All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Starter sophomore and junior year...looks like Johns Hopkins didn't play the 2020-21 season except 3 games, was a bench contributor turned starter freshman year. 6'1 guard. As a junior averaged 29 minutes, 8.7 points, 3.1 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.5 steals and with lots of attempts career 3-point average is .396. A grad transfer, clearly has to be a smart guy to go to Johns Hopkins. Johns Hopkins is a DIII men's basketball school. If Ben didn't plan on using all 13 scholarships, this is a fantastic use of one that was going to go unclaimed. This would mean we are up to 11 with 2 to go to hopefully front court players.

Starter sophomore and junior year...looks like Johns Hopkins didn't play the 2020-21 season except 3 games, was a bench contributor turned starter freshman year. 6'1 guard. As a junior averaged 29 minutes, 8.7 points, 3.1 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.5 steals and with lots of attempts career 3-point average is .396. A grad transfer, clearly has to be a smart guy to go to Johns Hopkins. Johns Hopkins is a DIII men's basketball school. If Ben didn't plan on using all 13 scholarships, this is a fantastic use of one that was going to go unclaimed. This would mean we are up to 11 with 2 to go to hopefully front court players.

His LinkedIn page says he received his degree (electrical engineering/computer science) from Hopkins in 2021 so I guess he likely would do a grad degree here. Chances are he doesn't have to worry about the academic admission.

Ben lining up walk-ons, really putting Pitino to shame. The walk on spot was a complete afterthought his last 2 seasons.
Spot on! Pitino saw no value in it during any of his years here. Nor did he pay them back by consistently giving them garbage minutes. Fleck and Johnson do.

Wouldn't we rather get Mitchell?
I would definitely prefer Mitchell. He is more undersized, but IMO he is more skilled and would be a better "culture" fit from publicly available info.

It looks like Khadim Sy left VA Tech twice because he was unhappy about playing time (once he came back, the next time he transferred to Ole Miss). Then he left Ole Miss mid season this year. Those are some major red flags for me.

Willis added to the gopher roster and just today Liam added to Vanderbilt’s roster

any idea if these two are still waiting on waivers?

Willis added to the gopher roster and just today Liam added to Vanderbilt’s roster

any idea if these two are still waiting on waivers?
Doubt willis is going to have to sit, if he did he would be entering his 7th year in college basketball the following season

Can a guy grad transfer multiple times? He graduated from the U his last time here and then grad transferred to Charleston.
I’m guessing that if it’s a different grad program it doesn’t matter since he finished his bachelors. He also has never gotten a waiver before so I think he just may fit in the free transfer group.

I’m guessing that if it’s a different grad program it doesn’t matter since he finished his bachelors. He also has never gotten a waiver before so I think he just may fit in the free transfer group.
Yea, that makes sense. I suppose he hasn’t actually used his free transfer yet in that he had to sit out last time he transferred here.

This season has zero safety net. Human drama from day 1. We may need an excuse tracker but either way so intoxicating.

Khadim Sy down to Wake Forest, Clemson and ECU. We must have been his first choice and withdrew the offer because he delayed his decision and then eliminated Minnesota.
When ECU is in your top 3 then you must have issues that keeps programs from recruiting you.

It may very well be that Khadim Sy does not have the academic chops for UMN standards.

Likely players similar to Khadim Sy desire to utilize a college team as their steeping-stone to a pro career.... Exposure on a main stage nationally in tournament action or a winning team featured on a major network easily could sway a recruits interest along with the type of talent he is surrounded by in assisting his ability to showcase his level of production...The Gophers 10 transfer additions are average mid-major players at best, the only incoming freshman, Treyton Thompson, is miles away from being productive in the Big Ten, and most likely could be red-shirted year one...My opinion the top rostered player for the Gophers 2021-2022 will be Isaiah Ihnen, who spent most of his time on the bench last year....Bottom-line Minnesota is a hard sell for a 4-star type recruit unless they can establish Big Ten competitive credibility under a new coach....

Likely players similar to Khadim Sy desire to utilize a college team as their steeping-stone to a pro career.... Exposure on a main stage nationally in tournament action or a winning team featured on a major network easily could sway a recruits interest along with the type of talent he is surrounded by in assisting his ability to showcase his level of production...The Gophers 10 transfer additions are average mid-major players at best, the only incoming freshman, Treyton Thompson, is miles away from being productive in the Big Ten, and most likely could be red-shirted year one...My opinion the top rostered player for the Gophers 2021-2022 will be Isaiah Ihnen, who spent most of his time on the bench last year....Bottom-line Minnesota is a hard sell for a 4-star type recruit unless they can establish Big Ten competitive credibility under a new coach....
You really have terrible takes.

Gopher-MB is based on opinions formed by assumption or fact... Fact is, I realize Ben Johnson has attempted to recruit higher profile players in the massive over-stocked transfer portal with minor success....My take is not a knock on Ben Johnson's effort, ..."but why"... several players like Khadim Sy reject playing for the Gophers when likely they could log huge minutes & padded stats in a major conference as a assumed featured player .....many have opted instead to teams with talented rosters that could cut into court minutes or even be merely bench depth...I can only assume they feel Minnesota will lack national exposure or even the ability to be somewhat competitive against several teams with almost a completely new replaced roster .......

Gopher-MB is based on opinions formed by assumption or fact... Fact is, I realize Ben Johnson has attempted to recruit higher profile players in the massive over-stocked transfer portal with minor success....My take is not a knock on Ben Johnson's effort, ..."but why"... several players like Khadim Sy reject playing for the Gophers when likely they could log huge minutes & padded stats in a major conference as a assumed featured player .....many have opted instead to teams with talented rosters that could cut into court minutes or even be merely bench depth...I can only assume they feel Minnesota will lack national exposure or even the ability to be somewhat competitive against several teams with almost a completely new replaced roster .......
Wake Forest, clemson, and ECU aren't exactly national powerhouses. I would think their exposure is either the same or less than Minnesota in the B1G.

I can only assume they feel Minnesota will lack national exposure or even the ability to be somewhat competitive against several teams with almost a completely new replaced roster .......

Or, like millions of others across the nation, maybe they feel it's just too cold here to be an appealing destination.

Wake Forest, clemson, and ECU aren't exactly national powerhouses. I would think their exposure is either the same or less than Minnesota in the B1G.
Clemson got to the finals of the ACC tournament and made the NCAA last year, a bit more exposure than Minnesota garnered. It's all about winning games.

Top Bottom