All Things 2013 Basketball Recruiting Thread UPDATED 5/15: Malik Smith a Gopher!

My best friend's cousin was the manager for the Gophers at one time. Only thing we could get out of him was, to get some privacy, they had to lock the door on Sid sometimes.

So about those e-mails..........

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

and than followed that with...

he than proceeds to make 12 tweets after tweeting that the first being 10minutes after saying he might not tweet again today, not a big deal, just thought it was funny, anyways, here are some tweets that actually matter to gopher basketball...

In regards to Freeman....For him to go visit Baylor, it would have to be on his own dime or someone he knows dime, he has no more official visits left

In regards to Freeman....For him to go visit Baylor, it would have to be on his own dime or someone he knows dime, he has no more official visits left

Good news for us, however if he does pay his own way to visit, you'd have to imagine that would be a bad omen for us. If that happens he probably isn't sold on the U.

Speaking of Mo, and I doubt this ever gets to him, but Tim Grover worked with Eddy Curry (fattest NBA center ever I am pretty sure) and his diet was simple: 10 days, zero sugar. None. It is going to be an awful 10 days, but you'll come out of it better off. Everyone raved about Curry after that off season - then he got fat again. Whoops.

(Reading Grovers book right now, figured I'd share the story)

I'd like to think we're preferable to Ole Miss. And Pepperdine is beautiful and all but it's still the WCC.

Ole Miss has an amazing campus too and the girls aren't too bad down there either.

The most realistic and biggest "get" at this point has gotta be Allerik Freeman. He's a very potent scorer and reminds me of a little bigger Dre in a way. I love the job Pitino's done so far recruiting.
I wonder what the timetable on Freeman's committment is.

The most realistic and biggest "get" at this point has gotta be Allerik Freeman. He's a very potent scorer and reminds me of a little bigger Dre in a way. I love the job Pitino's done so far recruiting.
I wonder what the timetable on Freeman's committment is.

I believe the NCAA LOI Final signing date for Division 1 is May 15, 2013.

NLI Signing Dates for Prospective Student-Athletes Enrolling 2013-2014
Sport: Basketball (Regular Period)

Initial Signing Date: April 17, 2013

Final Signing Date: Div. I: May 15, 2013

NM...didn't see there was already a post about it.

Not sure if this has been posted before...but this is from ESPN.com NCAA Men's Rumors

UPDATE: It appears Joseph Uchebo has made his decision. The onetime ESPN 100 recruit (2011) was said to be close to a decision between Pittsburgh, Minnesota and Oklahoma State heading into this week. Now he's in the process of signing his letter of intent with the Panthers, according to Matthew Steinbrink of PantherLair.com. That uses up one of Pitt's many available scholarships, and gives Jamie Dixon a big man with upside to work with. What's more, Uchebo should be good to go right away. He won't be asked to step in and instantly just replace Steven Adams on his own, but he's someone capable of making an impact in 2013-14 if all goes well.

He signed it yesterday.

I believe the NCAA LOI Final signing date for Division 1 is May 15, 2013.

NLI Signing Dates for Prospective Student-Athletes Enrolling 2013-2014
Sport: Basketball (Regular Period)

Initial Signing Date: April 17, 2013

Final Signing Date: Div. I: May 15, 2013

For a transfer like Black, this deadline doesn't apply right? Could he technically wait until August to decide, as long as the fall semester hasn't started?

@MemphisRoar: On a completely different note, word I've heard has Oregon well in front for Memphis transfer Tarik Black.

Go Gophers!!

If we get Mathieu and/or especially Freeman, I'd guess we're done with guards for the 2013 class?

Seems like we need to add a Big Ten banger for next season? Wouldn't necessarily have to be a scorer. Sounds like Black isn't a realistic option at this point. Get the feeling that's more wishful thinking on our part.

Does the fact that Freeman already signed an LOI have any effect on those deadlines?

I have a feeling we'll be getting Buckles as our last commit and he will get a waiver to play next season.

