AD & Coach to Meet Tuesday

PJ Fleck plays his bowl game on Monday. Either decision is going to piss off a certain portion of the fan base, would suck to be Coyle right now but that's why he's paid the big bucks.

It all comes down to the word "expectations." If Coyle wants to get rid of Claeys - without looking like the villain - then all he has to do is set standards/expectations that Claeys will not accept.

I'm just guessing here, based on my reading of Coyle - but my guess tells me that Coyle will try to spin the situation so that it doesn't look like Claeys is being fired. Coyle wants it to look like the two of them simply can't agree on their expectations for the program - leaving the assumption that Coyle wants higher expectations for behavior and conduct.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't trust Coyle to handle this situation openly and honestly.

Given the amount of activity firing Claeys would require, if he was going to be fired, it seems unlikely that three people would have heard about the upcoming meeting but not have heard rumors about the plan to fire him.

Add this to the fact it makes no sense to "(sit) down together to talk about the future and my expectations for our football program" with someone who has no future with the football program.

My guess is the decision is made and Claeys will be asked to stay.

It all comes down to the word "expectations." If Coyle wants to get rid of Claeys - without looking like the villain - then all he has to do is set standards/expectations that Claeys will not accept.

I'm just guessing here, based on my reading of Coyle - but my guess tells me that Coyle will try to spin the situation so that it doesn't look like Claeys is being fired. Coyle wants it to look like the two of them simply can't agree on their expectations for the program - leaving the assumption that Coyle wants higher expectations for behavior and conduct.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't trust Coyle to handle this situation openly and honestly.

I think that's going to be a difficult move. We all know that Claeys wants to be the football coach and he'd likely take a reasonable salary to accept the position.

If they want to move on from Claeys, I really think the best bet is to be direct. They should come out and say "We feel like there have been some off the field issues and as a program we want to move on. Additionally, season ticket sales and enthusiasm for the program are down. We think it is in the best interest of the University of Minnesota to move on at this time."

They shouldn't reference the tweet, but they should meet this head on. If they are going to make that move, they better already have Fleck in their back pocket.

The best coach the University has had in a long time and they are trying to find ways to get rid of him.... This paints one of the pictures why Gopher fb has been mediocre for 60 years... Damn that's maddening :mad:

Given the amount of activity firing Claeys would require, if he was going to be fired, it seems unlikely that three people would have heard about the upcoming meeting but not have heard rumors about the plan to fire him.

Add this to the fact it makes no sense to "(sit) down together to talk about the future and my expectations for our football program" with someone who has no future with the football program.

Usually, I am in the "it would have gotten out" camp when it comes to these things, however, I think Fleck could be the kind of candidate that wants this to remain mum for now even more than the U. I'm not saying that I think Fleck will be hired, I think Claeys would be back. However, if they have Fleck in their back pocket, it would really make sense for him to stay quiet right now (they are in the week of the biggest week in the history of the Western Michigan football program).

The best coach the University has had in a long time and they are trying to find ways to get rid of him.... This paints one of the pictures why Gopher fb has been mediocre for 60 years... Damn that's maddening :mad:

Even Fleck should be leery if he were being targeted... He'd be wise to look elsewhere or ride on at WM until something else comes along.

I think Claeys stays with the same easy buyout. Any outside coach should realize that, the pending series of lawsuits could result in either Kaler, Coyle, or both being fired. It'll take a least a year to see which direction the wind is blowing, so Coyle maintaining an easy out, is the smart move.

Both of these scenarios sound feasible.

I anticipate the "expectations" Coyle has is that his coach's last name is "Fleck" and I don't think Tracy can meet that expectation.

Even Fleck should be leery if he were being targeted... He'd be wise to look elsewhere or ride on at WM until something else comes along.

This is a great job for Fleck. P5 School, close to his home, Big10 West. Michigan and Ohio State have coaches. Wisconsin has a coach. What job is he supposedly waiting for that has as much upside?

If there is anything we've learned about Coyle so far is that he like to keep things quiet.

Probably a reason no leak has happened yet on the coaching search.

Sure seems to me like a change is coming and he's targeting a coach who is coaching this weekend, which would likely be Fleck of course.

For Fleck, it's an attractive job because he has a good team to start with so it's not a 100% turnaround job.

Yeah I mean all coaches with 4-9 record against teams who finished with a winning record should be untouchable...and 2 of those wins were Central Michigan and Colorado St.

This is a great job for Fleck. P5 School, close to his home, Big10 West. Michigan and Ohio State have coaches. Wisconsin has a coach. What job is he supposedly waiting for that has as much upside?

I agree with this.
I'm not saying it's a top 20 program, but for jobs that could be open, it's got pretty good upside.

