All Things 2016 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread

Clearly a big man is leaving the program

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sweet. This season was missing a certain something..... Other than B1G 10 wins that is....

Spring Recruiting!!!!

Typically that's how it works

It may not matter since Pitino is on his last stand, but how many recruits is he going to pull in given that our record sucks AND the guy knows he may not get 4 years of a scholarship?

It's a different story at Indiana or similar places where Crean does it. It's like Alabama in football. You wonder how they recruit 2 5-star RBs. Obviously both of those RBs think they can be the starter of the best running program in the nation. If they lose, they're good enough to transfer to NC State or Texas Tech and do fine there.

How many recruits are going to take the leap of faith on to our bandwagon with the fear that they may lose their scholarship if they are deemed not good enough?

The other issue is youth. Clearly Buggs and Gaston are not likely to develop into anything...but even with the transfers we have stepping in as juniors, we're just moving the needle back yet another year on the youth. Another year of almost all freshmen/sophomores.

It may not matter since Pitino is on his last stand, but how many recruits is he going to pull in given that our record sucks AND the guy knows he may not get 4 years of a scholarship?

It's a different story at Indiana or similar places where Crean does it. It's like Alabama in football. You wonder how they recruit 2 5-star RBs. Obviously both of those RBs think they can be the starter of the best running program in the nation. If they lose, they're good enough to transfer to NC State or Texas Tech and do fine there.

How many recruits are going to take the leap of faith on to our bandwagon with the fear that they may lose their scholarship if they are deemed not good enough?

The other issue is youth. Clearly Buggs and Gaston are not likely to develop into anything...but even with the transfers we have stepping in as juniors, we're just moving the needle back yet another year on the youth. Another year of almost all freshmen/sophomores.

This board acts like "creaning" is commonplace. How often do teams not named Kentucky and Indiana overrecruit? I don't think it's that common whatsoever, and I highly doubt that the Gophers do it without announcing the exit of a player first.

This board acts like "creaning" is commonplace. How often do teams not named Kentucky and Indiana overrecruit? I don't think it's that common whatsoever, and I highly doubt that the Gophers do it without announcing the exit of a player first.

Pitino's dad does it a bit, I think. We are clearly doing it if we are recruiting somebody new. Maybe the guy(s) are leaving on their own accord, but probably not.

Pitino's dad does it a bit, I think. We are clearly doing it if we are recruiting somebody new. Maybe the guy(s) are leaving on their own accord, but probably not.

Well 1.5 players leave before they finish their college eligibility every team every year on average. Whether that is by their own accord or they are forced out is up to you to argue about.

Big difference between recruiting someone and over signing. I'd love for you to know rather than think while throwing around accusations as if it's fact. I think its less common than you think it is, and I do not see the University of Minnesota allowing Pitino to sign someone to a scholarship prior to another kid announcing that they are leaving the program via transfer or graduation.

For all we know, a kid may have notified Pitino their desires to be done at the end of the year and Richard is acting accordingly. Equally plausible.

Big difference between recruiting someone and over signing. I'd love for you to know rather than think while throwing around accusations as if it's fact. I think its less common than you think it is, and I do not see the University of Minnesota allowing Pitino to sign someone to a schollarship prior to another kid announcing that they are leaving the program via transfer or graduation.

For all we know, a kid may have notified Pitino their desires to be done at the end of the year and Richard is acting accordingly. Equally plausible.

I think you're right. Moreover, Pitino is privy to other info, such as grades. Might be someone cannot keep up.

Or possibly he is hedging by establishing a relationship, because he is unwilling to assume everything will go as planned.

Agree with the 2nd post, not the 1st. If he's recruiting someone, it's because there is going to be an open spot. Why would he waste his energy otherwise?

The reason for it is the big differentiator. If it's someone who has notified him that they want to transfer, then OK. If he has nudged them and said they'll be Creaned, so go find a new school if you can, then that is not a good situation.

It would be shocking if both Diedhou and Buggs were on the team next year. In fact it's less than 50/50 even one of them is, IMO.
I would agree and if either or both are back it would be tough to see them getting a whole lot of playing time and I'm sure that is something coaches will or already have made clear to them.

