All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

Pitino tweet regarding player names:

Richard Pitino ‏@MNCoachPitino 1m
Going 2 b a challenging year. Have 2 guys named dre, 2 with the same last name, 1 with the last name Eliason and 1 Ellenson. #confusion

@JucoRecruiting: Richard Pitino & Minnesota landed a good one today in Dre Mathieu (5-10/PG/2013) of Central Arizona College. Quick, athletic, can score it

Go Gophers!!

Concur with jamiche's thoughts. Very concerned about how we'll be able to board next season in the B1G with the current roster.

Buggs is a key guy next season, and I'd add Ellenson to that short list because of his athleticism. For the most part we know what we're going to get with the Hollins', Coleman, and EE. We need a couple wildcards to step up into being legit contributors. Those two are the best candidates among the returnees.

Pretty sure we will add one more player, a forward. So this helps with rebounding. Buckles leader in clubhouse.

If we add a competent power forward, I will agree with the other posters who say that we should make the tournament next year. Our guard play should be amongst the top half of the conference; concern is front court

If we add a competent power forward, I will agree with the other posters who say that we should make the tournament next year. Our guard play should be amongst the top half of the conference; concern is front court

I'm really interested in Mo's development. People have been saying he's losing a lot of weight. Having him and Eliason share minutes should help us stay active on boards. I'm hesitant about our 4 spot; hopefully Buggs develops over the summer; to be honest I don't know much about his ability (a 3 star out of high school right?).

I'm really interested in Mo's development. People have been saying he's losing a lot of weight. Having him and Eliason share minutes should help us stay active on boards. I'm hesitant about our 4 spot; hopefully Buggs develops over the summer; to be honest I don't know much about his ability (a 3 star out of high school right?).

Have heard the same things about Mo saying he "looks really good"

Have heard the same things about Mo saying he "looks really good"

I saw him walking on campus a four weeks ago, looked the same IMO. I hope he is shedding lbs, but thinking he has a long ways to go.

Correct. Haven't seen him mysegrelf and "really good" is certainly subjective, but sounds like he's making progress.

Great to hear. If we don't sign another center then we're really going to need him to get in shape.

After the Mathieu commitment, how many scholarships does that leave us for 2014 assuming we don't get anyone else this year?

After the Mathieu commitment, how many scholarships does that leave us for 2014 assuming we don't get anyone else this year?

4. Two are open right now and two more would open up when Austin and Mav graduate after next season.

He's going to have to go with nicknames / pledge names - a la Animal House.

Pitino: "Andre, your Gopher Tau Chi name is Pinto."
Hollins: "Why Pinto?"
Pitinio: "(burp) Why not?!"
Walker: "Well what's my Gopher Tau Chi name?"
Pitino: "Mo, I've given this a lot of thought. For now on, your name is Flounder."
Walker: "Flounder?"

Not going to bank scholarships for 2014

With the young energetic coaching staff Minnesota seems like it is a lot more attractive to potential recruits. The two main questions for recruits at this point would seem to be:

1. Coach P has only one year HC experience at mid major FIU. Can he win at the high major level?

2. His proposed style of play is exciting and attractive to players. Will this style of play work in the Big Ten?

Coach P's strategy would seem to be to answer these questions with a big yes by winning this year. He has given two scholarships to guards that fit his style. He has two left. I think one is for Buckles. The other is going to a front court player this year who the coaches believe can help the team win now.
If the Gophers have a season similar to what FIU did last year and prove that their new system produces wins then look out. Minnesota will become the new hot destination.The in-state recruits will be battling highly rated national recruits to come here and play for the energetic young coaches with the dynamic system.
Please let this happen.

Correct. Haven't seen him myself and "really good" is certainly subjective, but sounds like he's making progress.

I haven't seen the guy, but I'm hoping this isn't like when Alipate was losing weight.

This is the second time somebody has mentioned the Salvation Army as hosting the HP Summer League. Is it moving back there this year? I'd love that, but I can't imagine HP wanting to move it away from Eagan. Anybody know for certain where it'll be played this year?

This is the second time somebody has mentioned the Salvation Army as hosting the HP Summer League. Is it moving back there this year? I'd love that, but I can't imagine HP wanting to move it away from Eagan. Anybody know for certain where it'll be played this year?

I've seen tweets it is back at the Salvation Army which seems odd to me as well with the nice building in Eagan there.

I've seen tweets it is back at the Salvation Army which seems odd to me as well with the nice building in Eagan there.

I'd love that. There was more seating at the SA, and it just was a more enjoyable experience, in my opinion. And that's not just because it's way closer to my place.

Great post and loved the quote

With the young energetic coaching staff Minnesota seems like it is a lot more attractive to potential recruits. The two main questions for recruits at this point would seem to be:

1. Coach P has only one year HC experience at mid major FIU. Can he win at the high major level?

2. His proposed style of play is exciting and attractive to players. Will this style of play work in the Big Ten?

Coach P's strategy would seem to be to answer these questions with a big yes by winning this year. He has given two scholarships to guards that fit his style. He has two left. I think one is for Buckles. The other is going to a front court player this year who the coaches believe can help the team win now.
If the Gophers have a season similar to what FIU did last year and prove that their new system produces wins then look out. Minnesota will become the new hot destination.The in-state recruits will be battling highly rated national recruits to come here and play for the energetic young coaches with the dynamic system.
Please let this happen.

Yes & it should start the first or second week in June.

Thanks for the answer, that's great. The HP facilities are nice, but kind of a hike. Hopefully Dre gets into town for at least some of these games.

In his interview with Chris, he said he would graduate sometime in June. I'm just guessing that he won't be able to make the trip.

Top Bottom