AD & Coach to Meet Tuesday

AD & Coach to Meet Tuesday

No, I've been talking about Coyle the whole time. You keep trying to bring up other things because you're wrong about Coyle. I already proved to you he, or any other AD couldn't do anything different in this situation.

The bolded is true though. ;)

Coyle could very well could have met with the team prior to the suspensions being announced, explained how the process works and why they are having to be suspended due to EEOA rules without violating any data privacy (if the suspensions were truly out of his control). Then, immediately after this meeting, or during it for that matter, the U press release could have happened. At the same time he could have established expectations for player and staff communication.

This would have violated nothing. Instead, he just simply put out a press release, left his players and coach with no information, and insinuated in his release that Claeys was part of the decision to suspend the players, which is not true.

Working in a similar field, and having to deal with student data, there is much he could have done differently not to paint the "new 5" players in the same light as the previous five. He chose not to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you read anything I posted? He literally couldn't say anything legally. Open your mind.

He could have said much more than he did without violating any privacy rights. You have no clue how any of this works - stick to the weather.

It seems to me that much of this mess could have been eliminated by a simple meeting. If President Kaler and Director of Athletics Coyle would have met with the team and coaching staff, it might have gone something like this:

(Either Kaler or Coyle): "Guys, there's an investigation going on now, in regard to an event that occurred the night of our first football game. Even though the county attorney has said there's not enough evidence to charge your teammates, the University's Code of Conduct isn't as constraining, and there might be some discipline involved.

"We're not sure what might come of this, but some of the possibilities include expulsion, suspension and probation.

"We'll be happy to answer any questions that we can, but please understand that by law, there are some things that we just can't address with you, due to privacy concerns."

On Tuesday afternoon, it would be good to see another meeting (presser), with Kaler, Coyle and Claeys in front of the assembled media. Again, it might go something like this:

(Either Kaler or Coyle): "We realize that mistakes were made on many levels in regard to this situation, and are determined to not let similar mistakes happen again.

"We are extending Coach Claeys' contract for three years. We feel that he and his staff are best positioned to not only coach our student-athletes, but also to work with University administration to continue to teach our student-athletes and help them make intercollegiate athletics a source of pride, not only in and around the University, but throughout the great state of Minnesota. We look forward to making this happen."

Any interest in the AD job?

Again, go read the cover letter of the leaked EOAA report. The expulsions/suspensions came from Sharon Dzik - Director of the Office for Student Conduct and Academic Integrity. Only Kaler would have a say in that. Your gripe is with Kaler not Coyle. Coyle cannot comment on any of that due to privacy laws. It's possible he didn't even know where the suspensions came from due to privacy laws.

Yet, he writes a press release that he consulted with Claeys and they agreed to suspend the players. Gutless.

Coyle lied when he said Claeys was involved in the decision to suspend the 10 players. That lie is worse than anything Tracy has done in this whole affair.

If you're Coyle, I suppose you could parse the language this way: Kaler, Coyle and Claeys were all involved in the decision, even if the vote was 2-1. Granted, his comment insinuated that Claeys agreed with the suspension.

A proven winner eh? Who is that and what is his record over the last decade in a major conference?

My point was less about "proven winner" and more about hiring an coach to take a program from top 50-75 to top 20.
Chip Kelly or Les Miles or Jim Harbaugh would all be "proven winners" but I'm not saying we're getting any of them. But if you are an AD, and you think by hiring whom-ever, you can elevated to a top 10-20 program, it takes balls to do that when you're not 2-9 for 2 years straight.

That was my point. You might grab a better coach who sees the program isn't facing a total re-build because there might be some new traction in facilities, program changes, leadership, emphasis on successful football, etc.

Fleck is fun to discuss on a message board, but it won't happen. What good coach will come here with this leadership in place?

I have a hard time believing Claeys would be fired at a meeting we all know about. That would be the worst telegraphing in the history of sports. If he was going to be fired, it would have happened shortly after the bowl game. The "expectations" term was used to appease the people who want Claeys fired.

Issue with you're argument is...

You assume the leadership is bad. Usually any leadership offering you piles of cash seems like a good leadership to the person being hired.
The leadership might be bad, but blowing smoke up a new coaches' butt has worked before. Chip Kelly took the 49er job despite their horrible management by Jed York.

Coyle could very well could have met with the team prior to the suspensions being announced, explained how the process works and why they are having to be suspended due to EEOA rules without violating any data privacy (if the suspensions were truly out of his control). Then, immediately after this meeting, or during it for that matter, the U press release could have happened. At the same time he could have established expectations for player and staff communication.

This would have violated nothing. Instead, he just simply put out a press release, left his players and coach with no information, and insinuated in his release that Claeys was part of the decision to suspend the players, which is not true.

