All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Wolves stop skid, avenge recent loss with romp over Mavs​

MINNEAPOLIS -- — Karl-Anthony Towns had 20 points and nine rebounds and the Minnesota Timberwolves made up for a narrow loss at Dallas four days earlier by tightening up their defense and blowing out the Mavericks 116-95 on Friday night.

Jordan McLaughlin had a season-high 16 points on 6-for-8 shooting for the Timberwolves. They moved a half-game behind idle Denver for the sixth spot that they badly want in the Western Conference to avoid the play-in tournament. The Timberwolves, who stopped a two-game losing streak, play the Nuggets next week..

Minnesota's bench had a 47-38 scoring advantage. The reserves were on a roll in the second quarter, but that was a painful stretch. Naz Reid limped off with a leg injury, though he later returned. Malik Beasley sprained his ankle and did not return..

Timberwolves: D'Angelo Russell had 15 points and eight assists. ... Minnesota's last three-game losing streak was Dec. 28-Jan. 2. ... Jaden McDaniels missed his fifth straight game with a sprained left ankle.

Dallas coach Jason Kidd was asked before Friday's game if he addressed his players about keeping their collective cool.
"That's just part of the game," Dallas coach Jason Kidd said before specifically referring to Wolves veteran Patrick Beverley. "Bev is going to always talk. That's who he is. He does it at very high level and he has been successful. So there's really nothing to talk about. It's just part of basketball. At times you'll have conversations. Sometimes they're heated. Sometimes they're under control. There's nothing really to address there."

Dallas was called for 1 technical tonight. Minnesota got two of them. Unfortunately for the Mavs, Doncic ended up receiving his 15th technical foul of the season. If Doncic gets one more technical foul, he'll be suspended for one game.

Last edited:

A few thoughts...

I'm pretty sure Luka could start for the wolves.

It's kinda fun to see Marc Lore and Alex (I think we're supposed to call him "Alex" now) play super fans at TC after watching Glen sit like a statue for 25 years. If they do manage to bring in somebody with NBA Big Boy or Big Girl money to actually buy the team, I really hope we aren't sitting here 2-3 years from now having to endure their threats to yank the team out of here if the taxpayers don't build them a stadium.

I've looked at the remaining schedules of Denver, Dallas and even Utah and I don't see a pathway to sixth place. Hope I'm wrong. Losing all those games in October screwed them. That means...

A pissed off LeBron, a pissed off Westbrook and a healthy AD will likely be here for the first play in game. Not an easy win.

After all the years of TC having 3K people in the building for March games (including players, vendors, ushers, etc.), having full houses with court side haircuts, pretend owners yukking it up with fans and the place so loud that PatBev wears earplugs is pretty damn fantastic!

Last edited:

A few thoughts...

I'm pretty sure Luka could start for the wolves.

It's kinda fun to see Marc Lore and Alex (I think we're supposed to call him "Alex" now) play super fans at TC after watching Glen sit like a statue for 25 years. If they do manage to bring in somebody with NBA Big Boy or Big Girl money to actually buy the team, I really hope we aren't sitting here 2-3 years from now having to endure their threats to yank the team out of here if the taxpayers don't build them a stadium.

I've looked at the remaining schedules of Denver, Dallas and even Utah and I don't see a pathway to sixth place. Hope I'm wrong. Losing all those games in October screwed them. That means...

A pissed off LeBron, a pissed off Westbrook and a healthy AD will likely be here for the first play in game. Not an easy win.

After all the years of TC having 3K people in the building for March games (including players, vendors, ushers, etc.), having full houses with court side haircuts, pretend owners yukking it up with fans and the place so loud that PatBev wears earplugs is pretty damn fantastic!

The Wolves would play the Clippers in the first play in game.

The Lakers still have to make the play in game as well. They likely will, but the Spurs are only two games back with the 15th ranked schedule remaining. The Lakers have the second toughest schedule remaining.

I think the Wolves will take care of the Clippers, but even if they didn't and faced the Lakers, the Wolves have owned the Lakers this year. The only game they lost to them was when DLo and Towns didn't play. The Lakers had all of their stars when the Wolves blew them out in December, and that was with Ant out.

