepped up.
Yes, but: It's too little, too late. Even after the hot streak the Twins are 15 games out of a playoff berth, with a record of 53-67 after last night's 3-1 loss to the Cleveland Indians.

Win Twins!!

Now, 9-10. Regression to the mean at it's finest.

The Twins played it perfectly today! The coughed up a 2 run lead in the 9th, but emerged victorious in 11 innings vs Cleveland Baseball Team. They are now 10-10 in extras after starting out O fer 7.

This has been the longest broken figure in the world. I say the hell with him and trade him this off season. You just can’t play him $80-$100 million for a guy that can’t stay healthy.

$5.00 days he gets hurt playing for the Saints and never plays for the twins the rest of 2021.

This has been the longest broken figure in the world. I say the hell with him and trade him this off season. You just can’t play him $80-$100 million for a guy that can’t stay healthy.

$5.00 days he gets hurt playing for the Saints and never plays for the twins the rest of 2021.
I've got money on an oblique injury.

Glad to see no matter how much success the twins have they can always play for shit against the pin stripes. Honestly they should just forfeit every game against the Yankees to keep players healthy and well rested.

His injury was termed a "boxer's hand fracture" it wasn't just a hairline break or anything like that. Just googling it, typical recovery time is "6 weeks with contact avoided for another 6". This happened late June, so Buxton's recovery time is about what should be expected. With the Twins battling for 4th place, no need to rush it.

If there's a pool going for next ailment, I call dibs on high ankle sprain.

His injury was termed a "boxer's hand fracture" it wasn't just a hairline break or anything like that. Just googling it, typical recovery time is "6 weeks with contact avoided for another 6". This happened late June, so Buxton's recovery time is about what should be expected. With the Twins battling for 4th place, no need to rush it.

If there's a pool going for next ailment, I call dibs on high ankle sprain.
Then that questions why josh Donaldson is out there limping worse than Joe Carter. I agree there is no reason to rush buxton but my god what a mess.

I have dibs on broken foot after fouling off a pitch.

Glad to see no matter how much success the twins have they can always play for shit against the pin stripes. Honestly they should just forfeit every game against the Yankees to keep players healthy and well rested.
My fondest memory of this dysfunctional relationship was going to a playoff gam back in the day when I thought this year was going to be different. I forked over the largesse via StubHub so I could be seven row behind the Twins dugout and while I don't remember the final score of the game or who was the starter, I do remember the following before I left at 4 innings with us being down 11 to donut -

Yankees fans are ginormous dicks.
The Twins always look scared when they play them - They're too busy staring at the Pinstripe as Frank Abangale opined to his son in "Catch Me if You Can."

Last edited:

My fondest memory of this dysfunctional relationship was going to a playoff gam back in the day when I thought this year was going to be different. I forked over the largesse via StubHub so I could be seven row behind the Twins dugout and while I don't remember the final score of the game or who was the starter, I do remember the following before I left at 4 innings with us being down 11 to donut -

Yankees fans are ginormous dicks.
The Twins always look scared when they play them - They're too busy staring at the Pinstripe as Frank Abangale opinioned to his son in "Catch Me if You Can."
The worst part is Stanton’s homer run would have been a single in every other major league ball park.

Then that questions why josh Donaldson is out there limping worse than Joe Carter. I agree there is no reason to rush buxton but my god what a mess.

True, but Buxton is on the crux of a life & generation wealth contract and potentially still a huge part of the Twins future. Donaldson has already signed what is likely his last contract (all guaranteed) and with his track record on the field and established vet status can essentially call his shots (prefaced, if his injury can not do more damage by playing).

Top Bottom