Actual chance at beating Ohio State?

As others have said, we will need to play perfect and will need to force their QB into making some mistakes. If that happens we have a definite shot to pull the upset.

Assuming we don't have any major injuries or Covid issues leading into the first game, we are setup much better to compete in this one than we were last year against Michigan.

1. Kicking game should be more stable with the transfer kickers
2. Defense is much more experienced.
3. Offense will have had plenty of time to fully learn Sanford's system
4. We will actually have a home field advantage with fans packing the Bank. This could be big with an inexperienced QB at the helm for Ohio State. Get loud and make him uncomfortable.

We will be significant underdogs and if OSU wins it won't be shocking. But the opportunity is there is we play well to pull the upset. Would be an amazing way to kick off the 2021 season if we are able to find a way to make it happen.

We need to play a perfect game. Rattle the new qb early... Win the turnovers and have flawless special teams
No you don’t. You need to play really well. But one mistake doesn’t mean you’re done

MN beat auburn two seasons ago while giving up a kick return touchdown

No you don’t. You need to play really well. But one mistake doesn’t mean you’re done

MN beat auburn two seasons ago while giving up a kick return touchdown
Agreed with your first comment, but this isn't 2019 Auburn, it's a big step up from that.

As my dad always used to say, there are two chances: slim and none.

Agreed with your first comment, but this isn't 2019 Auburn, it's a big step up from that.
Disagree. It’s a good team. They haven’t played a game with this quarterback. They replace a lot.

2021 week 1 Ohio state is no better than jan 1, 2020 auburn.
I also think jan 1, 2020 minnesota is better than week 1 2021 Minnesota and substantially better,

How much chance did Purdue have in 2018 when they upset them? Probably a similar % to what we have this season. 9 times out of 10, OSU wins, but maybe the stars align and that 1 out of 10 game happens this year for us.

Disagree. It’s a good team. They haven’t played a game with this quarterback. They replace a lot.

2021 week 1 Ohio state is no better than jan 1, 2020 auburn.
I also think jan 1, 2020 minnesota is better than week 1 2021 Minnesota and substantially better,
You're telling me you would put money on 2019 Outback Bowl Auburn to beat 2021 week 1 OSU? They may have a new QB but Auburn had Bo Nix who is nothing special to say the least, and he didn't have the weapons that OSU will have on offense.

You're telling me you would put money on 2019 Outback Bowl Auburn to beat 2021 week 1 OSU? They may have a new QB but Auburn had Bo Nix who is nothing special to say the least, and he didn't have the weapons that OSU will have on offense.
Bo is due to take off this year!!!!

/s

Meyer's Buckeye's dropped 4 games to unranked teams during his tenure. Day could be better at getting them ready for games, but there's still some chance that we could do it, how ever small.

Win the turnover battle and create big offensive plays early in the game: in the 1977 Michigan game it was an early Carlson to Anhorn pass—only about 17 yards but it showed Minnesota would attack downfield with a QB with limited experience and then the fourth down Marian Barber TD on the second possession. Arrange for Rick Leach to start at QB for OSU...

I think we will have some success on offense. Can we slow them down enough? Seems like we’d have a shot if we can hold them under 30.

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of "has to".
"Has to" in terms of this program with a signature win against a top notch program. Many people want to say the win over PSU in 2019 would classify as a signature win, but their narrow win over Memphis in their bowl game proves they were overrated most of the year.

I know we have a few posters, maybe yourself included, that don't agree we have a real good chance to beat tOSU. I guess if you want to keep expectations low so as to not be disappointed... that's on you.

The national publicity would go thru the roof with a Gopher victory. That is what catches the attention of elite high school players.

"Has to" in terms of this program with a signature win against a top notch program. Many people want to say the win over PSU in 2019 would classify as a signature win, but their narrow win over Memphis in their bowl game proves they were overrated most of the year.
You mean Penn State's 14 point victory over #17 ranked Memphis? That win invalidates their 11-2 2019 season? Wow, you are either not the brightest bulb on the tree or bad at trolling.

Ohio State’s inexperience, if you will, is at QB and at LB. All LBs will be making their first college starts, too. If our OL can handle Ohio State’s DL and get some blockers thru to the second level, Mo could have a good day. Of course, all the “inexperienced” Ohio State guys are 5 stars or high 4 stars, but still, some chance of vulnerability. Score 35 points and win takeaway battle by two, and Gophers could well win.

You mean Penn State's 14 point victory over #17 ranked Memphis? That win invalidates their 11-2 2019 season? Wow, you are either not the brightest bulb on the tree or bad at trolling.
That's an impressive win to you?
Memphis...LOL.

Outside the NY6, bowl games are for the local Chambers.

You didn't understand what I was even stating. I said a victory over tOSU would be a "signature win". Far better than what some here have tried to claim the win over PSU was in 2019. The eventual losses to Iowa and Wisconsin really tempered the 2019 season.

The Gophers will have every advantage possible in the Buckeye game given where tOSU and Minnesota are right now.

That's an impressive win to you?

Outside the NY6, bowl games are for the local Chambers.

You didn't understand what I was even stating. I said a victory over tOSU would be a "signature win". Far better than what some here have tried to claim the win over PSU was in 2019. The eventual losses to Iowa and Wisconsin really tempered the 2019 season.

The Gophers will have every advantage possible in the Buckeye game given where tOSU and Minnesota are right now.
A 14 point win over the #17 team is impressive. Penn State finished #9 in the country that year, so apparently you are the only person that thought they had an unimpressive season. Keep in mind the Gophers also beat Auburn, who were #10 when we beat them.

A 14 point win over the #17 team is impressive. Penn State finished #9 in the country that year, so apparently you are the only person that thought they had an unimpressive season. Keep in mind the Gophers also beat Auburn, who were #10 when we beat them.
For the third time...beating tOSU is a greater win.

Dude is just here to bitch at any chance ... even when there is no chance.

I know we have a few posters, maybe yourself included, that don't agree we have a real good chance to beat tOSU. I guess if you want to keep expectations low so as to not be disappointed... that's on you.

The national publicity would go thru the roof with a Gopher victory. That is what catches the attention of elite high school players.
Not a fan of the whole "signature win" concept. But that win over PSU was huge in 2019 regardless of what happened when they played Memphis.

As for the Ohio State game. We absolutely have a chance to win that game but it shouldn't be an expectation. It isn't about keeping expectations low in order to avoid disappointment it is about being realistic that we might not be to the point yet where we are ready to compete with one of the best teams in the country.

I mean this is an Ohio State team that since 2012 has not lost more than 2 games in a season. That is an unreal run of success.

Have been saying all along that I love the fact that we are facing them in week 1. If there is a time to spring a big upset that would be it, before the settle into a grove and start rolling. But believing we have a shot to win if things break our way and expecting to win the game are very different things.

Top Bottom