The Wolves are clearly better than the 8th, 9th, and 10th seeds in the west.

Last edited:

The Lakers still have to make the play in game as well. They likely will, but the Spurs are only two games back with the 15th ranked schedule remaining. The Lakers have the second toughest schedule remaining.

I think the Wolves will take care of the Clippers, but even if they didn't and faced the Lakers, the Wolves have owned the Lakers this year. The only game they lost to them was when DLo and Towns didn't play. The Lakers had all of their starts when the Wolves blew them out in December, and that was with Ant out.

Yep. Must have meant that they'd play each other in the Western Conference Finals. Though if the Lakers played someone who hadn't disrespected them, obviously the Lakers would lay down and quit.:unsure:

1. Current Play-In Tournament
    Play-in Game 1: No. 8 L.A. Clippers at No. 7 Minnesota Timberwolves (winner would play No. 2 seed)
    Play-in Game 2: No. 10 L.A. Lakers at No. 9 New Orleans Pelicans (loser eliminated)
    Play-in Game 3: Game 2 winner at Game 1 loser (winner would play No. 1 seed)

I think the Wolves will take care of the Clippers, but even if they didn't and faced the Lakers, the Wolves have owned the Lakers this year. The only game they lost to them was when DLo and Towns didn't play. The Lakers had all of their stars when the Wolves blew them out in December, and that was with Ant out.

My mistake. I thought #7 plays #10 in the first game.

Now Beasley with an ankle sprain. Doesn't look too bad, but sounds like he could miss 2-3 games.

and FWIW, Doogie says McDaniels may not be back from his ankle in time for the play-in round.

I have heard speculation that the Wolves might even look at picking up a player on a 10-day contract to provide some depth down the stretch.

Now Beasley with an ankle sprain. Doesn't look too bad, but sounds like he could miss 2-3 games.

and FWIW, Doogie says McDaniels may not be back from his ankle in time for the play-in round.

I have heard speculation that the Wolves might even look at picking up a player on a 10-day contract to provide some depth down the stretch.
Is that center who was the left hander out there yet? I can't remember his name. He meshed well with the team, has been in many tough games, and just help hold it together

My mistake. I thought #7 plays #10 in the first game.
That has always made sense. And I thought that way forever.

I would be very disappointed if we lost the 7-8 match at home.

I just want this team to get to experience of a 7 game series. That's the first step.

Last edited:

Beasley has been very good over the last two months, but Nowell is more than capable of stepping into those minutes. Not really concerned about that injury.

Hey, Los Angeles Lakers.

Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.

Damn, I'd laugh my ass off if they missed the play-in.

Celtics came in on a 5 game winning streak. They also had beaten the Wolves15(?) straight times in Boston. Both those streaks continued.

BOSTON -- — Jayson Tatum scored 34 points and Jaylen Brown had 31 points and 10 rebounds on Sunday night to help the Boston Celtics coast to their sixth straight win, 134-112 over the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The Celtics won for the 24th time in their last 28 games, and this one came at the expense of the team that until recently had been the second-hottest in the NBA. Minnesota is 12-5 since the All-Star break, winning 10 of 11 before back-to-back losses to Phoenix and Dallas this week.

Anthony Edwards scored 24 and Karl-Anthony Towns added 19 as the Timberwolves opened a four-game trip with a loss — their third in four games..

Both the Toronto Raptors and Minnesota Timberwolves are in danger of falling into this year’s play-in tournament. They’ll hope to change those fortunes during their matchup at Scotiabank Arena on Wednesday night.

The pre-game narrative: The Raptors can sweep a four-game homestand with a win against Minnesota. They most recently beat third-seeded Boston on Monday in overtime and have won nine of their last 11 games. The Timberwolves, meanwhile, are two back of the No. 6 seed in the West and have dropped three of their past four contests, including a pair of road matchups.

Here are our best Timberwolves vs. Raptors picks for tonight’s game.

