All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

I agree that building a culture is important, but roster construction is equally important. I expected Ben to keep at least a few solid contributors from last years team. Not only did that not happen, this team doesn't have a legitimate PG, and very little in the front court.

Ben needs to show he knows how to build a roster and he's going to need to prove he can win some games to land higher rated in state kids. His biggest voids on this roster are at PG and PF/C, and he's done next to nothing to fill either so far.
Do we know Payton Willis isn’t a legitimate PG? What are the requirements? We don’t know our offense yet. If we were staying with Pitinos high ball screen stuff I would understand your worries, but I think we know that’s gone.

No question it will be tough to compete this coming year with the roster as it is. I will be watching with optimism every game as I have for the entirety of my life as a Gopher fan. I do expect to see them compete. I will be looking for defensive toughness from start to finish (attitude). Situational coaching decisions that show me Ben is a game time coach. At least 1 or 2 players to step up and play beyond everyone's expectations. Improvement from the beginning of the season to the end, both as a team and individually. My sense is that this bunch has something to prove, I am hopeful they are currently putting in the work to make it happen.
This...

"What has Ben done culture wise that should have me excited? I asked an associate AD this same question and it was met with the blank stare of a kid who was asked a question by a teacher but didn’t read the book."

Wondering if the blank stare might have been because it was more like a random stranger walking up to a building site that has been cleared and fenced off, with plans to build a nice, new house. The supplies have been ordered; the builders with solid reputations of being hard-working & accountable, with characteristics that indicate they can build this type of house, have been hired; the supervisors have a blueprint approved by the owner, and we start physically building the house next week. And the random stranger is asking why it doesn't look like a finished house yet.

The new coaching staff had zero interest in the Pitino’s players. So much so they didn’t reach out to them so the players simply left. I am fine with it but it is now a trapeze act without a net.

The new coaching staff had zero interest in the Pitino’s players. So much so they didn’t reach out to them so the players simply left. I am fine with it but it is now a trapeze act without a
Do you know this to be a fact?

"What has Ben done culture wise that should have me excited? I asked an associate AD this same question and it was met with the blank stare of a kid who was asked a question by a teacher but didn’t read the book."

Wondering if the blank stare might have been because it was more like a random stranger walking up to a building site that has been cleared and fenced off, with plans to build a nice, new house. The supplies have been ordered; the builders with solid reputations of being hard-working & accountable, with characteristics that indicate they can build this type of house, have been hired; the supervisors have a blueprint approved by the owner, and we start physically building the house next week. And the random stranger is asking why it doesn't look like a finished house yet.

That analogy has more holes than a slice of swiss cheese. Home builders don't face a team of individuals at every second who are trying to prevent them from doing their jobs. Building materials are well suited to their job by design and don't have the ability to deviate from the builders' plans. If the materials are faulty, they can be replaced by better materials at any time. And as far as the builders' reputations, what reputations are you attributing to these builders? Is there something we haven't been told about this coaching team's accomplishments?

Last edited:

I do believe the C2F hashtags we keep seeing on twitter will be the “mantra”. I have no idea what it is though.

I was pretty negative on the hire are first mainly because of how much of a Craig Smith fan I am, but it’s now growing on me. I will be excited to see if he can produce on the court.
Commit 2 the Future?
Comics 2 Film?
Commander 2nd Fleet?

What you’re missing is that the builder has never built a house, so asking questions seems valid. Ben hasn’t done this. He can say whatever he wants. Asking what he has done so far when I have been seeing culture referenced constantly seems valid. Sorry that you still didn’t answer my question.

What you’re missing is that the builder has never built a house, so asking questions seems valid. Ben hasn’t done this. He can say whatever he wants. Asking what he has done so far when I have been seeing culture referenced constantly seems valid. Sorry that you still didn’t answer my question.
How would you expect to see evidence of the "culture" yet? They haven't even started summer workouts. Just because he doesn't speak to it publicly with slogans and videos ala PJ does not mean he isn't installing a culture. He is starting with it by the type of people he is bringing in, and the conversations he has had, and yes he has had them, with the players who have left. There are many coaches that have a very defined culture, and fans don't "experience" it through slogans and constant communication. I would love Villanova or Virginia basketball cultures for example, and Wright and Bennett don't espouse it to the fans everday. The best coaches implement cutlure through recruiting, and through what they emphasize in practices and beyond each day with their players. PJ brings you in as a fan a little bit, and more importantly implements it with his team as far as we can tell. Most don't. Hugh McCutcheon is pretty successful at the U, and he doesn't scream culture publicly day in and day out - but it's there in the type of players he recruits and how they consistently perform.

How would you expect to see evidence of the "culture" yet? They haven't even started summer workouts. Just because he doesn't speak to it publicly with slogans and videos ala PJ does not mean he isn't installing a culture. He is starting with it by the type of people he is bringing in, and the conversations he has had, and yes he has had them, with the players who have left. There are many coaches that have a very defined culture, and fans don't "experience" it through slogans and constant communication. I would love Villanova or Virginia basketball cultures for example, and Wright and Bennett don't espouse it to the fans everday. The best coaches implement cutlure through recruiting, and through what they emphasize in practices and beyond each day with their players. PJ brings you in as a fan a little bit, and more importantly implements it with his team as far as we can tell. Most don't. Hugh McCutcheon is pretty successful at the U, and he doesn't scream culture publicly day in and day out - but it's there in the type of players he recruits and how they consistently perform.
I agree with you. But there are constantly t references to his culture on here. So if I am not expected to see evidence of it yet—how do others reference the culture he is building? That’s my question.