Working in a similar field, and having to deal with student data, there is much he could have done differently not to paint the "new 5" players in the same light as the previous five. He chose not to.

+1. This was handled terribly by Coyle and Kaler. If they scapegoat Claeys over a tweet, it will be a pathetic new low for the U.

Guys - for those being critical of MC, you must have missed GWG's post where some of his employees have stated he is a good boss when asked. Apparently that proved the rest of us are wrong to be critical of Coyle. Just wanted to help before you went any further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen a plausible reason for either the AD or the President be accosted on this board or anywhere else for doing what is right and correct in this ungodly affair, emphasis on ungodly.

You meet with the team before you blast out a press release. You don't imply that the coach backed the suspensions when he didn't. And you don't hide under your desk after giving one terse press conference and leave the Coach and President to handle the PR fallout. Sorry but Coyle whiffed big time on his first test as AD. I hope he learned something.

I haven't seen a plausible reason for either the AD or the President be accosted on this board or anywhere else for doing what is right and correct in this ungodly affair, emphasis on ungodly.

You've said that all you're doing is trolling on this subject. Looks like you're still at it then? :cool:

This is structured like a Trump tweet.

It was structured to see if weather guy could see one missed opportunity to lead.

He didn't find one but the last page of posts provides some great examples.

He just didn't want to find one.

You assume the leadership is bad. Usually any leadership offering you piles of cash seems like a good leadership to the person being hired.
The leadership might be bad, but blowing smoke up a new coaches' butt has worked before. Chip Kelly took the 49er job despite their horrible management by Jed York.

Anyone worth their salt smells it out. And there is no assumption here. Kaler and Coyle demonstrated piss poor leadership and management.

Anyone worth their salt smells it out. And there is no assumption here. Kaler and Coyle demonstrated piss poor leadership and management.

Yes. And you don't need to look very hard to see this.

Thoughts

I will be disappointed if Claeys is fired. Coyle is not trustworthy.
Regarding PJ: He worked with the Gopher coaches. Nobody's has been fired at this point. You really think PJ would listen to anything Coyle said now or likely ever? Whose opinion is going to carry more weight? Coyle's words or his fraternity brothers? I see no way PJ considers Minnesota. That would be really slimey. Jmo

The issue with your argument is we won't offer piles of $$$.

IF there is a god I am confident he thinks you are a dbag troll too.

Not only did he not do that, the players have said the way he handled the meeting they did have is WHY they boycotted.

Because legally he couldn't say anything. Do you really think Coyle can talk about players being expelled and suspended from the university to other players? No. Again, what do you want him to say?

Because legally he couldn't say anything. Do you really think Coyle can talk about players being expelled and suspended from the university to other players? No. Again, what do you want him to say?

As others have said, he could have talked to them without specifics. Others have posted enough about this for you to see the light - if you had an open mind. I'm done wasting my time with you on this. You have some overwhelming desire to defend Coyle despite everything and that's your right. Wrong, but carry on.

He could have said much more than he did without violating any privacy rights. You have no clue how any of this works - stick to the weather.

Who says he didn't? You don't know what the discussion was from Coyle to Kaler or Coyle to the team. The players said they didn't get their questions answered about the suspensions. They could have flat out asked why are they being suspended? Coyle's answer couldn't have been 'because they are expelled/suspended from school.'

Back channels or not, I doubt that Coyle has reached out to any coaches at this point. That would put those coaches in a really tough position of campaigning for a position that is already filled. That would be a bad look (especially in the case of Fleck, who has worked with Claeys under Kill). That's why I suspect that Claeys will be back. Perhaps, I'm just being naive though.

Back channels or not, I doubt that Coyle has reached out to any coaches at this point. That would put those coaches in a really tough position of campaigning for a position that is already filled. That would be a bad look (especially in the case of Fleck, who has worked with Claeys under Kill). That's why I suspect that Claeys will be back. Perhaps, I'm just being naive though.

You could be right. I just think that operating through back channels is standard operating procedure for situations like this. It seems like a bad look, but I'm sure Kill did it when he was on the way here (I'm sure Claeys knew what was going on). It's just kind of the nature of the business.

Claeys will still be the coach. I would love if the mods deleted every "new coach" thread tomorrow as "off topic".

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What the hell?

(A statement that can be used often throughout this mess)

AD &amp;amp; Coach to Meet Tuesday

Who says he didn't? You don't know what the discussion was from Coyle to Kaler or Coyle to the team. The players said they didn't get their questions answered about the suspensions. They could have flat out asked why are they being suspended? Coyle's answer couldn't have been 'because they are expelled/suspended from school.'

No, all he said was that he can't say anything. He didn't explain how the process works, what to expect, etc. He didn't take any questions.

What the hell?

(A statement that can be used often throughout this mess)

More examples of Coyle creating confusion? We shouldn't be surprised.

Top Bottom