Timberwolves vs. Raptors picks overview​

• Anthony Edwards under 19.5 points (-105)
  • Raptors moneyline (-155)
  • Under 229.5 points (-115)

Timberwolves vs. Raptors picks​

Best bet: Anthony Edwards under 19.5 points (-105)

And this DLO clown makes 30 million a year. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

He looks like he is 40 years old out there.

Last edited:

I added something to the injury report. It is beyond description how easy it is for teams to score on us. Just beyond description.

1st Half Toronto shot about 32% inside the 3 point line and 60+ outside of it. How the hell does that happen.
And this DLO clown makes 30 million a year. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

He looks like he is 40 years old out there.

Still thinking that the 76ers were stupid not to take him for Simmons?;)

1st Half Toronto shot about 32% inside the 3 point line and 60+ outside of it. How the hell does that happen.

Still thinking that the 76ers were stupid not to take him for Simmons?;)
How does it happen? That's a softball question.

We can't defend the paint, so we collapse. The ball is sent back out. DLO and Ant are super slow to recover or care. They literally don't get there. The shooter is wide open and it's simple target practice. The part that is disgusting, is that someone can hit 2 in a row, and then the next time down the floor they are wide open again. It's unreal.

Beverly, who is supposed to be this all world defender is too short to stop it. You can't start DLO and Beverly. There is no length to stop the perimeter.

We literally need three new starters next year, and it's kind of frustrating that it won't happen.

I'd pay to have the Sixers to have taken DLO. We are going to pay him 32 million next year. It's so sad.

There is one good though. We haven't been running our mouths much lately.(SWAG)

Last edited:

With each game that play-in looks likelier to happen, with the Wolves' latest loss coming 125-102 to the Raptors, their fourth loss in their past five.

The Wolves knew this stretch of the schedule, with games against some of the league's best and hottest teams, would test their ability to compete enough to get to the No. 6 seed. They are quickly failing that test.

The Wolves are now three games behind Denver and 2½ behind Utah (three in the loss column), with only five games remaining.

The Wolves once led by 17, but that seemed a distant memory once Toronto's outside shooting got going like a juggernaut. Toronto was 18-for-36 from three-point range and turned the night into a rout, just like Boston and Phoenix did to the Wolves last week. For all the strides the Wolves have made this season, the last week has shown them just how far they need to go to be among the league's elite.

Apple Valley's Gary Trent Jr. had 29 for Toronto while OG Anunoby had 22. Pascal Siakam had a triple double with 12 points, 10 rebounds and 13 assists.

Anthony Edwards led Minnesota with 24 points and eight rebounds and Karl-Anthony Towns had 16. D'Angelo Russell's struggles continued with 13 points on 3-for-15 shooting from the field..

The good news is McDaniels was shooting around yesterday and has been cleared for basketball activities. Sounds like he could be ready in a week. Beasley shouldn't be out much longer either.

The good news is McDaniels was shooting around yesterday and has been cleared for basketball activities. Sounds like he could be ready in a week. Beasley shouldn't be out much longer either.
Can we bring mutumbo out of retirement?

Wednesday's loss, specially that damn 4th Quarter, really hurt. Tonight's game out in Denver? A loss out there would not be a surprise.

The Wolves are 25-13 at home. According to one site that's 6th in the NBA. On the road? They are 18-21. The same site says that is 17th.

After tonight they play at Houston Sunday, then to finish the regular season they get Washington, San Antonio and Chicago at home. Hope they are healthy for at least some those games.

NAMEPOSDATESTATUSCOMMENT
Jaden McDanielsPFMar 30OutTimberwolves head coach Chris Finch said Wednesday that McDaniels (ankle) has been cleared for some basketball activity and will be re-evaluated in one week, Chris Hine of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.
Malik BeasleySGMar 29OutTimberwolves head coach Chris Finch said Tuesday that Beasley (ankle) isn't "anywhere close" to returning to game action, Chris Hine of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports.

- At the Half it's Wolves 70 Nuggets 65
- Russell 22, Towns 18 and Reid 8
- They are 13 for 20, the rest of the team is 8 for 21

- Jokic 24, Gordon 13 and Hyland has 9 for Denver

Top Bottom