The Big Ten and SEC are your two best options for football jobs, and the best jobs don't look to be looking for coaches anytime soon. Even Nebraska looks like it's deciding to settle down from it's rapid turnover of coaches and WI is stable as well as is Iowa.

Yeah I mean all coaches with 4-9 record against teams with a winning record should be untouchable...

The mindset of some of these people boggles me.
We have a chance to take a program that's in decent shape football wise with a chance to improve it a notch with a proven winner, what's not to like about that?

It would be nice to hire a coach off of a decent season football-wise instead of always needing a full-blown turnaround.

Yeah I mean all coaches with 4-9 record against teams with a winning record should be untouchable...and 2 of those wins were Central Michigan and Colorado St.

Tons of coaches go 9-4 at the U. Just look at our history.

PJ Fleck plays his bowl game on Monday. Either decision is going to piss off a certain portion of the fan base, would suck to be Coyle right now but <b>that's why he's paid the big bucks.</b>

Ahhh, that's why. After watching Coyle at work recently I couldn't come up with the reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhh, that's why. After watching Coyle at work recently I couldn't come up with the reason.

Yeah and you still think Coyle lied or had some sort of control over the suspensions. Which he didn't.

Yeah and you still think Coyle lied or had some sort of control over the suspensions. Which he didn't.

Didn't the guy fire Robinson? I agree he's doing what he can at this point

Well, I think Coyle lied, which he did, but never said he had control on the suspensions (although he could have, I don't know for sure). I also think he is a terrible communicator, a very poor leader, appears to be lost and over his head, that his "I like to be behind the scenes" approach is horsesh*t, that he is the reason the team boycotted (according to the players), that he failed twice at diffusing the boycott situation, has lost respect from his coaches, donors, and alumni, and that he looks out for himself instead of the University. You and UpN on the other hand like him because one of you is a crazy loon and the other hopes he'll bring their man-crush PJF here.

There is absolutely no way Claeys is let go. It would have been done the day after the game. There are no decisions being made around the coach of a MAC team. Lots of wasted energy...

I could understand either direction regarding Claeys. I'd extend him a year or two if he'd be willing to keep a low buyout and put him on double-secret probation next year. His recruiting struggles this year and the sluggish ticket sales might be weighing on the new AD who might want to bring in his own guy to finish the fundraising effort.

I think Harsin is more viable than people are acknowledging. Coyle traveled to Idaho this week, he hired him at Boise St, and he could double his salary. The timing of the meeting and Fleck's schedule is also worth acknowledging as intriguing.

My prediction... Claeys is extended with a low buyout and Coyle/Kaler get to tell the public the topic accountability was addressed prior to the extension.

Well, I think Coyle lied, which he did, but never said he had control on the suspensions (although he could have, I don't know for sure). I also think he is a terrible communicator, a very poor leader, appears to be lost and over his head, that his "I like to be behind the scenes" approach is horsesh*t, that he is the reason the team boycotted (according to the players), that he failed twice at diffusing the boycott situation, has lost respect from his coaches, donors, and alumni, and that he looks out for himself instead of the University. You and UpN on the other hand like him because one of you is a crazy loon and the other hopes he'll bring their man-crush PJF here.

And you are completely wrong, which I already proved in the Beth Goetz thread. In his post boycott interview, Claeys even went out of his way to say that Coyle is a good boss. Just like everyone else has said about Coyle in the past.

You and others don't like Coyle for 3 reasons:
1. You're afraid he's going to fire Claeys either in the next few days or after next season.
2. You wanted him stand in front of the media and say things that are illegal.
3. You want him to publicly throw his new boss under the bus.

2 and 3 were never going to happen.

The only way I am okay with Claey's getting fired is if Fleck or someone comparable is hired the next day. No coaching searches. No delays. Hire someone else and move on.

If I were a coach, there is no way I touch this job if Coyle is the boss.

And you are completely wrong, which I already proved in the Beth Goetz thread. In his post boycott interview, Claeys even went out of his way to say that Coyle is a good boss. Just like everyone else has said about Coyle in the past.

You and others don't like Coyle for 3 reasons:
1. You're afraid he's going to fire Claeys either in the next few days or after next season.
2. You wanted him stand in front of the media and say things that are illegal.
3. You want him to publicly throw his new boss under the bus.

2 and 3 were never going to happen.

You really are a tool. You proved nothing in the Beth thread although others proved you wrong. You prove over and over on this board that you see/hear what you want to. Your hatred for TC controls you dude. Did he insult a cold front or something?

Please show me where I asked for 2 or 3.

Finally, and this is the frosting on the cake - your argument is that Coyle is a good boss because some of his employees have said so. Yeah, that makes sense. Everyone always tells others exactly what they think of their boss. Trust me GWG - if your employees say they like you, they really don't.

Top Bottom