A New Spin on the UofM KFAN feud.

"They just state the facts when talking about gopher football

No, they don't which is the main complaint around here, which you chose to ignore until now? When the number of responders are pettering out?

Hey, I apologize for saying you sound like an idiot. I didn't realize that you were trying to do that.

My mistake.

What are a few slanderous lies that KFAN has talked about on their station? Tell me specifics of what really bothers you about what they discuss instead of just saying they are negative.

The example I can think of right now is them reporting our recruiting class as #11 in the Big Ten on signing day. No major recruiting service had the Gophers ranked there.

Let me respond is a calm analytical manner so you can rip me in the next post.

1.) You said that they were around before the pro teams, which the Twins and Vikings came in 1961, so for you to remember cheering on the gophers before the pro teams you would have to be bare minimum of 55. Sorry, I was a few years off, but that still would only make you 6 when the Vikes and Twins came, so more than likely you are 60+.

2.) Yes the U has been around since 1851 I believe, but SCSU was 1869 and Mankato was 1867. What does that matter. I think we are just arguing over the symantics of "institution", so not really worth arguing about.

3.) Don't even come at me with the "I'm older than you so therefore I know more than you" arguement. All I'm saying is that the culture with young people is changing and they cheer for the pro teams more because they have been around their whole life. That is all I was saying and being that I'm younger than you I believe I would be more informed on what younger people think according to your criteria. I understand that the U has deep roots and cheering on the gophers used to be huge, but you have to admit the pendulum is swinging to the pro teams.

4.) Your comments proved my point that people in rural areas care more about Vikings, etc. than the gophers. And yes I left out the Wolves because they aren't relevant. I used to be a big KG fan but don't really care about basketball much anymore.

5.) The only reason I bring up hockey is because it has the most D1 teams to compare the gophers to. By the way hockey is only my third favorite sport and I used to love the gophers growing up. Now if my team gets beat in the NCAA tourney then I cheer for the gophers if they move on. I just don't like what the gopher hockey team has turned into.

There I laid out my points with reasons behind my arguements, so go ahead and rip away. I have no problem with differing opinions, but please come at me with valid arguements. Not you suck, or you don't get it, and other valuable comments.

I didn't use those terms before so why would I now.

I was only pointing out some things you wrongly assumed and some things that were obvious.

I think this thread has delivered quite a few responses. See you on another thread.

What are a few slanderous lies that KFAN has talked about on their station? Tell me specifics of what really bothers you about what they discuss instead of just saying they are negative.

not lies......just bullschit information

this is a repost of mine from another thread....read it and enjoy

This was in a 10 minute span when little danny was talking on gopher signing day.

1. They said Minnesota had no 4 star recruits.......wrong, they had 2

2. They said weber had regressed once brewster was brought in........ah, brewster has always been his coach. The clown azzez thought weber had worked under a different coach.

3. The iowa clown, who is his sidekick, then went on about how great ferentz did because he took his 2006 class to the orange bowl. That class was ranked low. Thats what happens when you coach them up was the cry. After the iowa guy said this, danny piled on with it too. Ah, 2005 and 2007 were the core of that iowa team, but they went with ferentz's low ranked 2006 class. The 2007 class was ranked 11th in the country and the 2005 class was ranked very high also. Almost there entire starters were 2005 and 2007. The sad part is I don't think those clowns know they even pulled a fast one on that. Barreiro had no clue what he said or what just happened, he just went with the iowa guy.

4. Then they focused on our 11th ranked recruiting class in the big 10 because that's where scout has us. Nevermind that the recruiting service that most everyone uses(rivals) has us ranked 6th in the conference right next to iowa and ahead of wisconsin. It didn't fit the agenda. Then again, maybe Danny has never heard of rivals. When you are busy solving the worlds political problems etc, you don't have much time for stuff like recruiting services.

5. Then they quickly hit on royce white and how they kind of feel for tubby and how tubby needs another year or two to get the program totally running when he has been here the same time as brewster.

