All Things 2021 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Boston College transfer Steffon Mitchell has cut his list to San Diego St, Utah, Minnesota and Texas A&amp;M, he told <a href="https://twitter.com/Stadium?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@Stadium</a>. Senior forward averaged 9.1 points and 7.3 boards last season.</p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanHoops) <a href="">May 2, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Interesting list. Craig Smith, Brian Dutcher, Buzz Williams, and Ben Johnson....where have I heard those names discussed before?

Can’t hold that against coach Johnson.
I agree, although technically Ben Johnson was an assistant coach when Mitchell was being recruited. Hopefully they don't harbor any ill will.

That is interesting. So Gach and Ihnen are the only ones left.

Still looking for four more guys to fill the roster. Seems like it’s been very quiet (too quiet?) with names of players that might be looking at MN. I think Ben has said the guys get on campus together in June so will we have a full roster by then? What a year to come in to a new job and manage this.

I would guess Mitchell is coming. He can take Johnson’s roll. Might open up time for Ihnen and Fox. I like Brandon Johnson dude battled. Hopefully one of these guys can knock down a jumper. None of the 4 mention are great shootersZ

Who is Mitchell?
Shakopee grad who played for BC for four years. Grad transfer. Junkyard dog. Great guy to have in a rebuild. Would definitely fit the mold of gritty.

I think Johnson has more skills on offense though.

So we had 2 guys who decided they wanted to stay and play for Johnson? Not a great look.

Not a great look for whom? People on Gopher Hole? Who cares?

Since he's managed to procure 6 transfers to commit, only three who are from the state, I'm guessing the look hasn't bothered the transfers much.

Assuming no one else leaves, he has 9 guys now without Johnson. He only needs three more. Now, the pickings aren't as good as they were a month ago and waiting for those Texas A&M transfers may have set him back but I'm assuming he's made some offers in the last three weeks.

Shakopee grad who played for BC for four years. Grad transfer. Junkyard dog. Great guy to have in a rebuild. Would definitely fit the mold of gritty.

I think Johnson has more skills on offense though.

Oh, that Mitchell. Forgot about him for some reason. An article today said Minnesota was in his top 4. I know the player. If he comes, I don't think we lose anything from Johnson leaving.

Not a great look for whom? People on Gopher Hole? Who cares?

Since he's managed to procure 6 transfers to commit, only three who are from the state, I'm guessing the look hasn't bothered the transfers much.

Assuming no one else leaves, he has 9 guys now without Johnson. He only needs three more. Now, the pickings aren't as good as they were a month ago and waiting for those Texas A&M transfers may have set him back but I'm assuming he's made some offers in the last three weeks.
Every player on our team except for 2 have transferred out. I don't know maybe that's normal these days with a new coach but it wasn't even the case when Pitino came here.

Of course we brought in transfers. We had 10 spots to offer. The problem isn't Johnson bringing in guys or not (hell i could get guys to transfer to MN if i was the coach). The problem is only 2 guys on our roster wanted to play for him. Whether they were good, great, bad, or meh that just seems odd.

I would guess Mitchell is coming. He can take Johnson’s roll. Might open up time for Ihnen and Fox. I like Brandon Johnson dude battled. Hopefully one of these guys can knock down a jumper. None of the 4 mention are great shootersZ
Johnson was not a good shooter. He was 14-56 from 3 pt range. 25% Now take away his surreal shooting night where he almost single handedly won us the game and was 8 of 9 from 3 pt range- he was 6 of 47 for all other games- 13%. That said, I like Brandon. Tough kid and I wish him the best. We now have a roster with zero proven Big Ten starters. Ben is going to have to do a masterful job to get to 5-6 wins in the Big Ten this year unless he lands some amazing late spring transfers...

I could see the lineup looking like this:

Ihnen, Mitchell, Battle, Loewe, Stephens. No true big, no true point. I am all good with it as long as they build an identity of toughness and defense.

Every player on our team except for 2 have transferred out. I don't know maybe that's normal these days with a new coach but it wasn't even the case when Pitino came here.

Of course we brought in transfers. We had 10 spots to offer. The problem isn't Johnson bringing in guys or not (hell i could get guys to transfer to MN if i was the coach). The problem is only 2 guys on our roster wanted to play for him. Whether they were good, great, bad, or meh that just seems odd.

Again, the optics only matter if those discourage players from coming here. The evidence doesn't suggest that's the case other than the fact that this likely will be viewed as a significant rebuilding year. Why should anyone cry over people who don't want to stay here?

And, no, I don't think you could have brought in 6 capable transfers in about 3 weeks. We also aren't the only team in the country with more than a few openings.

Man we are just starting to become ridiculous and annoying now. Craig Smith was at the top of most wish list. He has lost 8 players to the portal at Utah. This might be the new norm that fans have to prepare for especially during a coaching change. Also half of our roster plays similar roles as Johnson. Maybe he sees his time will be cut and we wont be a tourney team so it is time to move on. I mean he entered the NBA draft so he may have an inflated view of his own game

Again, the optics only matter if those discourage players from coming here. The evidence doesn't suggest that's the case other than the fact that this likely will be viewed as a significant rebuilding year. Why should anyone cry over people who don't want to stay here?

