All Things 2020 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

The Vikings signed Todd Davis to replace Barr. Pretty lucky to have a player of his calibur available at this point. If he's healthy anyway.

I said it before the season....the biggest brain fart by the staff was letting Waynes go. Going into the season with Hughes, an question mark in Hill, and a handful of rookies was bound to be rough.

Didn't Hill play well as a rookie and last season after the suspension? Doesn't mean he was ready to start, but maybe that was one reason for hope.

I said it before the season....the biggest brain fart by the staff was letting Waynes go. Going into the season with Hughes, an question mark in Hill, and a handful of rookies was bound to be rough.
I didn't mind letting Waynes go specifically. But not signing a single veteran CB was a mistake.

Watching Antoine Winfield Jr. fly around making plays for the Bucs is pretty frustrating. He's a better player than Jeff Gladney and it's not close.

Tyler Johnson on the other hand, still has the drops too often.

I will say after watching Gostkowski miss 4 kicks opening week, I'd have put the odds of him making 3 FG's of 50 + at around 2%.
Of 50? 54 and 55 as the game winner.

Vikings bad luck this season is maxed out, after three games. Even on the last drive (where the Titans won it with the FG), Hill was in great position to make what would've been the game sealing interception.

Incredible days for Cook and Jefferson. We need to ride both for everything they're worth. Looked like Cook hurt his ankle on his last play. Shame if he has to miss time.

OL was pretty decent, then disgustingly bad on the last drive. Last play (Cousins' basically "hail mary" to try to get a first down) Rieff got pwned by Clowney and it was about to be a massive sack. Cousins was running for his life the whole drive. Zero chance to do anything. Botched snap. Awful.

Defense running on skeleton crew. Barr done for year, but also lost Dye, and Ben Gideon is maybe retiring because of concussions? DL is doing well despite losing Pierce and Hunter.

Somehow ... I'm hoping that we're going to get a lot of hurt people back and its going to come together at the right time. Squeak into the playoffs, peak at the right time. Who knows. Probably wishful thinking.

Watching Antoine Winfield Jr. fly around making plays for the Bucs is pretty frustrating. He's a better player than Jeff Gladney and it's not close.

Tyler Johnson on the other hand, still has the drops too often.

He hasnt even played yet.

https://www.startribune.com/scoggins-victory-in-their-grasp-vikings-throw-it-away/572557981/

Does it really need further explanation? Cousins was there on the field, right?

Trailing by one, the Vikings got the ball at their 25-yard line with 1 minute, 44 seconds left and no timeouts. A roughing-the-passer penalty on an incompletion moved the ball to the 40.

The Vikings only needed a field goal to win. They have a veteran offense, led by a veteran quarterback. Even with no timeouts (which was Zimmer’s fault for using them up), this qualified as favorable circumstances by NFL standards.
First down: Cousins gets pressured and throws incomplete to avoid a sack.

Second down: Cousins wasn’t ready/looking for center Garrett Bradbury’s snap and the ball sails past him for a 14-yard loss.

Third down: Cousins pressured again and his rushed throw hits a Titan and falls incomplete.

Fourth down: Hail Mary pass, interception.

Scoggins is so clueless. 2nd down was entirely Bradbury's F up. The whole line didn't move when he snapped it. Means he F'ed the snap count up. 3rd down Dru Samia (right guard) gets pushed back into Cousins lap like he wasn't even there. 4th down Clowney punked Reiff and was about to fold him like a chair so he heaved a desperation "hail mary" at the first down line .... and it landed in Thielen's hands, should've been an unbelievable first down, but it bounced out incomplete when he hit the ground.

Frankly, with as absolutely horses__t as the OL played on that drive, I'd rather not get our starting QB's back broken.

Of 50? 54 and 55 as the game winner.

Vikings bad luck this season is maxed out, after three games. Even on the last drive (where the Titans won it with the FG), Hill was in great position to make what would've been the game sealing interception.

Incredible days for Cook and Jefferson. We need to ride both for everything they're worth. Looked like Cook hurt his ankle on his last play. Shame if he has to miss time.