6. One guys name they did know was Beau Allen. Man was it a travesty that we didnt get him. We just cant lose a guy like him to a rival like Wisconsin. They could understand losing a guy like Henderson, but not the number 5 guy in the state Beau Allen. There was no mention or knowledge of the fact that both of Allens parents were University of Wisconsin alums. There was also no mention of the fact the gophers got the number 2 ranked player out of wisconsin(parish). Hilarious

This was in 10-15 minutes. Just one dumbazz statement after the next. This is what roystons dad is talking about. If you don't know a dam thing about the subject, stick with politics and movies.

4. Then they focused on our 11th ranked recruiting class in the big 10 because that's where scout has us. Nevermind that the recruiting service that most everyone uses(rivals) has us ranked 6th in the conference right next to iowa and ahead of wisconsin. It didn't fit the agenda. Then again, maybe Danny has never heard of rivals. When you are busy solving the worlds political problems etc, you don't have much time for stuff like recruiting services.

Scout had Illinois at #11.

There's the thing; they don't. They mis-pronounce players names, don't know how many four-star recruits were in the class and got the team's conference ranking wrong. And those were the errors for just last week. There have been plenty of others. The only fact they consistently seem to use is that Gopher football hasn't won anything since 1961 or whatever and use it as justification to be sloppy in their reporting and statements regarding Gopher sports.

I don't understand why folks have such a hard time comprehending that it's not about negativity or amount of coverage, it's about being factually correct. If they were both, there wouldn't be a problem. But as has been shown many, many times, they aren't.

You are only talking about the recruiting. Most people know nothing about this. As far as four star recruits and the conference ranking it depends on which website you look at. Some had the U middle of the pack and others had them at the bottom. As far as mis-pronouncing names of recruits how are they supposed to know how their names are pronounced? They aren't even U of M players yet, just recruits. Nobody's perfect, sometimes they mess up Vikings players names as well, it happens.

The example I can think of right now is them reporting our recruiting class as #11 in the Big Ten on signing day. No major recruiting service had the Gophers ranked there.

The Strib said the one of the major ones had them as 11. That's not KFAN"s fault. Also you are only hearing what you want to hear. They also meantioned that other sites had them higher, but you only want to hear the negative stuff they said so you can rip them.

Can anyone say 3 game winning streak?

Although they talk Gophs more than Wolves

Wow, now they are tied for the second least number of the wins in the league instead of having that distinction all alone. Also, the only way you can say they talk about the Gophers more than the Wolves is if you include every negative, uninformed, and snide comment about the U and that would be 95% of the total discussion.

The Strib said the one of the major ones had them as 11. That's not KFAN"s fault. Also you are only hearing what you want to hear. They also meantioned that other sites had them higher, but you only want to hear the negative stuff they said so you can rip them.

How the hell is it not KFAN's fault that they can't research something easily research-able on the internet?! That, and I was not aware that they mentioned other sites having them higher (although I question why it wasn't balanced against the low rating). I don't listen to KFAN.

You are only talking about the recruiting. Most people know nothing about this. As far as four star recruits and the conference ranking it depends on which website you look at. Some had the U middle of the pack and others had them at the bottom. As far as mis-pronouncing names of recruits how are they supposed to know how their names are pronounced? They aren't even U of M players yet, just recruits. Nobody's perfect, sometimes they mess up Vikings players names as well, it happens.

Wow, give me a break. A minimal investment of time would give them more knowledge of recruiting than they currently have. I would guess 99% of the people on this board know more about recruiting than anyone at Kfan does and thats very sad for a "sports talk station". Also, how are they supposed to know how to pronounce names?! Its their freakin job to know how to pronounce names! They are supposed to be professional sports radio announcers/commentators in a major market. If my grandmother who doesn't know Jimmy Gjere from Adam were to mispronounce Jimmy's name then I can understand that but someone who spouts off constantly as being a professional know-it-all should definitely know.

Point No. 1. So what? That's your argument? That "I'm only talking about recruiting" so it's okay to talk about it without getting the facts regarding recruiting correct? Okay, got it.

