All Things 2021 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Alexander Colome come in the game bottom of the 10th and give up a walk off 2 run homer. Alexander Colome should never had been brought into the game.
He's been pitching well and they didn't have any better options. The only ones left were Stashak and Thielbar.

Scoring once in 8 chances with a guy on 2nd is beyond pathetic. Robot Rocco refuses to adjust. I will be glad when he's gone, even though it won't be any time soon.

What is frustrating about the Twins season is the season begins too early.
Then when it does begin, they have the 2nd day of the season off, and too many day games.
(2 days off before they played their first 8 games).

By the time you can find a game on TV in the evening to watch, they are already 5 games out of the lead.

May 3rd was the first weeknight game they had that started after 6:30 and before 8:30 PM.
Twins were already 5 games back at that point.

I grew up watching as much Twins baseball as I could possibly find, but the way Dave St. Peter has run that franchise makes my stomach turn.

Last edited:

Why did Maeda only pitch 5 innings after throwing 73 pitches?

Robles blow one for the Twins. Up 5-4 and he come in after throwing 27 pitches yesterday. Game tied.

So glad Ballys hasnt reached agreement with Youtube tv so i dont waste my time

And then the BEST D Play I've seen all season.

Last edited:

And then the BEST D Play I've seen all season.

Middle Aged Wood in the NYC baby!!!

Hint, at this point, I'm not that picky on the stimulus!!
Garver hit it where it was pitched to give us the lead in the 8th. So -

Twins manage to beat Baltimore's best starter and get through not having their 3 best relievers available.

Twins manage to beat Baltimore's best starter and get through not having their 3 best relievers available.
He's also one of the best in the AL. He threw a no-no this year and was an All-Star previously as well..

So, if the Twins can go 10-3 in their 13 games against the Os and K that gives us a 28-32 record through 60 games and a shot.

We look much better and I want to see the following happen -

AK and Larnach have to be the regular starters with Sano as a spot starter.

Refsnyder needs to stay as the 4th outfielder as he can play a good CF and also the corner spots - time for Cave to be DFA

So, if the Twins can go 10-3 in their 13 games against the Os and K that gives us a 28-32 record through 60 games and a shot.

We look much better and I want to see the following happen -

AK and Larnach have to be the regular starters with Sano as a spot starter.

Refsnyder needs to stay as the 4th outfielder as he can play a good CF and also the corner spots - time for Cave to be DFA
4 strike-outs last night. It appears Sano's "hot streak" is over. Trade him while you still can.

I was reading about Refsnyder. Interesting story.

Born in South Korea. adopted as an infant by an American couple and grew up in California. Star athlete in HS, including QB of the FB team. Played college Baseball at Arizona State. They won the College World Series in 2012 and Refsnyder was the Most Outstanding player.

I believe he started with the Yankees and has been kicking around the majors for a few years.

for his entire Major League career, has 6 HR, 30 RBI and .233 BA.

just goes to show you how hard it is to be a Major League baseball player. A lot of really good athletes have tried and come up short.

Shama chimes in:

Speculation: Tampa Bay Rays interested in acquiring Twins’ Nelson Cruz; Toronto Blue Jays looking at Minnesota’s Jose Berrios.

Go Gophers!!
They have plenty of pieces to trade, but we gotta see where we end up at the end of this 13 game stretch fitst.

AK & Larnach could equal a poor man's M&M boyz - so that's fun and interesting.

4 strike-outs last night. It appears Sano's "hot streak" is over. Trade him while you still can.
To your credit, you didn't delete it after his three run bomb today to complete the sweep!

Interesting numbers for a couple of hometown heroes for now -

Big Mike

Pineda continues to be a find for the Twins. He limited Baltimore to a run and three hits with two walks and eight strikeouts in six innings. The outing lowered Pineda’s ERA to 2.62 this season. Since joining the Twins, Pineda is 16-7 overall with a 3.65 ERA.

Bigger Miggy

The slugger added another big moment to his mid-May hot streak when he ripped a 97-mph fastball from Jorge López out to center for a three-run homer with two outs in the sixth inning to give the Twins a 3-1 lead. Since May 15, Sanó is batting .271/.340/.771 with seven home runs and 17 RBIs in 53 plate appearances. Of his seven homers, four have tied the game or put the Twins in the lead.

Perhaps, but that's a 2022 problem. The bullpen needs help now.
I assumed they were already punting on 2021. I think trading Sano now would also further signal that, unless somehow Buxton gets back quickly, returns to his April performance and remains healthy. Big asks.

I assumed they were already punting on 2021. I think trading Sano now would also further signal that, unless somehow Buxton gets back quickly, returns to his April performance and remains healthy. Big asks.
We need to go 7-3 over the next ten to reach my 10-3 record (I got it from The Athletic) to reach 28-32 for 60 games - I say full steam ahead at that point and go for the playoffs.

FTI - they also said in The Athletic article today that they aren't in a manic hurry to rush Buck back at this point. My guess is that they feel they can go 7-3 over the next ten with the lineup as is and let him fully recover for the push for the last 102 games.

Lastly Arrez is now on the DL and Cave was moved to the 60 day list with a fracture to a bone in his lower back.

At the least the fire sale is postponed until July. But I'd trade Sano and Simmons now for any decent offer. Both are limited and blocking younger, and likely better players.

bottom line - if you want quality back in a trade, you have to be willing to give up quality.

Twins fans seem to have a habit of proposing what I call the "idiot trade" - because it only works if the GM of the other team is an idiot.

The typical "idiot trade" goes something like this: "let's take 2 or 3 guys we don't like, and are having bad years, and trade them to another team for someone good."

In past years, the idiot trade would always include Nick Punto.

Looking at the Twins right now, the players with the highest trade value would be Berrios, then probably Pineda. Maybe Taylor Rogers. Robles might get you something as part of a package deal.
for the position players, I don't think Sano brings you that much unless he's part of a bigger deal. Same think with Kepler - too streaky. If they thought they could not sign Buxton to a long-term deal, he would have some value if he could stay healthy for a couple of months.

in the end, it still comes down to this: the Twins have to be able to draft and develop pitching. You just can't trade for enough pitching, and they won't spend the money to buy free agents, so the bulk of you pitching has to be home-grown.

bottom line - if you want quality back in a trade, you have to be willing to give up quality.

Twins fans seem to have a habit of proposing what I call the "idiot trade" - because it only works if the GM of the other team is an idiot.

The typical "idiot trade" goes something like this: "let's take 2 or 3 guys we don't like, and are having bad years, and trade them to another team for someone good."

In past years, the idiot trade would always include Nick Punto.

Looking at the Twins right now, the players with the highest trade value would be Berrios, then probably Pineda. Maybe Taylor Rogers. Robles might get you something as part of a package deal.
for the position players, I don't think Sano brings you that much unless he's part of a bigger deal. Same think with Kepler - too streaky. If they thought they could not sign Buxton to a long-term deal, he would have some value if he could stay healthy for a couple of months.

in the end, it still comes down to this: the Twins have to be able to draft and develop pitching. You just can't trade for enough pitching, and they won't spend the money to buy free agents, so the bulk of you pitching has to be home-grown.
So you don't think we could trade Cave, Simmons, and Shoemaker for Degrom?

Top Bottom