OL was pretty decent, then disgustingly bad on the last drive. Last play (Cousins' basically "hail mary" to try to get a first down) Rieff got pwned by Clowney and it was about to be a massive sack. Cousins was running for his life the whole drive. Zero chance to do anything. Botched snap. Awful.

Defense running on skeleton crew. Barr done for year, but also lost Dye, and Ben Gideon is maybe retiring because of concussions? DL is doing well despite losing Pierce and Hunter.

Somehow ... I'm hoping that we're going to get a lot of hurt people back and its going to come together at the right time. Squeak into the playoffs, peak at the right time. Who knows. Probably wishful thinking.
If you want to keep hope alive, remember there are 4 WC spots.

The NFC East is terrible and I doubt they'll take one of them. Dallas will win the Division and that's it for them.

I'm not buying the Bears who needed desperate comebacks to beat the Lions and Falcons just yet. I would say the loser of Saints/Bucs will for sure take a WC spot and likely 2 from the West among Seattle/SF/Arizona. That leaves one spot for the Rams/Bears and any other team that can claw their way to 8 or 9 wins to fight over.

this is from the Vikes beat reporter on ESPN.com -

Chaos in the form of OL play: Kirk Cousins faced the 3rd highest pressure rate of his career vs. TEN with pressure on 14 of his 30 dropbacks (47%). That included six of his nine dropbacks in the fourth quarter and each of his three dropbacks on the Vikings' final drive.

if the QB is being pressured on half of his drop-backs, you're in trouble.
ergo, the Vikes are in trouble.

this is from the Vikes beat reporter on ESPN.com -

Chaos in the form of OL play: Kirk Cousins faced the 3rd highest pressure rate of his career vs. TEN with pressure on 14 of his 30 dropbacks (47%). That included six of his nine dropbacks in the fourth quarter and each of his three dropbacks on the Vikings' final drive.

if the QB is being pressured on half of his drop-backs, you're in trouble.
ergo, the Vikes are in trouble.
The guards have been just awful. There has to be guys on the street they can sign who would be better.

He played yesterday and had a drop. Only reason I noticed he was in the game.

Cant deny what you seen. But I checked the box score and they do not have johnson listed. Went to his summary page and they show him with zero targets in the denver game and for the entire regular season

1601316598970.png

Cant deny what you seen. But I checked the box score and they do not have johnson listed. Went to his summary page and they show him with zero targets in the denver game and for the entire regular season

View attachment 9480
Hmm. Then the announcers were mistaken. They specifically said it.

The guards have been just awful. There has to be guys on the street they can sign who would be better.
Samia seems like a guy that has potential, on paper. 2nd team AA and 1st team all Big XII at Oklahoma in 2018. 4th round pick in 2019 draft.

Dozier is a bit older, but a 4th rounder in 2014. Has always been a backup. Would like to think he is better than Elflein though.

Bradbury had the terrible botched snap count on the last drive. The drive before that (which also was a disaster), Bradbury and Samia both screwed up (or at least one of them did) and allowed a DB to sneak right up the middle and sack Cousins.

Just going to be growing pains.

Here's to the 2020 Vikings. May you, somehow, end up being the The Dude from The Big Lebowski.

Am I the only one who thought going for that two-point conversion was an obvious bad decision?

Am I the only one who thought going for that two-point conversion was an obvious bad decision?
Hindsight 20/20.

With the way we had gone on offense all day .... why would we suddenly collapse on the last two drives?

Did Tennessee only just then realize that our OL is horrible, save for O'Neil?

No, it was the correct decision.

The failure was not converting the 2 PT Conversion and only taking less than 3 minutes off the clock after the Titans cut the lead down to 2. Even the 1st down they did get, Cook went out of bounds to stop the clock. The Vikes get another first down or two, game over.

Also, Zimmer's failed 2nd half challenge costing them a time out could have had an impact.

Well if we had gotten the 2pt conversion, I doubt Tennessee goes for a 55yard FG to bring it to 31-32. But who knows what would've even happened.

And now things shut down a while because of some Titans testing positive for the virus.

Top Bottom