And, no, I don't think you could have brought in 6 capable transfers in about 3 weeks. We also aren't the only team in the country with more than a few openings.
Ha you questioning my recruiting abilities? In all seriousness any coach out there could have recruited 6 guys in the 3 weeks. We're a Big Ten team and it isn't like we brought in the top transfers in the country. No dig at the guys we brought in just saying I don't doubt anyone could have done that.

To the original point though...maybe it shouldn't be as big of a deal but having all but 2 guys transfer out makes me shake my head. I'm well aware we'll have a team next year and could be equally or even more competitive, but it's still a stat that bothers me.

Man we are just starting to become ridiculous and annoying now. Craig Smith was at the top of most wish list. He has lost 8 players to the portal at Utah. This might be the new norm that fans have to prepare for especially during a coaching change. Also half of our roster plays similar roles as Johnson. Maybe he sees his time will be cut and we wont be a tourney team so it is time to move on. I mean he entered the NBA draft so he may have an inflated view of his own game

You are oversimplifying here.

The way you are phrasing this, it's like all players are the same in terms of quality/skill/etc.

Utah never beat a single ranked opponent last year, in fact they haven't been very good for a while.

Minnesota last year, when healthy, was excellent at home last year, the players we are losing are the ones who helped beat some highly ranked teams. Yes, we lost road games, I get it, but we were still a good squad until classic RP injury bug.

So no, Craig Smith losing 8 players is not the same as us losing what we are losing. If I was an Utah fan, I'd almost be happy to just clean up the roster and start fresh.

You put the Utah roster in MN last year, I doubt we win many games.

But realistically, the big player losses are only Carr and Robbins. Johnson, Williams, and Mash are kind've "in-between" losses. Mitchell, Freeman, Jarvis, Mutaf didn't have much impact.....

Yeah, but I put that on RP and one of the biggest reasons I'm glad he's gone.

He relied on his starters soooo much, that when someone got hurt, his bench had very limited in-game experience.

We'll see how the bench does at the different schools they go to. My guess is 1 or 2 will surprise us.

Mitchell was BC's 6th leading scorer. Johnson was WMU 2nd leading scorer. (both BC and WMU were bad).

Mitchel was their leading rebounder, so my guess is that's why we are recruiting him. we dont really have a big right now.

Looking like small ball for next year.

You are oversimplifying here.

The way you are phrasing this, it's like all players are the same in terms of quality/skill/etc.

Utah never beat a single ranked opponent last year, in fact they haven't been very good for a while.

Minnesota last year, when healthy, was excellent at home last year, the players we are losing are the ones who helped beat some highly ranked teams. Yes, we lost road games, I get it, but we were still a good squad until classic RP injury bug.

So no, Craig Smith losing 8 players is not the same as us losing what we are losing. If I was an Utah fan, I'd almost be happy to just clean up the roster and start fresh.

You put the Utah roster in MN last year, I doubt we win many games.
What does beating a ranked team has to do with the way we finished?. We literally could say the same thing about our squad. One of our starters for half of last year came from Utah. Only players who will truly be missed are Liam and Carr. For the most part this majority of the board complained about everyone else on roster

Ha you questioning my recruiting abilities? In all seriousness any coach out there could have recruited 6 guys in the 3 weeks. We're a Big Ten team and it isn't like we brought in the top transfers in the country. No dig at the guys we brought in just saying I don't doubt anyone could have done that.

To the original point though...maybe it shouldn't be as big of a deal but having all but 2 guys transfer out makes me shake my head. I'm well aware we'll have a team next year and could be equally or even more competitive, but it's still a stat that bothers me.
If the portal has 1,500 in it, that averages to more than four for every team in Division 1. Yeah the Gophs are high but why would that not be expected? How many of those 1500 will land with another program?

Interesting list. Craig Smith, Brian Dutcher, Buzz Williams, and Ben Johnson....where have I heard those names discussed before?
All schools that fit from a talent standpoint and all coaches with Minnesota recruiting ties

To be fair, everything on this board is annoying unless you agree with the post 100%
Disagree. In fact, this is the exact kind of post that really ****** me off.

Take a look around at all of the players that have entered the portal, you will be surprised. This is not a typical year with the Covid exemption.

Take a look around at all of the players that have entered the portal, you will be surprised. This is not a typical year with the Covid exemption.

Yeah, I think some are making the mistake of thinking this is how it is going to be from now on. That is not to say the transfer portal is going away or isn't going to be a big factor in the future but this particular year is way crazier than it typically will be.

This level of player movement just isn't sustainable on a year to year basis. Not sure what the current count is but I know at one point there were like 1500 players active in the portal.

What does beating a ranked team has to do with the way we finished?. We literally could say the same thing about our squad. One of our starters for half of last year came from Utah. Only players who will truly be missed are Liam and Carr. For the most part this majority of the board complained about everyone else on roster
Sometimes it felt like the majority of the board complained about the entire team- Liam and Marcus included!

Top Bottom