All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

UGH. Why didn't they DFA Matt Shoemaker.

Last edited:

Sano is so extremely frustrated but he’s also had some of the most clutch hits the past few years.

To be clear - if the Twins could get value for Sano, I think they'd trade him in a heartbeat.

But the Twins are not the Dodgers or the Yankees. They are not going to DFA Sano or eat the rest of his contract. if they can't trade him, Sano will be playing for the Twins and they will take whatever they get. And FWIW, Sano is leading the team in HR and RBI's this year.

But the key is defining "value."

If all you want in return is some class A guy who might never make it past Triple-A, then sure, you can trade anyone.

But if you want a legitimate prospect in return - a player who has an actual chance of being a productive major league player - then that is a different story.

I just don't see other teams giving up legitimate prospects for many of the Twins' veterans - except for Berrios.

that is the catch-22 the Twins are in. Their veterans are playing poorly, thereby diminishing their trade value. So if the Twins are going to be sellers, they will be selling 'low' on a lot of these guys.

Twins turn a triple play wow. Nicky Lopez bunt pop into a triple play. Sano to Simmons. Jarrod Dyson out at 2nd. That was a 3-6-4 triple play turned turn by the Twins.

Twins turned the first 3-6-4 triple play since the Mariners turned one on May 31, 1980.

Take it for what it's worth, but Reusse was on a Strib Podcast and predicted the Twins will have a fire sale in July. Haven't listened to it yet, but supposedly Reusse said he expects 5 or 6 players to be dealt.

Take it for what it's worth, but Reusse was on a Strib Podcast and predicted the Twins will have a fire sale in July. Haven't listened to it yet, but supposedly Reusse said he expects 5 or 6 players to be dealt.

He included Berrios as amongst the expected players to be dealt. He did not think they could work out an extension, thus better to trade him now.

Twins are down 9-0 in the first inning.

Win Twins!!

So I finished my golf round on Friday evening and bellied up to the clubhouse bar just as the Twins were finishing their bottom of the 1st warmups. Got my beer and salad, Royals were still batting. Entree arrived and I finished, at what I could consider a leisurely pace, paid the bill just as they recorded the 3rd out.

I thought this was cool

I knew a little bit about Sam Rice, but looking him up on wiki, feels like his life and career were ripped off from a Hollywood screenplay.

- Making his way through minors he was actually a pitcher.
- As a young father of 2, his wife, kids and parents were killed by a tornado. Rice was playing minor league ball and not with the family.
- Just as his tenure with the Senators was hitting stride as an outfielder, WW1 broke out. He missed all but a handful of games in 2 seasons while serving in the US Army.
- He played until age 44, and had 2,987 hits, just 13 shy of 3,000. Only 34 HRs.
- 19 years after retiring, gained entry to Cooperstown in 1963 via the Veterans Committee.

From the graph he reigned franchise leader in WAR for over a half century, starting in 1928. He was not surpassed until 1970 by Killebrew. Still ranks #4, not too shabby.

Last edited:

Look at his yearly WAR post MVP.
OK. He had 8 years where his WAR was 3.9 or higher. Of those 8 highest years, obviously one was the MVP year, 3 came before the MVP season, and 4 (FOUR) came after the MVP season. He is third all-time on the Twins, ahead of Kirby Puckett.

Maybe he was better than a lot of our "fans" remember.

OK. He had 8 years where his WAR was 3.9 or higher. Of those 8 highest years, obviously one was the MVP year, 3 came before the MVP season, and 4 (FOUR) came after the MVP season. He is third all-time on the Twins, ahead of Kirby Puckett.

Maybe he was better than a lot of our "fans" remember.
Dumb. He played 9 years after and 5 years before. Before MVP his WAR was below 3.9 only for his first 2 years. After he had a few good years, but became worthless once he was at 1B.

Dumb. He played 9 years after and 5 years before. Before MVP his WAR was below 3.9 only for his first 2 years. After he had a few good years, but became worthless once he was at 1B.
"Worthless"

Thanks for proving my point. Good talk.

He had a WAR of 27.2 from 2004-2009 and 27.8 from 2010 on. Obviously it dropped when he went to 1B which is unavoidable. They would have like to have him catch 2-3 more years. So did he. Concussions happen.

He still had positive WAR every year at 1B, including 3.9 in 2017. To say he was "worthless" is just stupid.

Mauer was not "worthless" while at 1B, he just was not worth the salary he was getting.

Personally, I think Mauer will make it to Cooperstown.

Some of the real number-crunchers would tell you that, relative to his production, Mauer was underpaid for the first phase of his career. So, if he was overpaid in the later years, it basically evens out and he was generally paid what he "deserved" based on the numbers.

I found an article about this a while back, but can't remember where - maybe Baseball Prospectus.

But their point was that most players who get big-money contracts are basically being paid for past performance, not future performance.

If we want to talk about worthless, let’s look at Astudillo
When he's hitting, he's a valuable bench player to plug in. But he's not hitting. I don't understand their reluctance to just have him be the #2 catcher. He's really not that bad defensively and Rortvedt brings nothing.

Some of the real number-crunchers would tell you that, relative to his production, Mauer was underpaid for the first phase of his career. So, if he was overpaid in the later years, it basically evens out and he was generally paid what he "deserved" based on the numbers.

I found an article about this a while back, but can't remember where - maybe Baseball Prospectus.

But their point was that most players who get big-money contracts are basically being paid for past performance, not future performance.
MLB is shifting away from that. But Mauer had all the leverage when it was time for that extension. If he'd had 2 more years at catcher like he had in 2012-2013, it wouldn't have been a bad a contract. As it was, yes, he was overpaid, but not by as much as some make it seem.

When he's hitting, he's a valuable bench player to plug in. But he's not hitting. I don't understand their reluctance to just have him be the #2 catcher. He's really not that bad defensively and Rortvedt brings nothing.
Rortvedt is better defensively and is young. At this point I’d rather let the young guys play as much as possible.

Rortvedt is better defensively and is young. At this point I’d rather let the young guys play as much as possible.
He's never going to be a big league regular IMO. Garver and Jeffers should get 100% of the innings once both are back. But until then, it's kind of a waste to have both Rortvedt and Astudillo on the bench.

He's never going to be a big league regular IMO. Garver and Jeffers should get 100% of the innings once both are back. But until then, it's kind of a waste to have both Rortvedt and Astudillo on the bench.
Who else are they going to call up though? Maybe under normal circumstances that would make sense. They’re down to 3 players on the 40 man that aren’t already on the active roster or aren’t hurt.

Top Bottom