ESPN RUMORS
UPDATE: Yesterday, we mentioned Minnesota as a possible landing spot for former UCLA signee Allerik Freeman, and there may now be even more reason to believe the Golden Gophers could end up with the coveted ESPN 100 recruit.

Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News is always plugged into the Minnesota sports scene, and tweeted out the following on Monday: "Baylor working hard to get Allerik Freeman to visit. 1 person connected thinks it'll be them or the Gophers in end. Be a great get for MN."

Freeman has also reportedly visited Xavier, but at this point the Musketeers look to be a longshot. While the Gophers do already have Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins and Joe Coleman to distribute minutes to in the backcourt, they are expected to play small with a guard-heavy rotation in the years ahead so the opportunity would still be there for Freeman to come in and make an immediate impact.

ESPN RUMORS
UPDATE: Yesterday, we mentioned Minnesota as a possible landing spot for former UCLA signee Allerik Freeman, and there may now be even more reason to believe the Golden Gophers could end up with the coveted ESPN 100 recruit.

Darren Wolfson of 5 Eyewitness News is always plugged into the Minnesota sports scene, and tweeted out the following on Monday: "Baylor working hard to get Allerik Freeman to visit. 1 person connected thinks it'll be them or the Gophers in end. Be a great get for MN."

Freeman has also reportedly visited Xavier, but at this point the Musketeers look to be a longshot. While the Gophers do already have Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins and Joe Coleman to distribute minutes to in the backcourt, they are expected to play small with a guard-heavy rotation in the years ahead so the opportunity would still be there for Freeman to come in and make an immediate impact.

Please please please!!!!!

ESPN RUMORS

What has reporting come to nowadays?

Would be a big coup for the Gophers, as Freeman would likely come in and start immediately alongside Dre Hollins in the backcourt. Solidly built 2/3 and has played well against best competition in America (Boo Williams AAU and Findlay).

Would be a big coup for the Gophers, as Freeman would likely come in and start immediately alongside Dre Hollins in the backcourt. Solidly built 2/3 and has played well against best competition in America (Boo Williams AAU and Findlay).

Not saying I disagree, as I think it's quite possible he does start, is your thinking that we would employ a 4 guard lineup with Dre, Freeman, Austin & Joe or do you see Joe coming off the bench?

I know this has all been said, but I need to say it:

Pitino needs to land a 4 and/or a 5. Oto and Buggs splitting the minutes at PF is TERRIFYING. Oto was among the worst players on the team last year and Buggs is a complete unknown. Has Pitino even seen him play? Buggs missed individual workouts with mono.

At the 5, Elliott can hustle and run so he'll have to be our rock. Mo couldn't be a worse fit for Pitino's system and he needs to radically change his body if he's going to contribute what-so-ever. To say we're thin up front is a giant understatement.

This front court is going to be DESTROYED in the Big Ten. We will go from one of the best rebounding and shot blocking teams to one of the worst in one year. I'd love to land this Freeman kid because he sounds like a stud, but we've got NOTHING up front.

Pitino needs to land a 4 and/or a 5. ... At the 5, Elliott can hustle and run so he'll have to be our rock. ... Mo needs to radically change his body if he's going to contribute what-so-ever. To say we're thin up front is a giant understatement.

This front court is going to be DESTROYED in the Big Ten. We will go from one of the best rebounding and shot blocking teams to one of the worst in one year. I'd love to land this Freeman kid because he sounds like a stud, but we've got NOTHING up front.

My biggest concern as well. We need some beef for next season.

Pitino needs to land a 4 and/or a 5. Oto and Buggs splitting the minutes at PF is TERRIFYING. Oto was among the worst players on the team last year and Buggs is a complete unknown. Has Pitino even seen him play? Buggs missed individual workouts with mono.

At the 5, Elliott can hustle and run so he'll have to be our rock. Mo couldn't be a worse fit for Pitino's system and he needs to radically change his body if he's going to contribute what-so-ever. To say we're thin up front is a giant understatement.

Buckles is still an option. If he can become eligible right away I think he's ours. Other than that, I share your concern. Uchebo is gone and Black is a long shot. I haven't heard of us going after anyone else in the 2013 class.

Top Bottom