All Things 2020-2021 College Basketball Coach Hire/Fire Thread

Oklahoma opening up will add some interesting dynamics in the coaching carousel.

Lon Kruger chimes in:

Go Gophers!!
Too bad. Heck of a coach. Mark Turgeon/Craig Smith to Oklahoma or his kid jilts UNLV a few days after taking it? I assume he knew dad was retiring when he took the job.

Too bad. Heck of a coach. Mark Turgeon/Craig Smith to Oklahoma or his kid jilts UNLV a few days after taking it? I assume he knew dad was retiring when he took the job.
I wondered the same. When he took the UNLV job, I thought what a fish out of water, and just like everywhere else, he made them tough/respectable, including I think one sweet sixteen run. He could coach just about anywhere and turn it positive.

I assume this is the WCC's Portland, not Portland State (same conf as E Wash). And if so, I guess "surprised", maybe, that this would be a "step up" for him, in pay, etc.?

Maybe all the WCC programs trying to rise up their game, really try to make it a western Big East.

I wondered the same. When he took the UNLV job, I thought what a fish out of water, and just like everywhere else, he made them tough/respectable, including I think one sweet sixteen run. He could coach just about anywhere and turn it positive.
If their choices are Turgeon or Smith, I hope they choose Smith.

If their choices are Turgeon or Smith, I hope they choose Smith.
They may view Turgeon as a more natural/geo-fit. Similar in some ways to Kruger with his Kansas background.

Like the fit in his home state.
Have to think it comes with a pretty decent cut in pay. Milwaukee Journal saying it's a done deal. I think growing his hair out was bad tourney karma for him.

Have to think it comes with a pretty decent cut in pay. Milwaukee Journal saying it's a done deal. I think growing his hair out was bad tourney karma for him.
Marquette is actually one of the highest spending basketball programs in the country surprisingly. I bet the pay will be comparable.

Marquette is actually one of the highest spending basketball programs in the country surprisingly. I bet the pay will be comparable.

Last one made $1.8M. Smart was at $3.2M.

Setting up for non-stop comparisons between Minnesota and Utah. Utah is a historically better program though.

Top Bottom