Point No. 2. Those were their errors for LAST WEEK ALONE. They make errors virtually every time they talk about the Gophers in one way, shape or form. But I understand you being alright with consistent factual errors regarding the Gophers. You've said so many times already.

I'd be interested to know which one rated them #11 because it wasn't Rivals, Scout or ESPN. And as far as I know, those are the major recruiting sites.

How the hell is it not KFAN's fault that they can't research something easily research-able on the internet?! That, and I was not aware that they mentioned other sites having them higher (although I question why it wasn't balanced against the low rating). I don't listen to KFAN.

What KFAN and most of the hosts are saying is that recruiting is very subjective and doesn't really mean that much which is why they don't pay much attention to it. It's not that they are just ripping gopher recruiting rank, they are ripping all the ranks because they are mostly useless. Mason consistantly had lower ranked recruits than Brewster but had better teams. That may prove that Brewster is a bad coach, but it can also mean that recruit ranking are subjective and shouldn't been looked at as fact. They are just approximations, which is why Scout/Rivals/ESPN can differ so much in their rankings.

What during the actual football season did KFAN get wrong or slander about? That is what is more important than what rival.com says.

To your last comment I really don't feel that KFAN is slanderous which was what I first wanted to comment when I started this thread. They just state the facts when talking about gopher football. When Weber has that good game against Michigan State that said he played well as did the rest of the offense, but the defense was terrible. Was that not what happened? Then after that game Weber regressed badly. They aren't ripping Weber, they are just trying figure out if the coaching is the problem or if something is wrong with him. What is wrong with that? It seems like the coaches have hurt Weber and we'd like to see him play like he did last year, what is negative about that? We want him to get better, not hoping he gets worse.

Notice how PokerKing changes from discussing KFAN as 'them' to 'we.' Could PokerKing be a KFAN employee or associate? It would explain some things.

The clown has no interest in this discussion, only in continuing it. He couldn't possibly be as slow witted as he portrays himself to be. Well, only if he was a KFAN sidekick...

He gets solid answers and then ignores them to focus on other points.:horse: Much like Miini Sota, GopherRecruit, Dan Cole, Barrerio, Wren, Cheech and Chong, Triumph the Insult Dog etc., etc.

Unlike the last three guys, he's not even funny.:banghead:

I originally was not gonna say anything but I guess I will throw my two cents in response to the original post. When you talk about college sports, who do you talk about? Certainly not St. Thomas, Concordia, Augsburg, Bethel, or any other school. It's the U. D1 sports and all...

Here are my thoughts on why KFAN doesn't spend that much time on U of M sports. First, as mentioned before this is a pro sports town with four major pro sports teams that take up most of the time.

Next, my major reason why KFAN shouldn't spend more time with U of M sports is because not everyone went to the U of M! I grew up in outstate Minnesota and moved her after college and am now 30 and it always amazes my how many people in the cities just assumes everyone went to the U. It's obnoxious to say the least. Is ridiculous to think that we should spend all this time talking about gopher sports when probably only about 1/4 (if that) of the KFAN listening audience actually went to the U. Even in the twin cities there not even the majority of people go to the U. Think of all the people that go to St. Thomas, Augsburg, Macalester, Bethel, Northwestern, Concordia St. Paul, etc.... These numbers are way higher than the U, but you don't see them whining like you guys.

Just look at college hockey for instance. There are four other schools in division 1 hockey in the state besides the gophers but all they talk about is the U. If you add up the enrollments of St. Cloud State, UMD, Bemidji State, and MSU Mankato they are equal to the enrollment of the U of M. Funny but I don't hear any of you complaining about how they aren't breaking down UMD hockey and how they and St. Cloud are first in the WCHA right now. I figure KFAN spends about 2 hours a week talking gopher hockey, so to be fair they should spend that much time talking college hockey about the other Minnesota division 1 hockey schools, right?

