Adrian Martinez out on Friday

If Minnesota fans didn't have bad luck we'd have none at all. Nebraska had a legit shot of doing us a solid and knocking off Iowa... But oh, I'm sorry their 5 year starter at QB is unavailable. Good grief man. No shot. A kid making his first career start against Iowa? Pack a lunch.
It doesn't always work out that way. The Vikings lose to the Cowboys when they were starting Cooper Rush. If a gimpy Dak Prescott started instead, they very well might win.

This is a curious situation.
Martinez ran and passed very well in the second half of the WI game after suffering the injury in the first half.
He is quoted as saying he now hears a click in his right shoulder and feels he would not be able to pass well enough to play.
There are no reports of any Xray findings or specific injuries found on examination of his shoulder.
I think he may just be done with NE football.
If he has any thoughts about entering the draft he would be wise to avoid any more injuries and he was very upset when the QB coach was fired.

This is a curious situation.
Martinez ran and passed very well in the second half of the WI game after suffering the injury in the first half.
He is quoted as saying he now hears a click in his right shoulder and feels he would not be able to pass well enough to play.
There are no reports of any Xray findings or specific injuries found on examination of his shoulder.
I think he may just be done with NE football.
If he has any thoughts about entering the draft he would be wise to avoid any more injuries and he was very upset when the QB coach was fired.
Maybe adrenaline was enough to get him through that game? After the game may have swollen up.

Sucks (Not even a chance for Martinez doing a Willis Reed/Kirk Gibson type thing?)

Hard to say if this is bad news or good. Martinez makes things happen, but frequently it’s for the other team.
It's bad news IMO.

I think Nebraska with Martinez is a much better team than Nebraska without him. He makes enough mistakes to break their hearts, but I think Nebraska is really going to struggle to move the ball without him.

Bad news for the Gophers, though beating the Badgers and going 8-4, plus a bowl game would be a good-looking season. Smothers, the Nebraska back-up, is bigger (more muscular) than Martinez, is faster than Martinez, but can't throw the long ball. So some designed QB runs, shorter pass routes, probably; but Martinez is such a presence, so talented and such a captain and field general, that the bookies are right. Iowa should win.

This is brutal. It would be nice if luck in sports was evenly distributed. If Penn State's QB doesn't get hurt, the Iowa at Nebraska game wouldn't matter. Now Iowa potentially wins a second game due to playing a backup QB. That's 22.2% of their conference games and the difference between 7-2 and 5-4.

Of course if Minnesota just won the game in Iowa City like they should have, Iowa's luck wouldn't matter. It also wouldn't matter for purposes of the West Division if Minnesota simply beat Illinois as 14.5 point favorites. I went back after that game and tried to find the last time Minnesota won a game when they were underdogs of 14 or more points. I had no luck. The closest I could find was the win at Michigan under Jerry Kill which was in 2014 and was like a 12 point spread.

So good luck for Iowa, bad luck for Minnesota, but Minnesota also put themselves in a position for the luck to play a major role. I definitely don't want to lose to Wisconsin again, but I also don't want to see Iowa get a 2nd West Title before we even have one. Going to be a pretty gross weekend.

So good luck for Iowa, bad luck for Minnesota, but Minnesota also put themselves in a position for the luck to play a major role. I definitely don't want to lose to Wisconsin again, but I also don't want to see Iowa get a 2nd West Title before we even have one. Going to be a pretty gross weekend.
See I disagree with you on the last point. Yes it would suck to see Iowa get the West title, but the only way they win the West is if we beat Wisconsin and frankly I am ok with coming in second in the West at this point if it means a victory over the Badgers and taking back the Axe.

Don't get me wrong, would love the Axe and a trip to Indy but if the other stuff we need to happen doesn't play out the way we hope it does, I'm ok with just leaving the weekend with an 8-4 record and the Axe. Plus the added bonus of knowing we kept Wisconsin from winning the division.

There is a chance as well that Iowa winning on Friday might actually help our guys a little on Saturday. The pressure of winning the West would be all on Wisconsin whereas our guys could just cut it loose and go after the W.

It's bad news IMO.

I think Nebraska with Martinez is a much better team than Nebraska without him. He makes enough mistakes to break their hearts, but I think Nebraska is really going to struggle to move the ball without him.
Sad to say without Martinez the Huskers have absolutely no chance against Iowa. Iowa 28 - Nebraska 7.

Sad to say without Martinez the Huskers have absolutely no chance against Iowa. Iowa 28 - Nebraska 7.
Their chances of winning with a healthy Martinez were probably higher but the good thing for Nebraska is that this didn't happen in game, so they will have the week to get the other guys prepared to be the QBs as opposed to tossing them in there due to injury during a game.