If you are coaching an 0-11 team you know you are on a serious hot seat in the year to come. Whether or not kids have said they are leaving yet, you absolutely want to recruit like crazy to fill holes in next years' roster, because you know somebody is going to hit the road after a long season like this one. Any coach that is not out there recruiting into this situation is not a coach you want. Will he take someone this spring? Time will tell. But he has to be prepared to and you can bet he badly wants to find the right kid. A shooter or a big rebounding beast or both.

Agree with this line of thinking.

Gophers have been looking at a number of players over the last month or so. Ryan James had the name of JUCO shooter Terrence Johnson last week. Another guy the Gophers have watched fairly recently is Jordan Bowden who was just offered by Marquette.

My only concern with adding another player or players this Spring is if it comes at the cost of potentially available scholarships for 2017. I think the Gophers will want to add more than one of the in state kids in that 2017 class (John, Wright, Mar, Reuvers, etc) but only have one available scholarship at this time.

Gophers have been looking at a number of players over the last month or so. Ryan James had the name of JUCO shooter Terrence Johnson last week. Another guy the Gophers have watched fairly recently is Jordan Bowden who was just offered by Marquette.

My only concern with adding another player or players this Spring is if it comes at the cost of potentially available scholarships for 2017. I think the Gophers will want to add more than one of the in state kids in that 2017 class (John, Wright, Mar, Reuvers, etc) but only have one available scholarship at this time.

They can always just cut somebody else for another scholarship if they want. This scholarship is going to be Gaston's anyways so it shouldn't affect next year's.

Could they be recruiting for another player because they expect the NCAA to give them an exemption for Jarvis's scholly?

I seem to remember they asked for one.

Could they be recruiting for another player because they expect the NCAA to give them an exemption for Jarvis's scholly?

I seem to remember they asked for one.

I don't think Jarvis counts even today (We have 2 seniors graduating and have 3 scholarship athletes coming in)

I don't think Jarvis counts even today (We have 2 seniors graduating and have 3 scholarship athletes coming in)

Your probably right. The have 13 scholarship players right now including Jarvis. Someone has probably told Pitino they won't be coming back. Most undergrads would do this during the season, so maybe it is Buggs who can graduate and not sit out a year.

Please pitino, bank any scholarship that may open up for the 2017 class. The in-state class is loaded next year, probably the deepest class ever, we need to grab as many of them as we can

Adding a JUCO to next years class just doesn't seem like it would be that great of a thing short of it being an all B1G type player which based on this years results would be very unlikely.

Agree with the 2nd post, not the 1st. If he's recruiting someone, it's because there is going to be an open spot. Why would he waste his energy otherwise?

The reason for it is the big differentiator. If it's someone who has notified him that they want to transfer, then OK. If he has nudged them and said they'll be Creaned, so go find a new school if you can, then that is not a good situation.
If I had to take a guess, it would probably be like what Izzo did with Dhalman, they might sit a guy down like Buggs or Gaston whoever and just be brutally honest about their chances of playing time the following season, give them to option transfer and tell them they'll do everything they can to help them land somewhere. In Dhalman's case he decided to be a team guy and stick it out, but a lot of times guys agree to mutually part ways or take the hint depending on how one wants to view these things

Pitino is a smart guy, he knows next season has to go well

With the way this season is playing out, Pitino is going to do everything he can to win next season, even if it means showing a few guys the door. He knows he might not get a 2017-18 if next season doesn't go well. He knows the situation he's in, a new AD, back-to-back seasons of not meeting expectations (and expectations were really low this year), dwindling interest in the program. Not surprised at all he's still looking for players that can help him in 2016-17.

With the way this season is playing out, Pitino is going to do everything he can to win next season, even if it means showing a few guys the door. He knows he might not get a 2017-18 if next season doesn't go well. He knows the situation he's in, a new AD, back-to-back seasons of not meeting expectations (and expectations were really low this year), dwindling interest in the program. Not surprised at all he's still looking for players that can help him in 2016-17.

Spot on.

BGA1 is correct. When you have no wins and your career is in jeopardy, feeding your family is more important than a players feelings, especially if you can help that player move on to another university where they get a scholarship and get to play more. You don't want to make this a habit, but right now it looks like he has no choice.

In regards to 2017 if we have two scholarships for instate kids I would be happy. We ain't getting Trent maybe John and Wright or Reuvers. Mar to me looks so limited offensively I don't see an offer.

Top Bottom