All Things 2021-2022 Minnesota Timberwolves In-Season Thread

Don't blow this game Timberwolves. up double digit in the 4th qtr. Now 15 point lead.

Wolves hang on to beat Denver 136-130.

- After losing 12 straight to Denver they've now beat them 3 in a row.
- Towns had 32 Russell 24 Prince 16 and Beasley 14
- Jokic 33 Gordon 24 Morris 23 Hyland 14 and Green 12

Minnesota flies down to play Houston Sunday at 6:00.

Despite the emotional atmosphere, or perhaps because of it, the Wolves came away with a 136-130 victory to move within two games of the Nuggets and clinch the tiebreaker over them with four games remaining.

Towns, who always relishes his matchups against Nikola Jokic, had 32 points and nine rebounds while Jokic had 38 points, 18 rebounds and eight assists. D'Angelo Russell broke out of his slump with 24 points while the Wolves turned 17 Denver turnovers into 30 points. The Wolves still have an uphill climb to avoid the play-in tournament, but Friday's win made sure they're still in that race for a little while longer. The Wolves survived a late push from Denver that made it a 133-130 game with 24.2 seconds to play to hang on.

Towns and Russell couldn't miss to start in the game and hit their first 10 shots.

Russell looked eager to snap out of his cold spell by hitting his first four shots, which included two three-pointers. Towns looked eager to prove he's every bit of Jokic's equal with 16 points in the first quarter on 6-for-6 shooting. That helped the Wolves open up a 34-26 lead. Towns could have had more in the quarter but foul trouble came back to bite him again.

He picked up one trying to defend Jokic in the paint and then an unnecessary one swiping for the ball in the backcourt..

Timberwolves are on pace to scores 160. They up 80-68 at halftime in Houston. 80 points wow.
Wolves can be an offensive powerhouse. If they could couple that with decent defense they could be a force.

But their goal cant be to just play better offense then their opponent

Wolves can be an offensive powerhouse. If they could couple that with decent defense they could be a force.

But their goal cant be to just play better offense then their opponent

Yep. Though this year, outscoring their opponents is really all they can depend on. They are leading the NBA in scoring but 22nd in opponents scoring. They need to beef-up that defense and rebounding in the off-season.

They're 45-34 with 3 home games left, Washington, San Antonio and the Bulls.

HOUSTON -- — Anthony Edwards scored 33 points, Karl-Anthony Townsadded 28 and the Minnesota Timberwolves built a huge lead and held on for a 139-132 win over the Houston Rockets on Sunday night.

It’s the second straight victory for Minnesota, which is in seventh place in the Western Conference with three games remaining.

The Timberwolves led by as many as 25 in the fourth and were up by 16 with about five minutes to go before Houston scored the next eight points, with five from Josh Christopher to get within 132-124 a couple of minutes later.

D’Angelo Russell made a layup for Minnesota before Towns added a basket to make it 136-126 with about a minute to go.

Houston coach Stephen Silas became irate at the officials for foul calls after that and went onto the court screaming at the referees and had to be restrained. He was issued two technical fouls and ejected from the game..

TIP-INS

Timberwolves: Patrick Beverley sat out with a sore ankle. ... Jaden McDanielsmissed the game with a sprained left ankle. ... Russell added 22 points with nine assists.

Would dumping Russell for a good rebounding amd defensive big man balance provide the balance the team needs to become a 50-55 win team?

With further development from Edwards, I'd say yes.

Would dumping Russell for a good rebounding amd defensive big man balance provide the balance the team needs to become a 50-55 win team?

With further development from Edwards, I'd say yes.

i'll say possibly. Looking at the money Russell makes and how inconsistent he's been, can't see that they'd be able to get an above-average player like that in return. Or would want to see Beasley as their primary Point Guard.

They really have to beef-up the starting talent on that roster.

i'll say possibly. Looking at the money Russell makes and how inconsistent he's been, can't see that they'd be able to get an above-average player like that in return. Or would want to see Beasley as their primary Point Guard.

They really have to beef-up the talent on that roster.
Beasley is definitely not a PG.

Could Nowell do it? I haven't watched much wolves this year, but looks like he could by dynamic

Beasley is definitely not a PG.

Could Nowell do it? I haven't watched much wolves this year, but looks like he could by dynamic

Have no idea. Seems like most Timberwolves fans think Nowell should be getting more playing time. Seems like Finch disagrees.

