All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Who else are they going to call up though? Maybe under normal circumstances that would make sense. They’re down to 3 players on the 40 man that aren’t already on the active roster or aren’t hurt.
Is Rooker hurt? I'd rather see him up and getting some AB's.

Is Rooker hurt? I'd rather see him up and getting some AB's.
Problem with Rooker is that he is a below-average fielder, and that is being generous. His best position is DH - but that is blocked as long as Cruz is around. And if Cruz gets moved, I would not be surprised to see Sano at DH and Kirilloff at 1B. For Rooker to get regular AB's with the Twins, both Cruz and Sano would need to be moved.

Hopefully they stop screwing around with Buxton in St. Paul and activate him already. He's not less likely to get hurt in St. Paul, he only plays at one speed.

Hopefully they stop screwing around with Buxton in St. Paul and activate him already. He's not less likely to get hurt in St. Paul, he only plays at one speed.
Calling it "screwing around" is a little disingenuous. He missed a full month, a few days to get timing down and see how he reacts to playing a few days and recovers seems well within reason.

It's not like this team is in the midst of a pennant chase, or ever will be this season. On the slim chance they are able to make run, it would need to be with a healthy Buxton performing as he did in April.

Last edited:

Calling it "screwing around" is a little disingenuous. He missed a full month, a few days to get timing down and see how he reacts to playing a few days and recovers seems well within reason.

It's not like this team is in the midst of a pennant chase, or ever will be this season. On the slim chance they are able to make run, it would need to be with a healthy Buxton performing as he did in April.
I get that. Be as cautious as you want. I just don't see what's gained by doing it in St. Paul. It's obvious from seeing him go barreling into 3rd for a triple that he plays the same way there as anywhere else. It's not like he has to play every single day immediately if they activate him.

They're down to Nick Gordon playing CF which he didn't even do in HS. They can be a little aggressive for once.

Last edited:

After watching the first 4 innings tonight, it's obvious to me that it's -

Ober and Out for Shoemaker!

Give "Shoe" the Boot!

and your headline:

"Twins go on long, strange trip on Grateful Dead Night at Target Field."

I think I am only following the Twinkies so I can keep up with this thread.

Perhaps Wes Johnson isn’t the guru we all thought he was. I know players still have to get it done but almost every pitcher has gotten worse this year. That can’t be coincidence.

Colome and Shoemaker should be both dfa after this game. Neither should be allow on the airplane to Seattle.

Joe Mauer sums up the Twins season in a way only Joe Mauer could. Per Shooter:

Joe Mauer on this season’s stumbling Twins: “It’s still early, but it’s not.”

Win Twins!!

Really a rough season. Good thing I don't have Sports North in my TV package or I might actually stumble across a game and end up watching it by mistake.

Going to an outdoor baseball game on a summer evening is still a great social experience. Can't wait to make it to the stadium some time later this summer when all capacity restrictions are gone.

Probably can buy nosebleed walk-up and then start making your way down in later innings.

The Twins don't have any players — including Byron Buxton — untouchable in a trade

There are only two ways Twins players are going to make the World Series this season:

Buy tickets to the games.

Or get traded to a contender.

If the Twins were looking at this past home stand against the Yankees and Astros as a measuring stick to see where they stand with a little over six weeks remaining before the trade deadline, they couldn't have liked how wobbly things looked.

The pieces just aren't in place. There are too many flaws to imagine this team getting back to .500, let alone truly getting back in the race after a 26-39 record through 65 games has left them 15 games back of the White Sox.

The bigger question, as discussed on Monday's Daily Delivery podcast with Patrick Reusse, is just how many players — and what caliber — the Twins end up trading.

Reusse, an astute judge of baseball and personalities, said on the podcast that he senses some dissatisfaction on the part of Byron Buxton — who spent the week rehabbing his latest injury in St. Paul while the Twins gasped for air with a makeshift outfield.

Whether there is some (or a lot of) lingering resentment on Buxton's part for the way the Twins handled his service time in 2018 is an interesting question. He would be a free agent after this season if the Twins had called him up from Class AAA in September after his disastrous start and wrist injury. Instead, he won't hit free agency until after the 2022 season.

Buxton hasn't played for the Twins since May 6. He was having a dominant season and the Twins at least theoretically were still candidates for a turnaround when he was hurt. But now? Nope.

So that leaves us with this realization: There's not a single player on the Twins roster, Buxton included, who should be considered untouchable in a trade either at the deadline at the end of July or in this upcoming offseason.

Buxton and Jose Berrios will both be free agents in a year-and-a-half. Those are home grown success stories who are performing at a high level. But neither might be inclined to sign long-term extensions, and the time to maximize trade value is sooner not later.

