Ads freezing computer on linux/firefox

Gophers_4life

Banned
Reaction score
Ubuntu 20.04 and Firefox 99.0 (64 bit).

It has always been true that the ads (not always, but usually) on GH cause my CPU fan to rev up. But it never affected performance.

Lately though, I've had multiple instances where the ads literally cause the whole system freeze up. Even with just one tab on one forum page open.

WTF

Any suggestions?? I don't really want to download Chrome(ium) or another browser. FF has always worked just fine.

Looks like FF 99 just came out on April 5. I had one extension running that I don't use often, and have now disabled it. So maybe there was an issue there, we will see.

EDIT: So far this seems to have worked. 🤞

Last edited:

Looks like FF 99 just came out on April 5. I had one extension running that I don't use often, and have now disabled it. So maybe there was an issue there, we will see.

EDIT: So far this seems to have worked. 🤞
My GopherHole screen is still full of ads. Paid the $100 Monday, the 18th. Any ideas?

My best idea is to do what I've current resorted to: use Firefox Incognito mode.

It still loads the lower floating banner and it still loads the big gaps between posts, these are probably embedded in the style of the webpage itself. But it blocks the ad content from loading. So it's all just blank spaces.

The biggest downside of this is that Twitter content won't load. You'd have to click on a tweet someone embedded in a post, to see what it said.

My GopherHole screen is still full of ads. Paid the $100 Monday, the 18th. Any ideas?

Lou, we sent you a PM and replied to the other thread. We are making changes on the backend and it's taking some time to get all the systems back up.

If anyone has made a donation, we really appreciate it, please make sure you include your username so we know who to match up with. If you did make a contribution for $100+, please PM us your name so we can match and remove ads when that gets back up.

Last edited:

Lou, we sent you a PM and replied to the other thread. We are making changes on the backend and it's taking some time to get all the systems back up.

If anyone has made a donation, we really appreciate it, please make sure you include your username so we know who to match up with. If you did make a contribution for $100+, please PM us your name so we can match and remove ads when that gets back up.

Looks like the ads have been turned off for my account. Here’s hoping they stay that way! Thanks, folks, and keep up the good work!

Oops, I spoke too soon. The ads are back.

Ads are freezing up my iPad using safari in forums. It is unusable, only partial pages open, locks up. Ad changes causes curser to leave these reply boxes and makes you repeatedly have to select the box before you can continue typing.

Top Bottom