I would like to see the Wolves add another big man who is primarily a defensive player and rebounder.

and this consideration - the Wolves are going to be picking a lot lower in the draft then they have been accustomed to, so the odds are lower of them grabbing a college player who can step in and make an immediate impact.

if they're going to add a big, it probably has to be through a trade or free-agency, and that means dumping equivalent salary.

I would like to see the Wolves add another big man who is primarily a defensive player and rebounder.

and this consideration - the Wolves are going to be picking a lot lower in the draft then they have been accustomed to, so the odds are lower of them grabbing a college player who can step in and make an immediate impact.

if they're going to add a big, it probably has to be through a trade or free-agency, and that means dumping equivalent salary.

Mark Williams from Duke may be available where they draft. I'd also like to see them make a run at Nurkic, who will be a FA.

NO interior defense, NO defensive rebounding, NO defense on the perimeter. 72 points in the interior tonight. WTF?

Point Guard and Center set the tone on defense. It's sort of like up the middle defense in baseball. Towns and DLO are the worst combo in the league.

I can't even believe my eyes how easy teams are scoring on us. It's dunk after dunk after dunk, wide open threes, blow to the hole on the perimeter, with no resistance etc. Ant is back to not having a clue on defense. We are a bad defensive team, but that was pure don't give a shit. There were some boo birds out in the 4th quarter after about the 5th straight layup or dunk.

Here are the numbers they have given up in the last 5 games: 134, 125, 130, 132, 132

YOWSERS!

Gawd, was Finch pissed off in his postgame.

Last edited:

That, was awful.

"The Timberwolves have played a similar game against inferior opponents for the past couple of months — just outscored them. No defense required.

And, frankly, it usually works. When you sport one of the league’s top offenses since the calendar flipped to 2022, and possess talents like Karl-Anthony Towns, Anthony Edwards and D’Angelo Russell, one side of the ball is often enough to hold off teams that lack similar firepower.

But that’s a dangerous way to live, as Minnesota learned Tuesday.

Washington scored at will, and the Wolves simply couldn’t produce enough offense to hold serve in their 1
32-114 loss to the Wizards on Tuesday at Target Center.."

And... of course, this was my last game of the season and they lay an egg. Just an awful game all around. The Clippers are going to kill them in the playoffs.

And... of course, this was my last game of the season and they lay an egg. Just an awful game all around. The Clippers are going to kill them in the playoffs.
i think they can win one home game vs clippers or spurs/pelicans.

However, once they get in playoffs, it will be vs Suns or Grizz, which will be an easy sweep. Wolves need tougher players that have some pride in their defense. Beverly and McDaniels can only carry them so far.

Last night was bad, but it’s one game. Beverly didn’t play and it was McDaniels first game back. This team will dial the intensity back up when the playoffs begin.

I’m not concerned about the play in game. I’d love to see Memphis in the first round. They match up well with them and have split the season series.

So does this mean that ESPN will refuse to air the NBA Playoffs? :unsure:

PHOENIX -- A season that started with championship promise for the Los Angeles Lakers ended with the pain of failing to even qualify for the play-in tournament.

Tuesday's 121-110 loss to the Phoenix Suns -- coupled with a 116-97 win by the San Antonio Spurs over the Denver Nuggets -- officially eliminated L.A. from play-in contention with three games remaining in the regular season..

"This year, we had more starting lineups than wins," Davis said, matter-of-factly..

So does this mean that ESPN will refuse to air the NBA Playoffs? :unsure:

PHOENIX -- A season that started with championship promise for the Los Angeles Lakers ended with the pain of failing to even qualify for the play-in tournament.

Tuesday's 121-110 loss to the Phoenix Suns -- coupled with a 116-97 win by the San Antonio Spurs over the Denver Nuggets -- officially eliminated L.A. from play-in contention with three games remaining in the regular season..

"This year, we had more starting lineups than wins," Davis said, matter-of-factly..

Love it! No playoffs for Labron.

Spurs are in the playoffs. Got there by winning their last 3 and 7 out of their last 8.

Minnesota Timberwolves 45-35

NAMEPOSDATESTATUSCOMMENT
Jaden McDanielsPFApr 7Day-To-DayHead coach Chris Finch said Thursday that McDaniels (ankle) is feeling "just fine, physically" after making his return to action Tuesday against Washington, Jon Krawczynski of The Athletic reports.
Malik BeasleySGApr 6Day-To-DayBeasley (ankle) is probable for Thursday's contest against the Spurs.
Patrick BeverleyPGApr 6Day-To-DayBeverley (ankle) is questionable for Thursday's game against the Spurs.

