All Things 2014 Basketball Recruiting Thread

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino is pleased to announce the signing of three student-athletes, Gaston Diedhiou, Bakary Konate and Zach Lofton, to National Letters of Intent.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042814aab.html

i think that's just an editing issue. I don't think 4-4s sign NLIs, from what I've read. i don't think that means much, perhaps other than NLI members can continue to recruit Zach

Still hoping for Martin but considering Deangelo Austin as a back up?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> are involved with 2014 high 3-star D'Angelo Allen from Dallas. An option if something were to open up.</p>— Matt Gravett (@GravettMatt) <a href="https://twitter.com/GravettMatt/statuses/460153865287917571">April 26, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I know.If this is true.....they must know something concerning a transfer or maybe just being proactive.Then there was talk of Martin needing to graduate in early May before we can talk to him.

I know.If this is true.....they must know something concerning a transfer or maybe just being proactive.Then there was talk of Martin needing to graduate in early May before we can talk to him.

Keeping an eye on (Justin) Martin is the main thing. He'd be the most obvious and immediate answer to the Gophers' most glaring need.

Wrong. We are going after shooting guards now, don't need an open scolly first or else they would not be on the hunt.
Actually Justin Martin,Deangelo Allen and Johnson are all small forwards so Pitino is focused on that position,it appears.

Wrong. We are going after shooting guards now, don't need an open scolly first or else they would not be on the hunt.

Wrong. As things currently stand we don't have any available scholarships. Something needs to happen for an addition to be possible.

I know that but his position is small forward,not shooting guard as Katze wrongly stated.It tells us Pitino would like to fill that position yet for 2014.

I know that but his position is small forward,not shooting guard as Katze wrongly stated.It tells us Pitino would like to fill that position yet for 2014.

1) I know they are SF and Pitino is going after '14 SF, it was a typo or brain slip, either way I'm blaming it on the beer.

2) Wrong PIG, we wouldn't be going after these guys if we couldn't make room for them. Scollys are year to year.

1) I know they are SF and Pitino is going after '14 SF, it was a typo or brain slip, either way I'm blaming it on the beer.

2) Wrong PIG, we wouldn't be going after these guys if we couldn't make room for them. Scollys are year to year.

No one ever said we couldn't make room, just that as things stand there is no room for anyone else.

I was talking officially so that wouldn't be wrong but I know what you are saying. If Martin wants to be here I'd be surprised if somehow a scholarship doesn't open up but I'm sure they don't want to open a scholarship up until they know for sure they have someone else lined up to fill it.

So you agree, the fact that their is no room for anyone else is basically meaningless.

Yes, I agree that if someone like Martin wants to be here the staff will make it happen. The fact still remains that for an addition to happen a departure of one of the current players will need to happen.

Yes, I agree that if someone like Martin wants to be here the staff will make it happen. The fact still remains that for an addition to happen a departure of one of the current players will need to happen.

Can we kick Wally off twice?

Can we kick Wally off twice?

That's a funny line.

Poor Wally - he just looked miserable this season, didn't he? Chin in hands, face expressionless. His freshman year he was always up, waving a towel and high-fiving. This year he looked like he was contemplating what time his colonoscopy appointment was.

That's a funny line.

Poor Wally - he just looked miserable this season, didn't he? Chin in hands, face expressionless. His freshman year he was always up, waving a towel and high-fiving. This year he looked like he was contemplating what time his colonoscopy appointment was.

Should've stuck it out the rest of the season could've gotten some playing time early in the NIT and late in the season.

This year he looked like he was contemplating what time his colonoscopy appointment was.

That's funny. That's also the same feeling I got when he would put up a 3 point shot that would get blocked into the top of his head from a defender behind him.

Good high jumper though.

I think Buggs is gone. I just can't see Pitino going with only five guards when he always plays three at a time. Something is going to happen. King or Buggs will never play the three . Unless there was another guard expected to be on the way I don't believe they would have taken Lofton to have him sit a year.

That's the most likely scenario that it's a current player, yes, but it's also possible it could be one of the incoming guys. We just have no way of knowing.

That's the most likely scenario that it's a current player, yes, but it's also possible not everyone we've heard about will make it to campus for whatever reason.

True, I was including them in the current players, probably should have been more clear. I don't see that happening though.

If Buggs leaves and is replaced with a new guy who plays significant minutes next year...that is playing for keeps. Pretty much a whole new roster in one season. That would be impressive as a statement by Pitino that I play to win ... full speed ahead....take no prisoners....get outta my way.

I think Buggs is gone. I just can't see Pitino going with only five guards when he always plays three at a time. Something is going to happen. King or Buggs will never play the three . Unless there was another guard expected to be on the way I don't believe they would have taken Lofton to have him sit a year.

Yes, he always played three guards last year but maybe the primary reasons why were 1) those three were Andre, Deandre, and Austin and 2) he was critically short of capable forwards. Now that Austin is no longer here and he has more forwards things might be different. I think it is quite possible that he may have a three forward (or center and two forward if you prefer) lineup at times this year.

Top Bottom