Nelson Cruz and Josh Donaldson are veteran power hitters. Cruz would make for an easy swap. Donaldson has 2.5 years left on his $92 million contract, but he came here to win. If the Twins could find a taker, they would make a trade quickly (Reusse mentioned Atlanta as a possible destination).

Win Twins!!

The Twins don't have any players — including Byron Buxton — untouchable in a trade

There are only two ways Twins players are going to make the World Series this season:

Buy tickets to the games.

Or get traded to a contender.

If the Twins were looking at this past home stand against the Yankees and Astros as a measuring stick to see where they stand with a little over six weeks remaining before the trade deadline, they couldn't have liked how wobbly things looked.

The pieces just aren't in place. There are too many flaws to imagine this team getting back to .500, let alone truly getting back in the race after a 26-39 record through 65 games has left them 15 games back of the White Sox.

The bigger question, as discussed on Monday's Daily Delivery podcast with Patrick Reusse, is just how many players — and what caliber — the Twins end up trading.

Reusse, an astute judge of baseball and personalities, said on the podcast that he senses some dissatisfaction on the part of Byron Buxton — who spent the week rehabbing his latest injury in St. Paul while the Twins gasped for air with a makeshift outfield.

Whether there is some (or a lot of) lingering resentment on Buxton's part for the way the Twins handled his service time in 2018 is an interesting question. He would be a free agent after this season if the Twins had called him up from Class AAA in September after his disastrous start and wrist injury. Instead, he won't hit free agency until after the 2022 season.

Buxton hasn't played for the Twins since May 6. He was having a dominant season and the Twins at least theoretically were still candidates for a turnaround when he was hurt. But now? Nope.

So that leaves us with this realization: There's not a single player on the Twins roster, Buxton included, who should be considered untouchable in a trade either at the deadline at the end of July or in this upcoming offseason.

Buxton and Jose Berrios will both be free agents in a year-and-a-half. Those are home grown success stories who are performing at a high level. But neither might be inclined to sign long-term extensions, and the time to maximize trade value is sooner not later.

Nelson Cruz and Josh Donaldson are veteran power hitters. Cruz would make for an easy swap. Donaldson has 2.5 years left on his $92 million contract, but he came here to win. If the Twins could find a taker, they would make a trade quickly (Reusse mentioned Atlanta as a possible destination).

Win Twins!!

I definitely trade both Simmons and Polanco and play Gordo and Arraez up the middle; Polanco would be a nice utility IF player on a contending team as his bat still has some pop and he can play multiple positions.

Change the guard now - be bold and cut the payroll and you'll have cash to sign other FAs when the new core is competitive in 2-3 years.

What pics does Shoe have of Rocko? He is the Twins Putin apparently.
Maeda is starting tonight. Someone has to get dropped. I suppose it will be Dobnak, who's been equally bad. But they must have some reliever in St. Paul or Wichita better than this. That he remains on the roster is a joke. Falvine should be embarrassed. I don't blame Rocco. I think he's trying the TK "look what you've left me with" route and running him out there so they have to see how awful it is.

Falvey and Levine were supposed to pitching staff building gurus. Unless there is a bunch of arms in the minors haven’t heard of on their way to the big club they have failed on the building of a pitching staff.

Maeda is starting tonight. Someone has to get dropped. I suppose it will be Dobnak, who's been equally bad. But they must have some reliever in St. Paul or Wichita better than this. That he remains on the roster is a joke. Falvine should be embarrassed. I don't blame Rocco. I think he's trying the TK "look what you've left me with" route and running him out there so they have to see how awful it is.
I'm super pissed as I canceled my monthly Roku subscription one day after it renewed for June.

I would sign Berrios to an extension and trade everyone else from the old core and build around, Larnich, AK, Gordo (who has game for this level) and Arraez.

Last edited:

I don’t get it either. Buxton’s going to turn into a superstar and they won’t be able to resign him because they’ve pissed him off so many times.

Well, looks like that tall 6'9" pitcher gave them 4 good innings last night.

I can't get over how f'n soft this franchise is. It's a constant parade of seemingly minor injuries, few players playing through them and it rubs off on others. I get that we suck, but that's in part because this franchise is SOFT.

This is embarrassing.

Win Twins!!

I can't get over how f'n soft this franchise is. It's a constant parade of seemingly minor injuries, few players playing through them and it rubs off on others. I get that we suck, but that's in part because this franchise is SOFT.

This is embarrassing.

Win Twins!!

I wonder if Sock 'Em Rocko is "too much of a player's coach"

U gotta sack up sometimes Fellas!!!

Well, looks like that tall 6'9" pitcher gave them 4 good innings last night.
2 solid starts in a row, he looks legit - good command of the zone, three pitches he can throw for strikes and not scared to be in the Big Leagues. I like him as a 3/4 spot in the rotation.

Sock 'Em Rocko needs to stretch him out next start for Pete's Sake.

Top Bottom