You gopher fans just need to realize that in the big picture of sports in this state the U of M just isn't as important as you would like it to be. I would love to have Kevin Gorg break down St. Cloud State or UMD hockey on PA's show instead talking about Don Lucia and the under acheiving gophers, but even I realize that just isn't going to happen. KFAN does their best to fit in segments of gopher sports, but you just need to realize the gophers just aren't that important compared to the Viking and Twins.

im sorry but this post isnt thought out real well! when it comes to talk radio and college sports the reality of it all is there are only 2 sports worth talking about. Football and basketball. Yes we are hockey usa blah blah blah, but only 2 sports get any real national publicity. so your hockey comments dont hold weight-especially since hockey is the only sport in the state that offers more than 1 team at the highest amatuer level.

i havent posted in quite a while so here is my quick vent session about kfan! my biggest issue is that they arent objective, they go out of their way to rip brewster and claim he is a fraud. which is funny because i think he has been more successful than tubby to this point. what has tubby done yet? we were one and done last year and this year its looking like we are a long way from the ncaa tourney. i think both squads have had their set backs which has hurt them. maybe if the metro media was able to spotlight positives and then highlight problem areas without ripping everything gopher related it would be fine. however they go out of their way to pick something out of context and ride it until its dead. like the rose bowl deal with brew-i love how he reached for the stars and potentially set himself up for disaster but he was looking for big things in the future-he never said rose bowl 2010!

what have the vikings done? they have never won anything-why not rip that? why not say its been nothing but failure for the vikes for their entire history? why not rip the twins about running on the cheap as hard as they rip brew for struggling in virtually 2 years of coaching? what have the twolves or wild done? they rip the u because they know that gopher fans get pissed off and listen. i started to ramble so im out!

Hey EApokerking and KFAN - you always look at the most negative press and then try to make a big deal about it. GFY AH's.

win and they will love us, keep losing and they will ignore us. Case in point the blunder puppies.

If I was really being a troll and making stuff up wouldn't I been more than one year off? Wouldn't I have said 29 once then 45 in another post or something?

I don't know? Most of us here aren't trolls, so how would we know what a troll would say? Just saying.

KFAN FEUD

Does anyone actually listen to KFAN??? Last I heard they were pretty far down the food chain.

People don't follow the Gophers just because they are on TV. I remember when it was a rare treat to get to see the Gophers on TV, people still followed them, despite the fact that radio was the only option for most games. You can listen to a Gophers game all over the state, I believe there are 40 radio stations covering Gophers football, with slightly less stations covering basketball and hockey.

The D-II and D-III teams in the state simply aren't nearly on the same footing as the U. I'm not an alumni of the U, I went to Bemidji State. There are an awful lot of people who are Gopher fans but didn't attend the U, because the University of Minnesota represents the state of Minnesota. That's nothing against these programs, I follow Bemidji State sports, and try to get to games on the rare occasion that I am in Bemidji on the day of a game.

Hockey is its own little world, people do compartmentalize. Just because someone is a fan of one of the U's hockey opponents doesn't mean they aren't fans of the Gophers for other sports. If I go to a sports bar in outstate Minnesota, I'm going to be able to watch the Gophers, and I won't be alone.

There are a lot more people following Gopher sports around the state than some people recognize.

KFAN has this whole FEUD thing planned and hopes this hits the WCCO, Strib and other local markets just to get publicity.

Interesting that KFAN now has a major competitor (KSTP) in town for the sports listener. KFAN is horrible when it comes to the Gophers, I will be tuning in to KSTP and hope to hear some informative (noticed I didn't say more or even positive) discussion regarding gopher athletics, if not then I guess back to the norm!