That can make a load of difference. I also think the nothing to lose aspect plays in Nebraska's favor, Frost can dial things up he might not in more pressure filled situations and take some shots. All the pressure is on Iowa to perform and keep their division championship hopes alive. Nebraska is just playing for pride and to beat a rival.

Martinez is 1-8 as a starter vs power five teams this season. Iowa was going to win regardless. They have owned Frost and Martinez for 3 years running. Just like we have.

Coach is correct.

One game championship season against Wisconsin.

Beat the Badger.

We beat Iowa like we should have and there's no worrying about Iowa/Nebraska.

It's been said numerous times in this thread and it's still true.

Martinez was the whole running and passing offense for NE. There never was a competent QB to spell him and never a RB that was as good as he was.
He played many games this season with a broken jaw and Frost suggested he will need surgery for his shoulder injury.
If that is the case, he played in significant pain the second half of the WI game.
Yet some NE fans were happy to see the back ups get a chance.
He deserves better from the NE fans.

This is brutal. It would be nice if luck in sports was evenly distributed. If Penn State's QB doesn't get hurt, the Iowa at Nebraska game wouldn't matter. Now Iowa potentially wins a second game due to playing a backup QB. That's 22.2% of their conference games and the difference between 7-2 and 5-4.

Of course if Minnesota just won the game in Iowa City like they should have, Iowa's luck wouldn't matter. It also wouldn't matter for purposes of the West Division if Minnesota simply beat Illinois as 14.5 point favorites. I went back after that game and tried to find the last time Minnesota won a game when they were underdogs of 14 or more points. I had no luck. The closest I could find was the win at Michigan under Jerry Kill which was in 2014 and was like a 12 point spread.

One thing to note is we did play against Iowa’s backup QB. Even then, we played for field goals.

One thing to note is we did play against Iowa’s backup QB. Even then, we played for field goals.
Good lord this is such a tired narrative.

The only time we "played" for a field goal was right before the half in order to go into the locker room up 3. The rest of the drives we weren't trying to get field goals it just worked out that way. Just because you call a running play it doesn't mean you are trying to play for a field goal. Not sure if this concept is just too difficult for some to grasp or if they are just so desperate to find something to complain about that this conservative idea is what they are going with.

The goal in every drive (when it is realistic) is to get points, preferably a TD but at least a FG depending on how things play out. You run the plays you think will make that possible. Just because we aren't chucking the ball on every play doesn't mean we aren't trying to get in the Endzone.

I think they wanted them to go for it on 4th, more often.

You might want to look at the Maryland/Minnesota game before looking foolish in regards to who was injured before the game.

Every team gets lucky at some point with key injuries to an opponent.

You might want to look at the Maryland/Minnesota game before looking foolish in regards to who was injured before the game.

Every team gets lucky at some point with key injuries to an opponent.
Dude....you are forgetting that you are supposed to pretend to be a fan.....come on....you are better than that....

It'll be very interesting to see how good Logan Smothers is. He can run just as well, if not better than Martinez.

Theres a good chance he could be the full time starter in Lincoln next season.

For the referees on this site, what does this mean?
Haha, the joke here being pretending that the referees aren't all sports bettors, right? ;-)

(but to answer the question, those are American odds, so +200 means a $100 bet win will return $300, while -200 means that a $100 bet win will return $150. The parlay bit means betting on multiple events for a higher payout, but only wins if all events happen. As to which sides of those lines he's talking about betting, not a clue)

It'll be very interesting to see how good Logan Smothers is. He can run just as well, if not better than Martinez.

Theres a good chance he could be the full time starter in Lincoln next season.
Martinez hasn't been much of a runner over the second half of the season. One thing that gives me some hope is with how much Iowa struggled with the toss play we ran against them. Nebraska likes to use option plays which are a similar concept with the added dimension of the QB run in the mix also. Maybe they can use that to exploit the Iowa D some and get on the outside.

Hopefully Smothers threads that needle ......

between playing good enough to not get Frost fired, and playing poorly enough for Iowa to win. :)

Dude....you are forgetting that you are supposed to pretend to be a fan.....come on....you are better than that....
I simply responded to what I felt was a biased opinion.

I realize Gopher fans hate Iowa, but we can still hate them and be objective.

BTW: Did you finish mowing Philip's yard early this week?

You're attempts to defame or embarrass me aren't going unnoticed. But my response to the poster is factually correct. Maryland lost 2 WRs and a starting linebacker the week of the Minnesota game.
Sorry that I don't share your fanboyism.

Last edited:

Top Bottom