All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Holy Angels/D1 Minnesota SG Delshon Strickland just said he was Offered by Virginia Tech and heard from Florida, Georgetown and Baylor</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/346015040249405440">June 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Has anyone watched him play?

Also offered by Iowa and Gonzaga very recently.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Holy Angels/D1 Minnesota SG Delshon Strickland just said he was Offered by Virginia Tech and heard from Florida, Georgetown and Baylor</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/346015040249405440">June 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Has anyone watched him play?

Yeah I can't really see us offering unless we miss on some other guys. Outstanding athlete, but a pretty average skill level. Shot looks pretty good but isn't real consistent. If he really got his shot down he'd be worth an offer.

@therecruitscoop: Minnesota, Georgia Southern & Tennessee Tech have recently offered 2014 PG

of the Upward Stars (SC).

Go Gophers!!

Are we early on this kid?

Looks like 'Dre Hollins esque type game.... Especially at around the 1:18 mark, I thought of 'dre the way he pulled up for the 3 and then the subsequent ball pressure plays.

Are we early on this kid?

Looks like 'Dre Hollins esque type game.... Especially at around the 1:18 mark, I thought of 'dre the way he pulled up for the 3 and then the subsequent ball pressure plays.

Definitely looks like he has a Dre Hollins skill set. He shot even looks similar to Hollins'.

Yeah I can't really see us offering unless we miss on some other guys. Outstanding athlete, but a pretty average skill level. Shot looks pretty good but isn't real consistent. If he really got his shot down he'd be worth an offer.

Agreed. Hell of an athlete, but not upset we haven't offered.

I was wondering when we would offer a C. To me it's a big need in this class.

@therecruitscoop: 2014 SF Terry Larrier of Team Scan (NY) is expected to visit Penn State today.

Go Gophers!!

Foreman has committed to Rutgers.

Gophers were never really in real consideration by Foreman. If it weren't for EYBL, he wouldnt have even thought about seeing the campus. So in other words, Yawn...

I am not surprised we didn't land Foreman as the relationship between him and Coach Young didn't seem like it was that strong. I am surprised he landed at Rutgers though. With the offers he had (and might receive later), you think he'd opt for a more stable situation.

I don't know how realistic it is, but I'd love to see Coach Pitino land one of his 2014 targets by the end of July.

According to 247Sports, PG prospect JaQuan Newton has just taken one visit so far (Villanova) and tells ESPN he will visit SMU, Cincinnati, Xavier, and Minnesota in the near future.

He is one of my favorite players in the class. Would be great to get him on campus for a visit.

According to 247Sports, PG prospect JaQuan Newton has just taken one visit so far (Villanova) and tells ESPN he will visit SMU, Cincinnati, Xavier, and Minnesota in the near future.

He is one of my favorite players in the class. Would be great to get him on campus for a visit.

I actually kind of like our chances among those schools listed. Though I'm sure Villanova is easily the favorite since he is a Philly kid.

Green Bay Press Gazette: Boys basketball: Stock on the rise for Seymour senior Cohen

Cohen has made no secret about his fondness for Marquette and said it is the leader right now. Murphy said Minnesota and Gonzaga are two others schools in strong consideration.

“I feel strong about Marquette, but I haven’t made any decisions yet,” said Cohen, who expects to make a choice before his senior season. “I’m still trying to keep all my options open, but I feel strongly toward Marquette right now.”

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...nues-rise-Seymour-senior-Cohen?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

There are interviews with Kaleb Joseph and Wade Baldwin on Rivals. If anyone is an insider, it would be much appreciated to see what they have to say!

There are interviews with Kaleb Joseph and Wade Baldwin on Rivals. If anyone is an insider, it would be much appreciated to see what they have to say!

The Joseph one basically said that Minnesota, Marquette, Syracuse and Providence have been recruiting him the hardest and he plans to visit them. Here's what he said about us:

"It's a program I'm interested in just because I like the fact that they are young coaches, all the coaches are really energetic and they really get after it. All the coaches are fairly new to the program and they are looking forward to turning it around. I think that's something that I would like to be a part of. I just like the approach they are taking right now, it's really that of a go-getter and I like that."