You have to be kidding if you think that the U of M sports teams are more of an "institution" than the Viking or Twins. As you said in your post you were around before the 4 sports teams so you must be at least 60. I think this is part of why our opinions differ so much. Obviously people 60+ are gophers fans because that is all they had growing up. I'm only 29 and bleed purple. I love the Viking, Twins, and Wild. You need to realize the the times are changing. Maybe back in the 50's and 60's the gophers were the big team in outstate MN but not anymore. Have you been to a sports bar anywhere outside of the 494 loup lately? All the signs and posters in the bars are Vikings, Twins, and Wild. You never see any Maroon and Gold. I'm not saying people should hate the gophers, I'm just saying they care much more about the Vikings and Twins. This is another reason why the gopher hockey team just isn't and won't be what it used to be. Back in the day kids grew up dreaming about the gophers and only the gophers, but now they have many more teams to dream of playing for that you don't get those die hard gopher hockey guys anymore. Now you get a bunch of talented but lazy players that play for the gophers for the prestige of it and not for the love of the team.

huh? are you for real?! who cares if you are 29. i'm only 30 and i bleed maroon & gold, and purple & gold, and red, white, blue, etc, etc. who cares if you are 60, 40, 20, 15, etc. that doesn't mean anything and is completely irrelevant, but i am sure you completely missed that point during your rant.

actually, what YOU need to realize is that you are talking out of your "you know what". btw - it rhymes with "gas".

please get a clue kid. :rolleyes:

Here are my thoughts on why KFAN doesn't spend that much time on U of M sports. First, as mentioned before this is a pro sports town with four major pro sports teams that take up most of the time.

Next, my major reason why KFAN shouldn't spend more time with U of M sports is because not everyone went to the U of M! I grew up in outstate Minnesota and moved her after college and am now 30 and it always amazes my how many people in the cities just assumes everyone went to the U. It's obnoxious to say the least. Is ridiculous to think that we should spend all this time talking about gopher sports when probably only about 1/4 (if that) of the KFAN listening audience actually went to the U. Even in the twin cities there not even the majority of people go to the U. Think of all the people that go to St. Thomas, Augsburg, Macalester, Bethel, Northwestern, Concordia St. Paul, etc.... These numbers are way higher than the U, but you don't see them whining like you guys.

Just look at college hockey for instance. There are four other schools in division 1 hockey in the state besides the gophers but all they talk about is the U. If you add up the enrollments of St. Cloud State, UMD, Bemidji State, and MSU Mankato they are equal to the enrollment of the U of M. Funny but I don't hear any of you complaining about how they aren't breaking down UMD hockey and how they and St. Cloud are first in the WCHA right now. I figure KFAN spends about 2 hours a week talking gopher hockey, so to be fair they should spend that much time talking college hockey about the other Minnesota division 1 hockey schools, right?

You gopher fans just need to realize that in the big picture of sports in this state the U of M just isn't as important as you would like it to be. I would love to have Kevin Gorg break down St. Cloud State or UMD hockey on PA's show instead talking about Don Lucia and the under acheiving gophers, but even I realize that just isn't going to happen. KFAN does their best to fit in segments of gopher sports, but you just need to realize the gophers just aren't that important compared to the Viking and Twins.

You have a point, but not really. As others have already pointed out, being the only school in the state for football and basketball means everyone roots for you. I grew up in outstate Minnesota too, and almost no one I knew went to the U. But everyone rooted for the Gopher basketball team and many rooted for the football team too. It was no different then rooting for the Twins or Vikings. Gopher basketball ruled during the winter, both before and after the T-wolves existed.

You have a point, but not really. As others have already pointed out, being the only school in the state for football and basketball means everyone roots for you. I grew up in outstate Minnesota too, and almost no one I knew went to the U. But everyone rooted for the Gopher basketball team and many rooted for the football team too. It was no different then rooting for the Twins or Vikings. Gopher basketball ruled during the winter, both before and after the T-wolves existed.

Agreed, I am 35 and grew up with no desire to attend the U, but grew up absolutely loving Gopher basketball and Gopher Football and I still do. In College I followed the Gophers much more than my own University, wore my Gopher gear and always talked up the teams with my friends. Bleeding maroon and gold has nothing to do with attending the U, it has everything to do with it being our State's University and everyone should have that Gopher pride because of it is ours. The Vikings, Twins, etc.. can all move if they don't get what they want, The University will always be Minnesota's.

Top Bottom