San Antonio Spurs 35-45

NAMEPOSDATESTATUSCOMMENT
Jock LandaleCApr 7Out
Devin VassellSGApr 6Day-To-DayVassell (Achilles) is probable for Thursday's game against the Timberwolves, Paul Garcia of ProjectSpurs.com reports.
Lonnie Walker IVSGApr 6Day-To-DayWalker (back) is questionable for Thursday's game against the Timberwolves, Bruno Passos of PoundingTheRock.com reports.
Romeo LangfordSGApr 6Day-To-DayLangford (heel) is expected to play Thursday at Minnesota, Tom Petrini of KENS 5 in San Antonio reports.
Dejounte MurrayPGApr 6OutMurray (illness) is out Thursday against the Timberwolves, Bruno Passos of PoundingTheRock.com reports.
Doug McDermottSFMar 16OutMcDermott's ankle sprain has been diagnosed Grade 3, and he's expected to sit out the rest of the regular season, independent NBA writer Matthew Tynan reports.

Anthony Edwards did his part – and the Timberwolves theirs – to avoid this time out the NBA's new play-in tournament that starts next week.
They all did so with Thursday's 127-121 victory over San Antonio at Target Center on a night when Edwards scored 49 points, one more than his previous career high at Golden State in November.
He made two free throws with 9.1 seconds left that surpassed those 48 points he scored in San Francisco after he took several three-point shots in the final minute..

The Spurs return home after the game to play Golden State in their final home game and honor colorful San Antonio businessman Red McCombs, the former owner of the Spurs as well as the NFL's Minnesota Vikings for seven years.He founded an automotive group named after him, co-founded Clear Channel Communications, formerly owned the Denver Nuggets as well and is a philanthropist famous for his contributions to universities in Texas and elsewhere.
"He's a piece of work," Popovich said. "The Spurs wouldn't be there without him. David (Robinson) wouldn't have been there without him. My first job was under him. You just fall in love with the guy. He's bigger than life. The first time he walked into the gym was with these big cowboy boots, fur coat and that big hat. I learned a lot from him. He's special to a whole lot of people."

Clippers at Timberwolves, 8:30 central time, next Tuesday night..........TNT is broadcasting.

Really dislike the play-in games. Even more so when the Wolves finish 7th. They made the playoffs for only the 2nd time since 2005. Sort of, dammit.

Play-in games did give cable a handful of games to shows, couple of teams another gate, maybe two, but devalues the regular season.

Only bright spot is the Lakers STILL didn't get it. :drink:

Last edited:

Really dislike the play-in games. Even more so when the Wolves finish 7th. They made the playoff for only he 2nd time since 2005. Sort of, dammit.

It play-in games did cable a handful more games to shows, couple of teams another gate, maybe two, but devalues the regular season.

Only bright spot is the Lakers STILL didn't get it. :drink:
Im not confident wolves win either game. They just want to outscore teams

Im not confident wolves win either game. They just want to outscore teams

Agreed. Just that I think it's all they can really do.

Towns? Needs to be aggressive to be effective. Problem is when he's aggressive fouls get called on him and he goes to sit on the bench. Both the National media and shockingly enough, even the local media have grudgingly admitted that. Without his scoring touch, rebounding and his size, the Wolves are always in trouble.

Yes, he needs to just shut-up and leave the Refs alone. Whining doesn't help. Problem is, not whining doesn't mean he'll start getting honest calls either.

Russell? There was period in February(?) when Russell was getting praised for his defense. On the national level and here(!). That time seems to have passed.

Edwards? He's an above-average defender. A very good one when his shots aren't falling.

Beverly and Prince? Good defenders.

Vanderbilt? Know he's a good rebounder. Honestly can't say either way on his Defense.

Teams get back quickly in the playoffs. Don't think they have the shooters to win a half court game either. Though that's what often happens in the playoffs.

Being a Timberwolf's fan since the first year so I'm conditioned to be pessimistic. Growing up in Minnesota also conditioned to look for the negative in every possible positive moment. Though not the type to scream "I TOLD you so!"

Never been that kind of guy. Know that you and Tikited aren't like that either. Though yeah, that loss to Washington did piss me off.

Right now just gonna focus on that record and hope they can get a few more wins before it's all over.

Last edited:

Top Bottom