Alipate

Reaction score
There's been some speculation on which/how many players might transfer. One guy who popped into my mind is Alipate. Based on Kill's (very limited) statements on his offensive philosophy after being named our coach, he seems to favor a speedy multiple threat QB. That has to be music to Gray's ears. In fact, that's who those comments were probably directed at.

Moses has an arm like a cannon, but "speedy" isn't the first thing that comes to mind when you look at him. He strikes me more as a classic pocket passer. He's got enough eligibility left that if he was going to bail this would be the time. I'm not saying he should, and he strikes me as being very committed to paying his dues to get a crack at the starting job. But with a new coach, who knows whether Kill is going to recruit alternatives at QB? One tell would be whether Kill goes after a JUCO QB this recruiting cycle.

I would see Alipate either choosing to remain a backup or switch positions before transferring, unless he goes D2 or D3 in MN, he's a family oriented guy and seems to love the U.

I think people have the wrong idea about Kill's offense. His QB this year is no more athletic than Alipate. Moses is big and has a strong arm, but he's athletic, too. He might not be "speedy", but he can run. He would have no problem fitting into Kill's scheme.

Who needs fast

Weber wasn't exactly the sprinter. See open space. Run into the open space. Seems simple enough.

I think people have the wrong idea about Kill's offense. His QB this year is no more athletic than Alipate. Moses is big and has a strong arm, but he's athletic, too. He might not be "speedy", but he can run. He would have no problem fitting into Kill's scheme.

you're right. i think he is athletic enough for kill's offense. with a tweak here and there, his arm and pocket presence (i'm assuming here) could make up for the lack of gray-like speed.

I just have a vision of Corey Sauter(?) running the option for Mason. Ouch. My head hurts.

Alipate is no Chandler Harnisch nor a spread option/read type.

Chandler Harnish is quite a bit faster than Moses but Moses isn't nearly a Cory Sauter type. The kid is pretty athletic and he could possibly be a fit in Kill's offense.

Not sure if this is "on topic" enough, but not having watched Alipate play much, he seems like a Roethelisberger type, big\strong arm\mobile enough?

Alipate doesn't have great speed, but he has good feet. Since when does a QB need to be fast? Weber put up good numbers in Brewster's 1st year running the spread. Alipate is as athletic as Weber. I'm not worried about it at all.

Shortell is very much more of a big pocket passer, but it still seems he is dead set on going to Minnesota. Then again, I think it would be very wise for Minnesota to keep nice with his high school (Bishop Meige) as it dishes out a fair amount of D-1 talent every year and one of the tops in KC. As many know, the head coach there is Tim Grunhard.

With Kill's connections to Kansas and Missouri, I'm sure KC will be a VERY hot spot for the Gophers.

Jerry Kill is a football coach & will adapt his base offense to fit the skills of his quarterback.

QBS

agreed shortell looks very good on film and we sure will have a ton of depth at QB in the future!

Gray
Allipiate
Parish
Shortell

I think Alipate is one of the few guys that might transfer. Not athletic enough for Kill's offense, and you don't waste an arm for another position.

I thought people on this board were reporting that Alipate had a position switch to a Pat Williams style DT?

I'm actually interested in seeing what happens with Lacosse. I really hope he stays a commit. I am curious to see if he ends up at TE or if he stays at QB. I think it is widely thought that he will be more of a TE/FB or possibly even a WR.

However, with Kill's offense, he might be a perfect QB.

Why do people keep saying that Alipate isn't athletic enough for Kill's system? The kids IS a good athlete. He's got good feet. He played basketball in HS. He moved well in HS. Kill isn't looking for Ricky Foggie. If Harnish can be a good read/option QB, Alipate can, too.

Why do people keep saying that Alipate isn't athletic enough for Kill's system? The kids IS a good athlete. He's got good feet. He played basketball in HS. He moved well in HS. Kill isn't looking for Ricky Foggie. If Harnish can be a good read/option QB, Alipate can, too.

I think Alipate can be succesful in this system, but he isn't as quick or fast as Harnish.

He might look as quick/fast as Harnish if he was playing against MAC competition......or the Gopher D.

J.D. Pride

J.D. Pride is a kid who only had one division 1 offer. The only reason he got into the school was because his dad went to the U. I would be SHOCKED if he ever lined up at QB for the gophers.

Apilate will do fine.

Remember are game against NIU this year? The NIU quarterback wasn't all that athletic. You gotta think that Apilate is just as athletic as him. I think Apilate is just as athletic as Weber right? And Weber certainly did fine in the spread as a frosh. He lead our team in rushing as a freshman. I wouldn't be shocked if Apilate transfered, but I would be surprised if he transferred because of Kill's offense and what type of qb kill wanted.

Alipate will do fine? How? He is one of the softest looking kids on the gopher sidelines, it looks like he let himself go in 8th grade. He is overweight and slow and would never cut it in a spread offense. NIU's QB Harnish was pretty athletic, we rushed for 760 yards this past year which put him 2nd on the team in rushing. If Alipate is named the starter next fall then this program really has no hope and I will refuse to go to any games; Gray is one of the best athletes we have ever had, put the ball and game in his hands and good thins will happen. If he is left at WR and thrown to 6 times a game it will be the biggest waste of talent.

Alipate will do fine? How? He is one of the softest looking kids on the gopher sidelines, it looks like he let himself go in 8th grade. He is overweight and slow and would never cut it in a spread offense. NIU's QB Harnish was pretty athletic, we rushed for 760 yards this past year which put him 2nd on the team in rushing. If Alipate is named the starter next fall then this program really has no hope and I will refuse to go to any games; Gray is one of the best athletes we have ever had, put the ball and game in his hands and good thins will happen. If he is left at WR and thrown to 6 times a game it will be the biggest waste of talent.

Wow...what a Debbie Downer! Looks like someone's having a bad day and needs to take it out on the forum today!

Keep in mind, if they stay they get a free very good education. Pride and Alipate most likely aren't going to be in the NFL so why transfer?

Jerry Kill is a lot like Gary Patterson at TCU, he likes athletes and he's not afraid to move them around to find the right spot for them. As I recall, Moses was also a pretty decent basketball player, the guy is a much better athlete than many are giving him credit for. If Alipate for some reason can't cut it as a QB in this system I wouldn't be shocked to see him lining up as a TE. All that being said, I wouldn't be blame him if he looked around for a better fit for him, he's got a cannon of an arm and in the right system I think he could really shine.

Alipate is not transferring.

Do you know anything about him at all?

Enough times for you? He is here because he wants to be close to his large family. That is the #1 reason.

One of the dumbest, least thought-out threads this week not written about the coaching search.

I don't think Alipate will ever be the starting QB, but I also think he will graduate as a gopher.
Maybe I will be wrong.

I hope he stay. But he will never get the shot at being the starter here.

Top Bottom