As for Baldwin, he said that along with us, Rutgers, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech and Stanford are recruiting him the hardest. He plans to take visits in August into September and probably decide around October before his senior season starts. This is what he said about us:

"I see them doing well," Baldwin said of the Minnesota future under the new staff. "Coach Pitino, there is a lot of talk about him turning the program around for the better. The assistant from Seton Hall who is out there, Dan McHale, he's been contacting me. He always talks about going forward and making a run at the Big Ten and all that so, I think they are doing pretty well."

they talk about turning the program around? i dont get it we were in the second round of the tournament last year does that mean nothing? i believe that makes us one of the best 32 in the country does it not.. turning the program around is more like take us from being good to elite. thats how i see it

There's also an interview with Perkins on GI that looks interesting. So if an insider could shed light on that too it'd be much appreciated!

they talk about turning the program around? i dont get it we were in the second round of the tournament last year.

No question there were some frustrating and inconsistent performances last season (hence, helping lead to Tubby's firing), but sometimes I wonder what folks are talking about when inferring this program is in total shambles. Yes, there's no excusing the Gophers finishing under .500 last season in the Big Ten with the talent we had at hand, but the bottom line is the Gopher program experienced its first NCAA tourney win in 16 years. NCAA wins don't grow on trees, at least not here in Minnesota. As a fan I thought it felt great to have the Gophers stick around the tournament for more than 2 hours.

Pitino isn't walking into the typical "fired coach" situation. There's something positive to build on fom last season. He's not starting on the ground floor (see Indiana, Crean, Tom) with no hope of some immediate success. There are some pieces in place. Won't be easy, but Tubby left behind enough parts that -- when mixed together with Lil' Ricky's newbies -- I don't think it foolish to think the Gophers could at least equal/surpass what they accomplished last season, probably moreso in the conference standings (tied for 7th) than in the NCAA tourney.

There's also an interview with Perkins on GI that looks interesting. So if an insider could shed light on that too it'd be much appreciated!

Not really anything new. He's still interested, would inform the coaches if he wasn't. Hearing from and interested in a lot of other schools, trying to get out to UCONN and Kentucky. Has become good friends with Vaughn and it's possible that they could play together in college. Like I said, not really anything new.

Not going to post non-public stuff from there (and personally haven't read it), but I will say from my viewpoint Perkins and Minnesota don't seem like a great fit. He's an excellent basketball player... a little on... the 'flashy' side. Just searching for the right word(s) that won't get taken the wrong way... just think there are a lot better fits for him than the U and vice versa.

JaQuan Newton's AAU Coach Rob Brown believes it’s a high probability that Minnesota is a school that he takes an official visit to this fall. He goes on to tell Gopher247 the interest is mutual. He talks about Richard Pitino's initial interest and that Dan McHale has really been on top of Newton.

JaQuan Newton's AAU Coach Rob Brown believes it’s a high probability that Minnesota is a school that he takes an official visit to this fall. He goes on to tell Gopher247 the interest is mutual. He talks about Richard Pitino's initial interest and that Dan McHale has really been on top of Newton.

Newton would be a good get. Rivals ranks him as a 4 star player and #41 in the country. He has a good offer list including Georgetown, Miami (FL), and Villanova, but those are schools I think we can beat.

Newton would be a good get. Rivals ranks him as a 4 star player and #41 in the country. He has a good offer list including Georgetown, Miami (FL), and Villanova, but those are schools I think we can beat.

Coach Brown didn't mention Georgetown, but did add Oregon, Temple, LaSalle, USC, with UCLA being the latest to show him interest.

It appears he's open to the West Coast as well after listing 3 PAC-12 schools. I think we have a good shot if Newton visits MN.

Weren't the Gophers looking at 2014 G Brandone Francis? He just committed to Florida.

Per his Twitter account, Josh Perkins will make his college choice on August 25th, same day as his birthday. "Mark his words"

Top Bottom