I agree with you. But there are constantly t references to his culture on here. So if I am not expected to see evidence of it yet—how do others reference the culture he is building? That’s my question.
There is some evidence of the culture by the guys he’s brought in and who he hasn’t pursued. Also can see some by who he is currently recruiting in the 2022 class. You can also see by who he hired as assistants. That’s really about all we have at this point, but you can pull some ideas from it for sure.

Everything after the first sentence (a question) is rambling (and fairly irrelevant) prose. The first sentence pretty much says it all. We don't know what his team's culture will be yet and the coach's intentions mean nothing unless they are realized. No one cares what a coach or his players "could do" only what they will do. As far as the "types" of players he's recruiting, we don't know all that much about them either and, in any event, if they stink on the court recruiting a bushel of "high character" players will be of little consolation.

Great post. Bennett and Wright do not say much to the general public because the model it through actions and how they conduct themselves and recruit to it. The authenticity sells as a bond in trust and BJ models himself that way. He has delivered on things that he can promise. The chance to compete that chance to build something larger than themselves, the toughness mentally and physically, the high character. These guys are busy working, not talking.

That analogy has more holes than a slice of swiss cheese. Home builders don't face a team of individuals at every second who are trying to prevent them from doing their jobs. Building materials are well suited to their job by design and don't have the ability to deviate from the builders' plans. If the materials are faulty, they can be replaced by better materials at any time. And as far as the builders' reputations, what reputations are you attributing to these builders? Is there something we haven't been told about this coaching team's accomplishments?
One has to understand who is who in this analogy. Just because one doesn't get it or doesn't agree with it, doesn't make it a bad analogy. The builders are the players, who by everything I've seen and heard, are accountable, solid individuals who have experience and have also had some success in their careers. The supervisors are the coaching staff, who have obviously presented a blueprint to the the owner, in this case, the athletic director. Is there a chance that this house is more than the builders and supervisors can handle? Yes, because as you mentioned, there are others doing everything they can to prevent success.

But I think it's pretty unfair to say there has been no progress on culture at all. I would say that bringing in a coach who feels that defense and increased ball movement is a sign. Bringing in players who seem to be in the mold, mentally and character-wise, of what he is trying to get started here is also a step in the right direction.

I would ask, exactly what specifically would you consider a move that could be made today, that would indicate to you that DJ and his staff have made progress on establishing a culture for his team? I think you might be asking the impossible at this point. Unless you're of the belief that the process doesn't matter, only the result. IE, don't care how the pregnancy went, I only want to see the baby.

Last edited:
Reactions: sal

I would say that bringing in a coach who feels that defense and increased ball movement is a sign.
Pitino also talked plenty about defense and ball movement, but his teams were unable to execute those things with consistency. I think the majority of basketball coaches would tout the value of defense and ball movement.

Bringing in players who seem to be in the mold, mentally and character-wise, of what he is trying to get started here is also a step in the right direction.
I don’t know what evidence we have to say that the players brought in fit the mold mentally and character-wise. One, because we have no idea what the “mold” is, and two, because we know very little about the players that have been brought in. I think a stronger argument could be made about the players brought in not fitting the mold of a successful Big Ten basketball player, but I think that is more of a talent discussion than a culture discussion.

Long story short, we are 2.5 months in - it is waaaay too early for anyone to make a judgement on the basketball program’s culture at this point. The culture will ultimately result in the team and effort we see on the court. Trying to judge the culture of the program at this point is like asking someone how much they would pay for a house when they don’t know what it looks like, what country it is in, how big it is, how many ghosts it has, etc... it just can’t be done with any fidelity.

I can see BJ adapting H.Y.P.R.R (do i have that right?) and F.A.M.I.L.Y

He already did the whole, I picked you you didnt pick me to the team that was here....so maybe he just told Ihen that 1 on 1.

Leaders establish a new culture of expectations as they build the team. Outsiders will not really see the results until they begin playing games. Kind of silly to claim it isn’t being built just because you do not see anything yet. It is like gripping about their W/L record before they have played any games, oh wait, that has been done on this board already.

Leaders establish a new culture of expectations as they build the team. Outsiders will not really see the results until they begin playing games. Kind of silly to claim it isn’t being built just because you do not see anything yet. It is like gripping about their W/L record before they have played any games, oh wait, that has been done on this board already.
I didn’t say it wasn’t being built. I said there have been lots of posts saying the culture the culture the culture sooooo i asked for evidence. So you’re agreeing with my original post

I can see BJ adapting H.Y.P.R.R (do i have that right?) and F.A.M.I.L.Y

He already did the whole, I picked you you didnt pick me to the team that was here....so maybe he just told Ihen that 1 on 1.
Hahaha. The Ihnen part of this was very funny

I didn’t say it wasn’t being built. I said there have been lots of posts saying the culture the culture the culture sooooo i asked for evidence. So you’re agreeing with my original post
No, I am not. It is too early to demand evidence and you know it. You are just spamming.

Pitino also talked plenty about defense and ball movement, but his teams were unable to execute those things with consistency. I think the majority of basketball coaches would tout the value of defense and ball movement.

I don’t know what evidence we have to say that the players brought in fit the mold mentally and character-wise. One, because we have no idea what the “mold” is, and two, because we know very little about the players that have been brought in. I think a stronger argument could be made about the players brought in not fitting the mold of a successful Big Ten basketball player, but I think that is more of a talent discussion than a culture discussion.

Long story short, we are 2.5 months in - it is waaaay too early for anyone to make a judgement on the basketball program’s culture at this point. The culture will ultimately result in the team and effort we see on the court. Trying to judge the culture of the program at this point is like asking someone how much they would pay for a house when they don’t know what it looks like, what country it is in, how big it is, how many ghosts it has, etc... it just can’t be done with any fidelity.
Pitino talked about defense as coach speak. We will find out soon how defense will be stressed in this regime. Even when losing games , great defense will show.

Top Bottom